New (old) Drill Press

/ New (old) Drill Press #1  

downsizingnow48

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B21
I have been reading all the posts on backhoe thumbs and coming to the conclusion I need to build one for my B21. The first obstacle is getting a real drill press that can drill 1 inch holes in thick steel plate. To make a long story short, I found this great old Craftsman drill press from the 1948-1950 period for $125. Originally sold with no motor, it came with a newer Craftsman dual voltage 1/2 HP. The machine has no wear in any component, I'm told the original buyer, now along in years, preferred a larger floor press and so it sat unused most the time for the last 60+ years. Even the chuck and chuck key are unmarked. Best of all, it has the optional multi-speed attachment which provides for drilling RPM from 175 up to 9835. That was a $10 option on an $80 dollar machine at the time. Stay tuned for thumb progress. PS, it came with a home made stand painted Craftsman red. Made with 1/8 inch angle and 1/4 inch plate. I dont need the stand but it will make a decent anvil.

Attachments

• DrillPress.jpg
    DrillPress.jpg
    680.5 KB · Views: 534
   / New (old) Drill Press #2  
Many old presses are very stout and well built...

Looks like a keeper...

Whenever I have to drill larger holes in steel... slow with cutting oil and I work my way up until I get to the size drill hole I need...

/ New (old) Drill Press #3  
Bet it is better than my Clark! I need a better one!

/ New (old) Drill Press #4  
The slower the better when drilling steel, Keeps the drill bits from dulling.

/ New (old) Drill Press #5  
Very nice find. I would grab that one in a new york second.

/ New (old) Drill Press #6  
I like the old drill press, my late model 1hp floor model is junk by comparison. Low speeds below 100 rpm are more desirable.

To drill one inch holes in plate if the tolerance is okay I use hole saws, requires less torque and cuts mild steel fairly well. I would use my drill press but like most of the ones I see it turns way too fast for this. If I need precision holes drilled I would take the work to a machine shop.

/ New (old) Drill Press #7  
I like the old drill press, my late model 1hp floor model is junk by comparison. Low speeds below 100 rpm are more desirable.

To drill one inch holes in plate if the tolerance is okay I use hole saws, requires less torque and cuts mild steel fairly well. I would use my drill press but like most of the ones I see it turns way too fast for this. If I need precision holes drilled I would take the work to a machine shop.
I like the big 1" plus bits under 100 rpm,and lots a oil. Usually you can't/won't find it at lowes or home depot, if u buy one of there's your lookin at 1/2 in holes for the most part.if your carefull. Don't push it.

/ New (old) Drill Press #8  
My drill press of joice is my old Model J bridgeport...