New to diesel & 4x4

/ New to diesel & 4x4
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Also.. I keep a 5 gallon bucket in the barn.. at the end of a greasy/gasy/diesely day.. i drop em in there, and hit them with some simple green and water... agitate with a shovel handle.. then just let em soak.. later they are more or less safe for the washer... but not before..

One other tip.. don't wash any tractor parts in the kitchen sink ( or diswasher ).

Soundguy )</font>

Excellent idea and advice. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ New to diesel & 4x4 #12  
<font color="blue"> One other tip.. don't wash any tractor parts in the kitchen sink ( or diswasher ). </font>

But I was able to before I got married. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ New to diesel & 4x4
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( <font color="blue"> One other tip.. don't wash any tractor parts in the kitchen sink ( or diswasher ). </font>

But I was able to before I got married. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif )</font>

LOL. My wife gets /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif when I wash my hands in the kitchen sink. My response, "Yeah honey, but it's got a tall spout for the forearms". /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ New to diesel & 4x4 #14  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( One other tip.. don't wash any tractor parts in the kitchen sink ( or diswasher )</font>

I might add oven also /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

We've had "baking" in our oven, a wall full of hand painted tiles that needed "cured", same hand painted faucet handels for lavatory, hand painted bathroom sink, toilet TANK lid /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif, and the split sides of my dirt bike engine for engine bearing removal...

No wonder I get comments on the unique flavor of my pizzas, turkeys, cakes...

/forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ New to diesel & 4x4 #15  
I save alot of trouble by using a set tub in my walkout basement, great for a parts washer dog washer ect. dosnt matter whats crawling in there my wife will ignore it or shoot it if too big.

/ New to diesel & 4x4 #16  
It is probably wise to put some anti-gel fuel conditioner in the tank and any fuel cans you have around sometime in early fall before the first really cold weather hits...even if the stuff you get in winter is cut with kero, you still have to cover the transition period...

I always seem to have five or ten gallons of summer fuel in the shed when late fall comes around. So in goes a few ounces of conditioner and I sleep easy. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ New to diesel & 4x4
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( It is probably wise to put some anti-gel fuel conditioner in the tank )</font>

Is this available at local dept. stores or only at auto stores?

/ New to diesel & 4x4 #18  
You can find anti-gel at just about anywhere that sells diesel fuel. Some of the super-stores sell it also, including some of the grocery super stores.

/ New to diesel & 4x4 #19  
Two suggestions:

Try to find a source for "off road" (dyed) diesel. It's the same product with a red dye added and the Federal and State Highway Use Tax removed. This could save you as much as 35-40 cents per gallon. If one gets caught using this off road diesel on the highway, there is avery stiff fine.

ALWAYS buy fuel from a reputable dealer. If an off brand dealer is selling fuel for 5 cents or more per gallon less than a branded dealer, you're probably dealing with someone evading the use tax on his/her on road fuel and you may be dealing with someone selling something other than pure diesel.

For example, some military bases may be selling jet fuel drained from aircraft to a bulk dealer. This stuff is sold by the military to be rerefined, but it sometimes ends up in diesel fuel tanks of dishonest dealers. It works, but it's not diesel fuel. Jet fuel does not have the lubricating properties of diesel and tends to run hotter. We sometimes ran this stuff in Navy boats in the late 1960's when we couldn't get diesel. It was hard on the engines and shortened their life.

/ New to diesel & 4x4 #20  
I purchased my first diesel almost 4 years ago I also wondered how I should care and feed this new thing. Some of the rules have been already stated.
1. Never run out of fuel. I always top off the tank when the gauge reads 1/2. I keep a yellon 5 gallon can full. Make sure you get a yellow fuel can so no one makes the mistake of putting gasoline in the tractor.

2. If you live in a cold climate do yourself a favor and add Power Service diesel conditioned to every tank of fuel a few weeks before the weather turns cold.

3. Change your engine oil as required with a good grade of oil recommended for diesel engines. I change mine every 50 hours which works out to about twice a year, I think the manufacturer recommends evey 100 hours but that seems too long $20.00 for a oil and filter change is not going to stop me from doing it every 50 hours.

4. Clean the air filter or check it often they get a lot of dust and dirt and check the radiator for stuff on the outside which will affect cooling.

You will hear how much you spent on your tractor from you other half, they might expect an equal amount of cash to spend on something they would like. I don't know how many times my wife has tried to justify an expence with the words, you have your tractor.

Enjoy your tractor. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Randy