New To 2WD Tractors.....????

/ New To 2WD Tractors.....???? #11  
I asssume you are refering to having the tractor in 4 wheeel drive and using the engine for braking?

Not only engine breaking, but with the 4WD engaged any braking action on the rears is transmitted to the fronts via the drive train. The only time this won't be true is if there is a differential between the front and rear axles, which I think is very uncommon in tractors.

Terry

/ New To 2WD Tractors.....???? #12  
Nice looking 820! When I was looking for a dedicated mowing/brush hog tractor, I kept my eyes out for a nice 820 or 830.

Adding some weight to the front will take away a bit of weight off the rears, for sure. If you were to load the rear tires you'd get sort of the best of both worlds...some weight to keep the front tires down, and more traction on the rear tires.

/ New To 2WD Tractors.....???? #13  
Nice looking 820! When I was looking for a dedicated mowing/brush hog tractor, I kept my eyes out for a nice 820 or 830.

Adding some weight to the front will take away a bit of weight off the rears, for sure. If you were to load the rear tires you'd get sort of the best of both worlds...some weight to keep the front tires down, and more traction on the rear tires.

Me too. I
like the style of that series even thou it didn't last long

/ New To 2WD Tractors.....????

Thanks. So what you are saying is just load the rears? or the front and the rears? .....its new years eve, maybe Ill load me up too.....:)

/ New To 2WD Tractors.....???? #15  
Thanks. So what you are saying is just load the rears? or the front and the rears? .....its new years eve, maybe Ill load me up too.....:)

If it were mine, I might look for a way to put removable weights (suitcase weights maybe) on the front, but it probably would be easier to just load both front and rears...although I'd stick to Rimguard or another non-corrosive fluid. The one negative for removable weights us that things like suitcase weights have gotten expensive with the price of all metals going up.

Wait, that won't work at all....can't be done.....but I'd still make you a good deal on it....I can be there in half a day. :D

/ New To 2WD Tractors.....????
If it were mine, I might look for a way to put removable weights (suitcase weights maybe) on the front, but it probably would be easier to just load both front and rears...although I'd stick to Rimguard or another non-corrosive fluid. The one negative for removable weights us that things like suitcase weights have gotten expensive with the price of all metals going up.

Wait, that won't work at all....can't be done.....but I'd still make you a good deal on it....I can be there in half a day. :D
The suitcase weights have become very expensive like you said. I will go with the Rimguard in the rears for now. PS its not cheap either. Thanks Gmanbart.

/ New To 2WD Tractors.....???? #17  
My first tractor here was a 12 hp Gravely. I absolutely could not steer it until I found some steering brakes and installed them. It would not always make it up our 100 ft drop hill behind the house. Put dual wheels on it. Still would spin the wheels sometimes. Now, with my 4wd tractors (and ALWAYS in 4wd because without 4wd, don't have 4 wheel brakes) going up and down the hill is no problem. I've heard of Gravelys just go skidding down the hill on grass.

Ralph

/ New To 2WD Tractors.....???? #18  
Most 2wd tractors have fluid filled tires on the back...
If you run a 5 or 6 foot bush hog the front may get light...
I would opt for weights on the front but they are expensive...
I don't know anyone around here that has loaded front tires on 2wd tractors...
I remember somewhere that weight distribution for maximum traction on 2wd tractors was 70%-30% rear to front and 60%-40% rear to front on 4wd...
Don't know how accurate that is...
That is a very nice tractor that will serve you well...

/ New To 2WD Tractors.....???? #19  
My FIL has an old ford 3000 he uses for brush hogging and hay raking... tires loaded front and rear with 100 lbs/wheel of weights on the front as well.

Nice old JD... front weights of some type will serve you well.

/ New To 2WD Tractors.....???? #20  
That tractor can handle more than 3000 lbs of ballast, I would load the rear tires with rim guard and find some weights for the front end. I am guessing here but I would say it will hold 1000 lbs of rim guard in the rear and I would look at 500 lbs or so of front weight. We made built a receiver style hitch for the front of our ford tractors and poured a concrete (150 lbs per cubic foot) weight block onto a 2" square tube for the front weight. Easy on and off with the chain falls in my shop and effective at very little cost, drawback is a little bulkier than suitcase weights. The other thing we did is took 2 old truck tires that fit snug inside our rear rims and poured them full of concrete then clamped them in with all thread. The center of your rim should have holes designed for bolting on weights. Adds another 600 lbs or so to the rear. Just a couple of options for cheaper ballast, we have used and are using both systems successfully.