New Owner of an LB2204

/ New Owner of an LB2204 #1  

RandR10

Silver Member
Tractor
Kioti LB2204
Just picked up this machine for a pretty killer deal. Needs some work, but even after I get done fixing it, I'll have less than half what it's worth into it. I was going to wait until later this year or early next but couldn't pass this one up. If anyone is interested or can offer some info, I've got a thread about the engine under Owning/Operating. Can't Wait to get this thing whipped into shape and start moving some dirt!

Attachments

• KIMG3411.JPG
    KIMG3411.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 130
  • KIMG3412.jpg
    KIMG3412.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 160
  • KIMG3413.jpg
    KIMG3413.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 140
  • KIMG3414.JPG
    KIMG3414.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 131
   / New Owner of an LB2204 #2  
Congratulations! I hope it is a easy fix.

/ New Owner of an LB2204
Congratulations! I hope it is a easy fix.
Thanks! Oh it's going to be either a complete rebuild or a repower type situation. Massive blowby and I think one cylinder is so down on compression it's not firing at all. I knew that going in, and I'm not afraid to do the work. I've done a few gas motors already. Finding info and support for the DH1101-B motor is proving quite difficult though. Can't find a kit to do a rebuild specific to the Dae Dong version of this engine. I'm suspicious that it's actually a rebranded Kubota engine or at least a Kubota design since the L245 tractors have the same part number, DH1101, for their engine, and it even has the same 1115cc cast on the side of the block as the Kubota, but I can't find anyone to confirm whether the internals will interchange. I'd hate to spend the money to repower when I could have essentially a brand new motor for $500 in parts off of eBay.

Last edited:
   / New Owner of an LB2204 #4  
I know many parts are interchangeable. I can't speak to the DH1101 though. I would start with a compression test then determine what the next step is.

/ New Owner of an LB2204 #5  
Try tractordata.com for info.

/ New Owner of an LB2204
Tractordata says it's a DH1101-B Dae Dong engine. That's not typical Dae Dong nomenclature though. It follows Kubota naming convention, and even has the 1115cc cast into the block just like the Kubota version. I'm really leaning towards these two motors being basically the same, maybe Kubota sold it to them or they sold them the design because it was from their discontinued line? Who knows, maybe it was off patent and Dae Dong just "appropriated" it? Could have been one of the reasons for the divorce. The older Kubota L245 was what used the DH1101, and Kubota's version of this tractor, the L2202 used the 1.4L D1402 engine, the 2 at the end indicating a later engine series than the -01 from the L245. I think the latest Kubotas are now the -05 series. If you look at the pictures of the Kioti LB2202/4 and Kubota L2202 they're exactly the same machine with different stickers on them lol. They didn't even change the sheet metal stampings or the color. Regardless, at this point given that even some suppliers that I've contacted don't know anything about the Dae Dong version, I'm leaning towards a repower. I know that an -02 series Kubota block and maybe even an -03 will bolt right in from that other thread, so I might just go that route to be safe. I'd hate to drop the dough on an engine kit and have it not work.

K5lwq, there's quite a bit of smoke coming out of the breather. Compression is almost certainly going to read low.

/ New Owner of an LB2204 #7  
Congrats. Should be a fun project.

/ New Owner of an LB2204
Just wanted to update the thread for anyone in the future who needs to source parts for this tractor engine. I still don't know if this engine was manufactured by Dae Dong or Kubota, but for all intents and purposes, it's a Kubota engine. The resleeve/overhaul kit I bought for a Kubota DH1101/D1100/D1101/D1102 worked perfectly. All bushings, bearings, sleeves, pistons worked. The only thing that didn't work in the kit was the valve seals. I was able to make valve seals from an early '90s Taurus 3.0 V6 work though. They have rubber instead of steel bases on them so they stretch over quite a wide size range of guides and they had the right size valve stem diameter too.

/ New Owner of an LB2204 #9  
Good job on bringing it back to life, should be an awesome tractor for you.