New to Me 790

/ New to Me 790 #1  

grnspot110

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 1944- H, 1961 Cub Lo-Boy, 2016- JD 2025R, 2018- JD X580
I've been looking for a while now. Wanting to replace my 1958, JD 520, 2001 M2554 Bush Hog ZTR, & 69-JD140 w/Johnson loader with a Compact. Last week I found a 2004 790 set up just like I wanted about 140 miles from home on CL.

Brought it home Monday, 383 hours, R-4 tires, 4WD, 300 loader, & 60" Woods finish mower. It has a few "using scratches, but nothing serious!

Saturday I sold the 520 & Bush Hog, 140 sold last week, also a farm disk I had. All this will let me break even on the price!

Took it to the farm & mowed 3-1/2 hours with the finish mower, did pretty good for worn out blades in foot high Brome grass! New blades came with it, but I haven't had time to put them on yet.

I think I'm going to like this thing! :D ~~ grnspot110

Attachments

• Picture 328 (Custom).jpg
    Picture 328 (Custom).jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 253
  • Picture 329 (Custom).jpg
    Picture 329 (Custom).jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 236
  • Picture 323 (Custom).jpg
    Picture 323 (Custom).jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 225
  • Picture 326 (Small).jpg
    Picture 326 (Small).jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 225
   / New to Me 790 #2  
Congrats!That 790 looks real sharp.Thanks for sharing pic"s.:thumbsup::cool:Boone

/ New to Me 790 #3  
No "thinking" about it...you will love it. It is one of the best compacts around and seems to have a cult-like following. I have one that's a TLB and it is the most versatile small tractor I have ever owned.
Congrats on a wise purchase and good luck.

/ New to Me 790 #4  
And another happy 790 owner!
Must be 5 or 6 guys bought one of these fine tractors in the last two weeks! Must be something in the air...

Nice pics, fine machine...it'll do you fine.

Sorry you sold that very pretty old Deere though...nice looking tractor, but not so good at mowing.

Anyway, congrats on your purchase...you made a good decision!

/ New to Me 790 #5  
Great looking tractor, not that I'm partial to them!! :laughing: I've had my 790 for a year and a half now and I think they are awesome machines. Very capable, and well designed although a bit light for the 30hp engine. About the only thing I dislike on it is the cramped operator station, it's hard to get one leg (with a big boot on) through to the other side when I'm climbing into the seat.

I notice your bucket has a dent almost identical to the one in my bucket (when I bought it). A small bottle jack and a few pieces of wood took care of that! :thumbsup:

Do you mind telling what you paid for the setup?

Good luck and enjoy it!

/ New to Me 790 #6  
Nice tractor. I know from reading the posts on TBN the 790 seems to be a real workhorse. Seems all that own them are very pleased with this tractor.

/ New to Me 790 #7  
Congrats on the new rig! You just cut your maintenance time and operating expense in a big way....and now have a tractor that will outperform the old combo....more reliable and safer too....IMO. Nice improvement!

/ New to Me 790
About the only thing I dislike on it is the cramped operator station, it's hard to get one leg (with a big boot on) through to the other side when I'm climbing into the seat.

I notice your bucket has a dent almost identical to the one in my bucket (when I bought it). A small bottle jack and a few pieces of wood took care of that! :thumbsup:

Do you mind telling what you paid for the setup?

Good luck and enjoy it!

I've already straightened the bucket some, just haven't gotten to the one yet. Looks like some brilliant fool wrapped a chain around the cross member & hydraulic lines behind the bucket mashing them, but they still work OK.

Not as cramped as the 850 I looked at though!

$11,500

Not real proud of fluid in the tires, rather have cast iron on the wheels! Hope it's Rimguard, but probably not.

I'll need to make a boom & forks for the loader. I've got 3-pt blades, & an old 5" brush cutter. Going to make a 3-pt off-set disk & probably a 1-14" plow (since I already have the plow parts. All that will take time though! ~~ grnspot110

/ New to Me 790 #9  
First mod to do is to get some bucket hooks welded on! There are several threads on all the different ways to do it so you might want to search on bucket hooks or chain grabs. Then, I would add a nice John Deere green spinner knob for the steering wheel. I like mine!! :licking:

/ New to Me 790 #10  
First mod to do is to get some bucket hooks welded on! There are several threads on all the different ways to do it so you might want to search on bucket hooks...

Bucket hooks are mighty handy. Safest way to do it, or have it done, is by dropping off that QA bucket. Then you don't have to worry about the current from welding doing any damage to any electrical components.

I have three, one in the middle and one on each end. Middle one is good for light duty and the end ones (used simultaneously) for heavier loads.
Which brings me to another point: The front axle of the 790/3005 isn't as strong as the rear axle. For heavier loads, use the draw bar and pull forward.