New to me L5240. Front axle pinion seal leak.

/ New to me L5240. Front axle pinion seal leak. #1  

Adiredneck

Gold Member
Tractor
2006 Kubota L3400DT, Kubota L5240
I picked up a 2007 L5240 last Thursday after years of wanting a 2nd, larger tractor, 800 hrs on the meter. Dual rear remotes, LA854 loader with 72" round back bucket with a set of remotes up front. Also a canopy. Sure is comfortable compared to my L3400.

Anyways, I picked up oil and a filter this weekend and started changing the engine oil. I noticed oil under the front axle pivot point. I figured I might as well check the front axle fluid level. When I opened the cap, it was under a bit of pressure and some air hissed out. What do you think, could this have been forcing oil out of the seal at the pivot? Fluid level looked pretty good. I added about a cup of udt and oil started pouring out of the lower hole in the axle, right where it should have been.

/ New to me L5240. Front axle pinion seal leak. #2  
I've been checking my front axle fluid before each use lately (I just changed it recently and am working on topping it off) and have noticed a small amount of pressure also. I don't know if there is a vent I'm not seeing but I haven't noticed any leaks. Good luck.

/ New to me L5240. Front axle pinion seal leak. #3  
I picked up a 2007 L5240 last Thursday after years of wanting a 2nd, larger tractor, 800 hrs on the meter. Dual rear remotes, LA854 loader with 72" round back bucket with a set of remotes up front. Also a canopy. Sure is comfortable compared to my L3400.

Anyways, I picked up oil and a filter this weekend and started changing the engine oil. I noticed oil under the front axle pivot point. I figured I might as well check the front axle fluid level. When I opened the cap, it was under a bit of pressure and some air hissed out. What do you think, could this have been forcing oil out of the seal at the pivot? Fluid level looked pretty good. I added about a cup of udt and oil started pouring out of the lower hole in the axle, right where it should have been.

You can buy a vent cap from the dealer. It replaces the stock filler cap. It's about 3" tall and plastic.

/ New to me L5240. Front axle pinion seal leak. #4  
Years ago on my L2550 I drilled out my fill plug and tapped it for a 1/4" pipe thread. I screwed a 1/4" barb hose connector into then ran a section of 1/4" fuel line up into the engine area and terminated it in a small fuel filter to act as an air filter. This relieves the pressure or vacuum issues and will not allow ingestion of water or dust.

I should elaborate on the drilling . I used a 1/8" drill first to go completely through the plug then a drill to tap to the 1/8" pipe thread just enough for tap depth.

Last edited:
   / New to me L5240. Front axle pinion seal leak. #5  
Years ago on my L2550 I drilled out my fill plug and tapped it for a 1/4" pipe thread. I screwed a 1/4" barb hose connector into then ran a section of 1/4" fuel line up into the engine area and terminated it in a small fuel filter to act as an air filter. This relieves the pressure or vacuum issues and will not allow ingestion of water or dust.

I should elaborate on the drilling . I used a 1/8" drill first to go completely through the plug then a drill to tap to the 1/8" pipe thread just enough for tap depth.

Front axle seals are an issue on this axle, venting may help

I have done seals on my L39, and the have held so far

/ New to me L5240. Front axle pinion seal leak. #6  
May try that vent idea. Noticed a little seepage back in the Summer but not enough to warrant tearing it apart. It's been changed in the front axle once and we were surprised at how black the oil was.

Here's less messy way of getting it out. Don't pay attention to the cow poop on the inside of the wheels it gets pressure washed a couple times a year. The L3940 is used 365 days a year on a feedlot feeding cattle.
xgi0s6.jpg

/ New to me L5240. Front axle pinion seal leak. #7  
While your at it the axle pivot point adjusting is an item at the 600 hour point.

David

/ New to me L5240. Front axle pinion seal leak.
I stripped the head of the axle pivot vent plug. Not sure if it's ever been out of there. It made a CRACK when it finally turned.

Got it out, hit both grease fittings, and two plugs on order from Messicks. Considering I lost the one on my other tractor somewhere in the driveway, it won't hurt to have a spare.