New pump, lots of smoke

/ New pump, lots of smoke #1  

thefox48

Tractor
john deere, jinma, david bradley
hello
just replaced the injection pump on my Jinma 254. Got it back together and started but with a great deal of smoke after start up. Hard to get any info on setting the timing, has anyone got any ideas. Everything runs pretty good, just the black smoke. It has the y85 engine.
Thanks
Larry

/ New pump, lots of smoke #2  
Black smoke usually indicates your mixture is too rich. Check to see how clean your air cleaner is before digging too deeply into it. A clogged air cleaner or blockage in the path from there to the manifold can make a mixture too rich, too. I like to start with the dumb stuff and go from there.

/ New pump, lots of smoke #3  
Black smoke usually indicates your mixture is too rich. Check to see how clean your air cleaner is before digging too deeply into it. A clogged air cleaner or blockage in the path from there to the manifold can make a mixture too rich, too. I like to start with the dumb stuff and go from there.
No disrespect intended, but there is no rich or lean "mixture". The injection pump meters a specific amount of fuel for a particular governor setting, so you can either be getting too much fuel (rack setting/timing) or not enough air. Just because a fuel injection pump/governor assembly is new, doesn't mean it is calibrated correctly for a specific engine. This is why there are diesel shops and tractor dealers.

/ New pump, lots of smoke
With the replacement of the pump I am sure it is going to require some adjustment. The old pump ran fine, just leaked badly. It starts up ok just smokes black. I looked for adjustments to reset the timing but not much out there. This is a Jimna 154 tractor with the y85 engine.
If anyone has any experience with this type of engine and the same issues, I would sure be glad for some info
Thanks

/ New pump, lots of smoke #5  
Sounds like the injector pump is timed 'late'. I knew a guy who had a very old GM diesel pickup (crappy '80s 1st version) and put two timing marks on his injector pump. One setting was for mileage to drive to work. The other was retarded just a bit for towing. If he drove it 'no load' on his 'tow' setting it smoked a lot and fuel economy was horrible. That gave him the idea to have two positions.

If you make any 'adjustments', mark a starting point first in case you get nowhere by trial and error. Hope you find something more precise.

/ New pump, lots of smoke #6  
With the replacement of the pump I am sure it is going to require some adjustment. The old pump ran fine, just leaked badly. It starts up ok just smokes black. I looked for adjustments to reset the timing but not much out there. This is a Jimna 154 tractor with the y85 engine.
If anyone has any experience with this type of engine and the same issues, I would sure be glad for some info
Thanks
Where was the old pump leaking badly, and what led you to believe you needed a completely new pump assembly? It was likely something very simple and inexpensive. Anyway, you will likely have to learn how to spill time the engine. This is a procedure used on just about all small diesel engines.