New New Holland

/ New New Holland #1  

James Mason

Tractor
2020 Workmaster 60
Purchased a 60 hp to replace a 20-year old 40 hp that had become unreliable due to electrical problems. I've got 54 hrs. on the new one and already have a second no start problem. This one appears to be related to the seat safety system. First time I jumped on the seat and it finally allowed it to start. Since then no luck with that action.

Anyone have a idea? It's an all day trip to the dealer. Wish I had not bought another New Holland.

/ New New Holland #2  
You could try bypassing the seat switch. You could also contact the dealer for suggestions. They may have had similar seat switch problems and could even offer to mail you a new one at no charge. It's worth a try.

/ New New Holland #3  
Have you looked at the safety switch wiring under the seat? If you got it to work by jumping on it, maybe it's loose or the connection came apart.

I had to override the seat safety switch on my MF1540 because the seat would freeze in the winter and the switch could not detect any weight on the seat.

/ New New Holland
You could try bypassing the seat switch. You could also contact the dealer for suggestions. They may have had similar seat switch problems and could even offer to mail you a new one at no charge. It's worth a try.
Thanks Roadworthy. I have not had time to work on it, but that was my first though also. Could be one of those connectors as well. The counter point in this is now the dash lights up but no start. so, now not sure it isn't something more serious.

/ New New Holland
I'll report back after I have had time to mess with it. thanks

/ New New Holland #6  
Would be rather surprised if it were the seat switch after only 54 hours.

And going from a simple wired tractor to a more complicated one?

Anyway, since all we know is that you get dash lights; is the starter selnoid triggering, is the glow indicator working (providing it is a diesel), are your lights and signals working?

Myself, I suspect the brake/clutch saftey switch or the pto lockout switch long before the seat switch on a new tractor. That said, I have also had an ignition switch failure shortly after it being installed.

/ New New Holland
Starter solenoid does not activate. Only reason I said seat was that the first time I jumped up and down on it, the tractor started. since then no, but when I jump on the seat, the dash lights light up. Not sure about the other lights or glow plug. Not at the tractor right now.

/ New New Holland #8  
So why didnt you call the dealer you got it from?
would have been my first call.

Something simple it would be fixed over the phone. If not they would likely send a tech out on warranty.

/ New New Holland
Likely not. They send out a truck to haul it in for $350. Been here before. I'm due for 50 hr. service, so will figure out how to load the dead tractor and haul it in to the dealer.

Are you getting field service on your NH mini excavator?

/ New New Holland
Starter solenoid does not activate. Only reason I said seat was that the first time I jumped up and down on it, the tractor started. since then no, but when I jump on the seat, the dash lights light up. Not sure about the other lights or glow plug. Not at the tractor right now.
So I just went through the process and noted the following: All shifters in neutral, PTO disconnected, clutch depressed, and parking break on. turn key, 3 lights come on-parking break, oil, and battery. Nothing happens. Try again bounce seat for good measure. All dash lights light up, no start. Leaving key in on position, no lights or turn signals work, no horn. Only thing that works is the emergency flashers. Battery is charged.

Very difficult to access the wire connectors under the seat and other safety wires under there. May have to remove the seat. doesn't fold up like the old 40 hp tractors.

I'll have to load the dead tractor and haul it in to the dealer again. It's due for 50 hr. service, so I can at least justify the 2 hr. trip. So much for being a loyal New Holland customer.