New owner s 370d beaver

/ New owner s 370d beaver #11  
Picked this up from a neighbor that parked it outside in an open corn crib over 20 years ago , hasn't been run since.
Had good old red fuel in it and that was a plus. A little rust in the tank that cleaned up nice.
After replacing hoses , new starter , filters , pulled and cleaned injectors and turning it over by hand with some oil in the cylinders it was time for the magic moment .
Got it to start puffing black smoke but it just would not take off . Got the new starter pretty hot and said to myself ( their goes 150 dollars you dummy ) .
It's still working . Glow plugs working , heat gun blowing hot air directly into the intake pipe and it still would not light .
Ok time to check compression . Pulled glow plugs , filled cylinders with mystery oil and ran to Harbor Freight to get a compression tester .
1 1/2 hours later installed gage and guess what . You got it , gage defective . Back to Harbor Freight .
Forgot to mention yes i did blow the mystery oil out first. Ok an hour later and back with the new gage .
Front cylinder 340lbs , rear cylinder 280lbs . This baby should light .
Ok i know starting fluid is a no no , but i figured its either going to run or i may be parting it out.
Unhooked glow plugs , got her cranking puffing black smoke and hit her with a tiny shot and " IT'S ALIVE " .
Have had it running off and on for around 4 hours , changed oil and made sure everything else works .
Did put a fresh oil filter on it before i got it running .
Runs great , trany , 4x4 and pto all work . I am a happy camper .
Oh the clutch disc was stuck. Got it free'd up by hole sawing a hole in the side of the bellhousing so i could pop it loose .
Tried all of the other suggestions . No Go .
Anyway not a bad purchase for 400 dollars with a johnson loader and factory pto reverser to boot.
Revamping the hydraulic hookup to the loader and will post some pictures when i get done.

Ok my fingers are getting tired .
Time to go.
Just a FYI per the Satoh repair manual, compression should be 455psi so you are low and can be hard to start.

/ New owner s 370d beaver
Yes i know that .
That is what it started at before i got it running but it is now at 440 .
Still cant get it running again .
Have shelled out 2 gear reduction starters trying .
Going to try a 1.7kw starter verses the 1.2 it calls for .
It just doesn't seam to be turning over fast enough .

Thanks for all the help but please read previous posts .

New filters , hoses , battery , cables , glow plugs , injectors , oil , 2 starters .
Confirmed glow plugs working .
Confirmed spray pattern with new injectors .
Confirmed battery and all electrical connections good .
Checked hyd system to make sure it wasn't loading the engine down .
Checked and adjusted valve clearance .
And i had it running and driving it which its why it is driving me (( Bat SH** Crazy )) .

And i thought i was the most stubborn thing on the planet .

Will keep you all posted as i might have to cut my losses and sell it for parts .

Tim

/ New owner s 370d beaver #13  
Tim,
I have read every post on here before I replied to your thread. You never mentioned at any point that the compression was anywhere close to the 455 but you stated in post #2 that it was 340-350.

Maybe you should go back and read your posts because you are still missing a basic item to check but instead of telling you, I’m sure you will figure it out for yourself. Best of luck.

Last edited:
Sorry i forgot to mention that the compression did come up after it had been running .
To many things going on .

Anyway my ears are wide open .

/ New owner s 370d beaver #15  
I am a little surprised it won't run. It's been a while since I had a hard time starting mine. I don't remember what the compression was but I think it was lower than that. I disconnected the glow plugs and it started with starting fluid. The glow plugs got hot when I took them out and tested them. But it wouldn't start. I bought new ones and it started right up. If it will start with starting fluid it's likely the glow plugs. The way they are in the engine is not the best design. If it starts with starting fluid on the first attempt it is not the injectors. The type of injectors that it uses are very reliable. Make sure you disconnect the glow plugs before you try starting fluid. I had mine over 20 years and the only things I had trouble with were the glow plugs the ignition switch the alternator and the front CV joint I broke. That thing was very dependable. It was not big enough to clear deep snow. Well it did it but it took me 14 hours to clear my driveway. Lucky the neighbor did the private road with his JD 1025R. When we saw how much better it did my wife said I should get one of those. I wanted something newer anyway with hydrostatic drive and power steering. So we looked at those and some Kubotas. I didn't like the Kubota as well. I went with the JD 2025R because I couldn't get over the Barbie doll Malibu Jeep tires on the 1025R. I sold the old one for more than I paid for it. And I am sure it's still running.

Yes that is why i am stumped.
I did try starting fluid a couple more times and very little at that.
It would try to hit and almost kill the starter.
I am pretty sure that is about when the starter was ready to shell out.
My diesel mechanic friend is old school large diesel and it has him lost for ideas .
New glow plugs and they get almost white hot when looking at them through the injector hole.
I guess i will find out when the bigger starter shows up.

??????????????????????????????????????????????

Thanks for the input.

/ New owner s 370d beaver #17  
Tim,
Did you check to make sure the injection timing was right?
Second, I bought a rebuilt starter for a Dodge Colt that spun the engine 50% faster than the stock starter and it cost about $70 at Oreily.
Do you have the throttle open all the way open while starting?
Are you heating the glow plugs until the indicator on the dash is glowing red?
When you do have it running, did you use a heat gun to check the exhaust temperature at each exhaust port?
Unbalanced temperature, means unbalanced fuel or compression.
Did you crank the engine with the lines going to fuel injectors going into cups and measure the fuel quantity?

/ New owner s 370d beaver #18  
Do you have the throttle full wide open when trying to start it?

GV

I have tried all throttle positions and did not have any luck.
Waiting for a larger kw starter and will defiantly be trying everything again.
Been starter-less for a couple of weeks.
Thanks for the info and will keep all informed to my good or bad luck.
Only thing i haven't done yet is new tennies on the hamsters feet or maybe if i would bring them inside so they could warm up they would run faster .

HA HA

/ New owner s 370d beaver #20  
My Mitsubishi sports the same engine as your Beaver.
Yes, that K3 engine is a cantankerous starter.

A block heater is an absolute cold weather must as is a good battery.
During winter I generally have my block heater on at least 8 hrs B4 starting attempts, and even at that it usually wants to glow plug cycles.
Mine has always wanted full throttle to start so I need my hand very close to throttle down ASAP.