New to me MF 165. what to look for

/ New to me MF 165. what to look for #1  

Rmart30

Platinum Member
Tractor
Currently Kubota L4600HST, two Massey 265's, Massey 230, Kubota M8540...... Had Long 510, Mahindra 3510.Ford 4000, Deere 4230.
Picked up a diesel 165 for a back up tractor. Just picked it up so havent had time to go over it really to check for any issues. So far ive noticed they have the diff lock pedal locked out where it cant be depressed.
Anything to look for on these particular models that are problems?

/ New to me MF 165. what to look for #2  
Not much bad to say about them, those older ones with dry brakes has not the best brakes in the world, later ones with wet brakes are much more effective.

The power steering might need some TLC, particularly if you have the servo assist in the nose. Parts are dirt cheap and very available, this tractor is still in production around the world, different sheet metal and number but almost identical on much of the rest.

/ New to me MF 165. what to look for #3  
Hello Rmart30, If you have dry brakes, you have to plan your stop.
More details please.
what gear box, 3x2 sp, 4x2 sp, multipower?
Loader fitted?
diff lock pedal has probably seized from lack of use. Liberal application of WD40 or nutcracker or equivilent may unseize it.

/ New to me MF 165. what to look for
It is a 4x2.... not multipower, no loader.

/ New to me MF 165. what to look for #5  
I’ve got a BIGGIE to watch out for..
IF it has a manual shut off..(cable)
MAKE SURE YOU PUSH THE KNOB BACK IN..(run position)
Otherwise the metering valve WILL stick in the shut off position..(over time)
If u have an electric shut off, never mind..& happy tractoring..

/ New to me MF 165. what to look for #6  
If you have put many tractors to work the MF165 is going to amaze you.

/ New to me MF 165. what to look for #7  
I have the 135 of that series. I love the perkins diesel. Have over 6k hours on it and mine is a 4x2 also.

/ New to me MF 165. what to look for #8  
What year is yours?

/ New to me MF 165. what to look for
Jaxs i have a 265 and really like it. The 165 i havent worked any yet but it fees lighter than the 265. The 165 will probably be dedicated to a 8 ft disc harrow.

/ New to me MF 165. what to look for #10  
I have a Massey165 that I wouldn't trade for anything. It always starts and runs real well. The Perkins is a kind of dirty engine so I pressure wash it often. Don't plan on your brakes stopping you on a dime. I use it for everything around the farm and in the winter it is chained up and pulls an old Brewster snow blower. Good all around tractor.