New Pasture Saplings

/ New Pasture Saplings #11  
Thanks for the help. I think the main problem is that when the where mulched up the stumps where taken down to ground level and wherever there was a stump I get stands of sapling trees. I could try pulling them but would have to pull the stumps which is out of the question. I might try spot treating with some brush killer after I have cut them off and see if that decreases them. I'm just looking to make it usable pasture land. The land for many years will never be good for hay production. Just wanting to use it as another place to put cows to give my other pastures a rest.
OK, I thought you were talking a field of baby saplings. You are talking “suckers”.

Grind out the stumps with a stump grinder.

I’m real familiar with controlling Bradford/Callery Pear & Sweet Gum infestations. Here’s 40 acres of it I mowed last fall. Going to mow it again soon as ground freezes.

1675105938960.jpeg

Last edited:
   / New Pasture Saplings #12  
Invasive trees thrive on man's attack. Pulling the tree or mulching the stumps simply aggravate the root system and it flourishes because it no longer has to feed a standing tree. Honey Locust are a good example of this. They go crazy!!!

Treating the stumps after cutting is a solution. For a multitude of small trees scattered over 5 acres will require a LOT of time. And the treatment needs to applied the moment you cut the tree. For small trees, 3-4 inches in diameter, I've drilled a 3/8" hole into the base of the standing trunk and squirt it full of chemical. Let the live tree suck the chemical down into the root system and kill it.

I'm absolutely not a fan of a tree shear. All they do is create a disaster. Especially if clearing 4-8" trees. Cedar stumps will last a decade or more before they finally rot away.

For spraying chemicals on a standing tree, "Remedy" works the best for me. You can gain some effectiveness if you mix in some 2-4-D. And that mixture won't kill your grasses. Some people recommend mixing with Diesel Fuel but that tries to kill everything it contacts. I also discovered from my friend last year that Remedy will kill lespedeza.

For stump treatment I use Tordon RTU. I also have some pelleted Tordon but rarely use it. Excuse my faded Tordon bottle, it rode in the chain box most of last Summer.

View attachment 781457

View attachment 781458
I have lespedzamin my centipede grass. Can you tell us how to mix the remedy to get rid of the lespedza. Do you know if it will Hurt the centipede?

thanks

/ New Pasture Saplings #13  
OK, I thought you were talking a field of baby saplings. You are talking “suckers”.

Grind out the stumps with a stump grinder.
With Honey Locust, the "suckers" will come from roots 20 feet from where the root ball was.

/ New Pasture Saplings #14  
I have lespedzamin my centipede grass. Can you tell us how to mix the remedy to get rid of the lespedza. Do you know if it will Hurt the centipede?

thanks
I cannot answer the question regarding centipede. I am not familiar with that plant. Next time I see my friend I'll ask him.

I use 4 oz p/gallon mix rate when using a hand sprayer for intermittent brush. I used a boom sprayer when doing my 15 acres at 3 oz p/gallon. It don't take as much as you might think. When using the boom sprayer you couldn't see any contact on the leaves. Took about 2 weeks to kill it. Different varieties had different lag times for kill.

My experiences with Remedy have been that it has no effect on plants that are not considered "woody" plants. You might research your centipede in that regard. Or stop by your local chemical dealer and ask. You'll be there to buy the chemicals anyway.

Let us know your results.

/ New Pasture Saplings #15  
Hello all, Me and my wife bought our place about six years ago. There was about five acres that had been clear cut by the previous owner. He let it grow up and by the time we got it, it had grown up a lot. We hired a forestry mulcher to come in and clean it up. In the process of harrowing it and getting it ready to seed. My question is there are so many maple and gum saplings that just keep on coming back. I brushhog them as low as I can and just keep cutting them but they always come back and then some. What is the best way to take care of them?
Going back to your original post.

I've also found that a slow burning fire kills the crap out of saplings. I'm talking trees or woody plants 18" tall or less. Especially Eastern Red Cedar, which is a very hard tree to kill.

