New stone driveway - use geotextile fabric?

/ New stone driveway - use geotextile fabric? #11  
It depends on you soil and the slope of your driveway.

I wanted to use the fabric under my driveway (900' of 15% grade) and the people who put it in persuaded me not to. On a steep slope, they claimed I wanted the rock to embed itself in the soil underneath. If I put fabric between the rock & the dirt, the rock would want to slide downhill over time.

And yes, the view is spectacular from the top of the driveway. Can't wait for the house to get finished.

/ New stone driveway - use geotextile fabric? #12  
Have not used any fabric myself. A friend in the "dirt" business won't use it as he has was called to repair break a through where a concrete truck penetrated the fabric / cover material & said it was one he** of a mess. I suspect it would be easy to under engineer a road by over depending on the fabric. MikeD74T

/ New stone driveway - use geotextile fabric? #13  
I need to be a pain..and ask for links to buy geotextile fabric.

My googling results are pretty unimpressive.

I want to use it between my Texas Black Gumbo and some arena sand, and then for driveway cloth, and also to gravel in around the barn and gate area.

The more, the merrier!

And later on, y'all can help us find the right used tractor for us :) Yay

/ New stone driveway - use geotextile fabric? #14  
I need to be a pain..and ask for links to buy geotextile fabric.

My googling results are pretty unimpressive.

I want to use it between my Texas Black Gumbo and some arena sand, and then for driveway cloth, and also to gravel in around the barn and gate area.

The more, the merrier!

And later on, y'all can help us find the right used tractor for us :) Yay

Jenny:

An old thread; but still a useful one.

Mirafi is now owned by this company. TenCate - Geosynthetics - TenCate Geosynthetics

and...
Erosion Control, Turf Reinforcement Mats, Pyramat, Landlok, Storm Water Management - Propex Geosynthetics

/ New stone driveway - use geotextile fabric? #15  
Might also check at your local quarry. The guys that sell gravel will know where to buy or sell the fabric themselves.

MarkV

/ New stone driveway - use geotextile fabric? #16  
As most modern carpeting is made from synthetic materials, some folks collect (dumpster dive) carpets and use that for layering under road beds.
Seems to work and certainly the price is right and that would certainly qualify for eko friendly recycling.

Bet a hotel carpet contractor would even deliver for free all your needs.

Just a thought.

/ New stone driveway - use geotextile fabric? #17  
I like the carpet idea, i had thought of using it myself, but had never heard of anyone doing it. The price certainly would be right. I'll give it a try around some livestock watering tanks i'm putting in and graveling.

/ New stone driveway - use geotextile fabric? #18  
I used it on my driveway when I lived in town. I found that it helped bridge over soft clay spots, but it also cut down on maintenance [weeds would not grow through it] and the stone did not sink into the subsoil. After 7 years I only had to grade the stone I had, not add more stone. The fabric paid for itself and then some.
But weeds can 0r will grow in what ever is on top of the geotextile fabric.

/ New stone driveway - use geotextile fabric? #19  
Have not used any fabric myself. A friend in the "dirt" business won't use it as he has was called to repair break a through where a concrete truck penetrated the fabric / cover material & said it was one he** of a mess. I suspect it would be easy to under engineer a road by over depending on the fabric. MikeD74T

If the concrete truck broke through the road enough to cut the fabric, the road was under engineered for that much weight. There has to be enough material above the fabric to support the intended use. Fabric is not intended to replace subgrade material or to allow one to cut back on engineering requirements. Its primary use is to stabilize the road and separate the underlying soil from the road material and keep them separate. It also enhances subgrade drainage by keeping the fines from percolating up into the subgrade rock. It can add a lot to the life of the road, but only a little to its ability to support weight.

/ New stone driveway - use geotextile fabric? #20  
Fabric is used when the soil isn't prepared properly or there isn't enough time to get the dirt work done. A properly built up road starts with creating drainage on either side of the road and a road base that is higher then the drainage and compacted. If neither of these basic first steps are done, then fabric is used to compensate. Like the others have said, it supports the rock better and allows you to get through those problem areas. The drawback is that you will spend more money on the fabric and you will need more rock then if it was done properly with dirt.

Eddie