New Old toy

/ New Old toy #1  

tjkubota93

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota bx1860
Bought a 346xp oe

Looks like I was the first to run it. Took cat muffler off and put on a hollow one with 1/2" pipe and cut the limiters off the screws. So far have turned them 1/2 or 3/4 turn out.

/ New Old toy
1509052168144.jpg

/ New Old toy #3  
Very nice! I've heard a lot of good things about that saw.

How do you cut the limiters off? I just bought a Jonsered 2166 and converted it to basically a 2172/372 XP as well as adding a 5/8 pipe to the muffler and there wasn't even a 1/4 turn left to go counterclockwise on either the low or high adjustment screws. Those limiters seem pretty hard to get at. I would assume it's a pretty similar between the carbs on our saws?

Last edited:
   / New Old toy
1509065596804.jpgI used these mac Mini Long-Reach Diagonal Cutter 5-3/4"

Bought a set of these pliers years ago when I was a new mechanic

/ New Old toy #5  
View attachment 526253I used these mac Mini Long-Reach Diagonal Cutter 5-3/4"

Bought a set of these pliers years ago when I was a new mechanic

Okay thanks!

Not sure that would work for me though. I have this carb and if you look the needles and recessed in the housing. I think the limiters are spring loaded and allows for more adjustment with a special tool that the EPA doesn't let dealers sell to the general public.

Amazon.com: Husqvarna OEM 372XP X-Torq Chainsaw Carburetor 5811:p1 RWJ-4B: Patio, Lawn & Garden

Thanks for the reply and I apologize for taking your thread off topic.

/ New Old toy
I think it's on topic.

Yeah that's different, I'd have to look at that. Have you searched on the Internet about it?

/ New Old toy #8  
I think it's on topic.

Yeah that's different, I'd have to look at that. Have you searched on the Internet about it?

I was reading about it on a thread talking about adjusting the carb on a 390XP. I guess they have the same carb. I might be able to compress the limiters and turn the needles without any special tool but IDK. It's pretty tight in there. I've read that if you do a muffler mod that you need to richen it up a little but IDK if I really need to so much as the gas station by my house sells ethenal free, 110 lead race gas and I'm running that with some RP 2 stroke oil at about a 40:1 ratio so it might be rich enough. Lol.

http://www.forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=71424.0

/ New Old toy
I just started using royal purple

/ New Old toy #10  
40:1 instead of 50:1 will slightly lean the fuel:air ratio. The carb meters not just gas, but gas with oil in it. If you put in more oil there's less gas per unit of air. 50:1 to 40:1 is not a big difference but if it's already lean it's going the wrong way. Not that I'd suggest 100:1 oil ratio to richen up the fuel- it needs enough oil.

Race gas will reduce the chance of detonation, which is one of the bad things that can be cause by running too lean a fuel ratio. But fuel atomization also cools the engine quite a bit in two strokes. Lean fuel will mean less of that, and race gas won't help it. Race gas is really expensive. And it won't fix poor running from being too lean.

There are tools available. I've seen them on Amazon and ebay. Or you can make a tool or an adaptor. For a blower that came set up way too lean I made an aluminium cap that fit over the splined adjuster and has a screwdriver slot on it.