New to me (sort of) Ford 900

/ New to me (sort of) Ford 900 #1  

KenPrice

Tractor
2006 Kubota BX24, 1956 Ford Model 900
Greetings all,

I just brought home a tangible memory of my childhood growing up on a farm in Southeastern Montana.

My Dad graciously gave me our Ford model 900 (Row Crop), wide front tractor. I spent many hours of my childhood and adolescence aboard this machine cultivating sugar beets, raking hay and about any other farming chore that needed to be done. Though we had larger, more powerful diesel tractors (IH 560), this little Ford was the all around pro. Serial number makes it a '56, and as far as I can tell, the wide front was a factory installed option.

My dad o/h the engine within the past 10 years, and estimates that it has less than 100 hours on the engine. Also rebuilt the power steering cylinder, though it seems to be leaking now.

So, having recovered a part of my growing up memories, I'm embarking on the task of returning this machine to as-close-to-factory-condition as possible.

Trailered it from Miles City Montana to Meridian Idaho last month, and have since replaced the fuel shut-off valve under the gas tank, the carb, and points/plugs/condenser set. With the new carb, she purrs like a well fed kitten. Plug wires come next, then a new exhaust pipe. New wiring harness needs to happen, as well as a new battery box and hold down set. My dad did the 12v conversion somewhere in the distant past. New seat needs to arrive someplace in there. Had to replace the weather checked front tires - scavenged pickup tires, cause I was afraid to add air to them, so it has nice new and proper 3 rib tractor tires.

This winter, it'll be into the shop to dismantle and refresh the steering train from the main box to the front gear, and new bushings in the spindles, and inspect/replace the front wheel bearings. Right now, it has serious wandering issues related to loose steering components. Right now, you can watch the front wheels trying to figure out which way to go, and whether or not they want to go in the same direction.

The guts of the tractor seem strong as far as I can tell right now, so don't plan on cracking the engine/trans/diff.

Rear wheels have CACL ballast fluid in them, and there's some corrosion, so that will come out, will have to assess the state of the rear rims then.

Gonna see if the nieghbor up the road who does body work is interested in doing the sheet metal work and painting.

Will post more pics as the work progresses.

Ken

Attachments

• P1010021.jpg
    P1010021.jpg
    686 KB · Views: 2,164
  • P1010022.jpg
    P1010022.jpg
    787.7 KB · Views: 2,853
  • P1010023.jpg
    P1010023.jpg
    543.2 KB · Views: 1,487
  • P1010020.JPG
    P1010020.JPG
    991.5 KB · Views: 636
   / New to me (sort of) Ford 900 #2  
I see she has a 5spd tranny.. she a 960? clutch looks pretty high.. but hard to tell.

either way.. should make a good machine when you are done. i have a 951 and love it.

soundguy

Attachments

• 100_1942.JPG
    100_1942.JPG
    771.2 KB · Views: 3,783
   / New to me (sort of) Ford 900
Soundguy,

I believe it's a 950, at least that's the prefix to the SS#. Yep, 5sp trans, non-live PTO.

The clutch requires some inspection - works fine though a little grabby right now, but it hasn't been operated for quite a while. I also haven't put it under any kind of load yet. It may just need some work to re-burnish the faces, adjusting, or... I'll find out this winter.

I'd appreciate any references for parts sources - especially those who've provided service in a positive manner!

Ken

/ New to me (sort of) Ford 900 #4  
Yep.. 950 is the 5spd with non live pto.

grabby clutches could be oily.. or.. just need to be slipped a bit if it has sat up a while.

The bulk of my parts come from Antique Tractors - Yesterday's Tractors : Antique Tractor Headquarters, though on occasion I use Just 8N's

for good used parts I trust John Smith Smith's Old Ford Tractors

he always has good advice and a great variety of used parts on hand and listed on his website... probbaly every tractor I have has at least one used part from his sit eon it.. he's honest and posts good pics.. fair prices too!

soundguy

/ New to me (sort of) Ford 900
SG,

Thanks so much, once again demonstrating the value of this site! I bought the new carb and fuel shut-off valve from Yesterday's Tractors and was pleased with the service, though it seems their shipping and handling fees are a bit on the high side.

I also discovered the following source in my own backyard so to speak - www.agelesstractorparts.com. Met Clark and bought a new steering wheel from him directly, haven't ordered from his site yet. Still have to compare his prices with the other sources. Can't have too many sources methinks.

Ken

/ New to me (sort of) Ford 900 #6  
their shipping tends to be 'blanket'.. I've ordered a decal set and paid 9$ shipping.. but then egain.. I've ordered lots of stuff that showed up in 4 large boxes.. with some of them being sets of fenders, heavy brackets, cast iron parts and hood parts.. and my shipping was only 29$.. thus.. I tend to group my ordering.. vs numerous small orders.

soundguy