/ New Pasture Saplings #16  
Ovrszd has it right, Before i started using tordon the honey locust would sprout like crazy and i have lots of them and red cedar, I have found i can push the red cedar over and they will break off at the bottom. I have been able to pop the root out pretty easily on smaller ones , Not so with the locust or osage they have very long root systems.

/ New Pasture Saplings #17  
w/only 5 acres, mow multiple times during growing season. i don't like the chemical approach, esp give small acreage & you don't make a living off it.

/ New Pasture Saplings #18  
w/only 5 acres, mow multiple times during growing season. i don't like the chemical approach, esp give small acreage & you don't make a living off it.
Agree. We have been trained to use carcinogenic chemicals as first lines of defense instead of other methods first.
I have 5 or 6 small fields basically created out of overgrown trash, now producing hay. Had stumps, suckers, hemp dogbane, small cedars & lots of sweet gum.
Didn’t use chemicals. Used a mower, a disc on a few, a landscape rake and seed. They look like lawns now.

Made hay off this hilltop field 4 months after this picture was taken. It was scrub brush, autumn olive, blackberry stickers, hemp dogbane and other junk. It could just as easily been grazing land like the OP wants.

1675105814371.jpeg

Here’s another I cleared about 10 years ago. Didn’t use any chemicals on this one, either. I cut this in the fall and by the following June it was producing abundant hay.

1675106127589.jpeg

Here’s a field of saplings cut in October of 2015

1675106226169.jpeg

Here’s same field this summer making hay

1675107391147.jpeg

Last edited:
   / New Pasture Saplings #19  
Multiple mowings will not kill saplings. Some species actually thrive on it. Mowing will control tall growth but that's about all.

/ New Pasture Saplings #20  
Not knowing where you are at, this might help or be totally worthless. I live on 68 acres in the Piney Woods of East Texas where the trees are worse then weeds. 200 years ago there where forest fires and the old trees choked out the small trees, but when people settled here, they cleared the land, then abandoned the land, and the land comes back super SUPER thick with trees growing inches apart. Pines, sweet gums and oaks will take over a cleared area in just a year. In two years, they are ten feet tall and impossible to walk through.

I've found that constant mowing eventually works. I like to clear an area with my backhoe by digging out the tree with the rootball attached. Then fill in the hole and compact it. The native Bahia and Coastal Bermuda grass will start to grow almost as soon as it rains in the Spring and Summer. It's very rare that I need to spread grass. Other weeds will mix in with the grass, but if I keep it mowed, the weeds become fewer and fewer. For some weeds, I've sprayed 2,4-D with good results. It's controlled, so you have to buy it by the quart to get it over the counter in my area.

For years, I mowed with a 37hp tractor and 6 foot rotary cutter. It got the job done, but I was never able to mow all of my land in a single year. I focused on the areas I felt where the most important, but I was in a losing battle in other areas. Last year I bought a 70hp tractor and 12 foot batwing. This has allowed me to mow my entire place 3 times last year. The difference is significant. Mowing several times has had a huge impact on what comes back. I'm still nowhere near where I want to be, but for the first time since owning my land, I can see it really getting where I want it!!!

I'm in the process of buying 40 acres in the Mabank area. It's totally different there. More open, much flatter, different soil, and tons of Mesquite. The coastal Bermuda is very impressive, but there are so many Mesquite trees there that it's impossible to hay it. I have to remove thousands of them, but since it's such a big project, and 62 miles away, I'll start in one area and work my way out. My plan is to spray the trunks with Remedy mixed with diesel. That seems to be the most common method at killing the Mesquite down to the root system. Then I will mow the saplings after they have died, and dig out the bigger trees with my backhoe. This will be a multi year, never ending project, but one that I'll start getting hay from as soon as I can, and then work on expanding the size of the hayfield until I'm haying all that I can off of the 40 acres.

Chemicals are expensive and require years of application. First year will give you measurable results, but from what I'm told, it takes five years, spraying in the Spring and again in the Fall, to get to the point that you don't have to keep spraying chemicals anymore.

I now look at hayfields differently. It's amazing how much work it took to create and maintain them!!!!