New to some terminology & uses...shuttle shift etc?

/ New to some terminology & uses...shuttle shift etc? #1  

Garycw

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 1025R w/ fel, Farm Pro 2425, ford 841 & 851
I'm new to some of the terminology and uses on some tractors with a over abundance of levers. I get the live pto , draft etc. , but curious what the shuttle shift is and use? The two stage clutch & use. I'm sure there's others although that's two that come to mind first.

/ New to some terminology & uses...shuttle shift etc? #2  
Oversimplified - but Shuttle shift is basically a reversing lever. The gears are the same for forward and reverse, you just use a lever to switch between forward and backward.

Two stage clutch is for gears and PTO. push the clutch part way down to change gears - push it he rest of the way down (second stage) to engage/disengage PTO.

Sean

/ New to some terminology & uses...shuttle shift etc? #3  
Shuttle shift means you can change from forward to backward without changing gears. There's a "shuttle" or lever on the steering column that you move forward or back to change directions. Many require you to use the clutch, some (called power shuttles or hydraulic shuttles) allow you to shift without clutching.

A two-stage clutch is one way manufactures achieve "live power". With this system, you push the clutch partway in and the transmission is disengaged, but the PTO stays engaged. Push it all the way, transmission and PTO both stop.

/ New to some terminology & uses...shuttle shift etc?
Thanks guys. I think I remember that about the clutch. I was trying to determine if I had shuttle shift on a farm pro 2425 I just got. I've never seen so many levers. I just use the shifter to R for reverse on 3 SPd tranny. There's also two more levers on top of tranny that say hi-lo. It also has two or three engage & disengage levers besides the lift, two SPd pto and 4wd levers

/ New to some terminology & uses...shuttle shift etc? #5  
Shuttle shift means you can change from forward to backward without changing gears. There's a "shuttle" or lever on the steering column that you move forward or back to change directions. Many require you to use the clutch, some (called power shuttles or hydraulic shuttles) allow you to shift without clutching.

The shuttle shift on my NH is on the "floorboard."

Thanks guys. I think I remember that about the clutch. I was trying to determine if I had shuttle shift on a farm pro 2425 I just got. I've never seen so many levers. I just use the shifter to R for reverse on 3 SPd tranny. There's also two more levers on top of tranny that say hi-lo. It also has two or three engage & disengage levers besides the lift, two SPd pto and 4wd levers

An "R" on the shifter indicates you do not have shuttle shift IMO. I think the "Hi-Lo" lever allows you to select gear ranges. Changing gear ranges requires depressing the clutch and coming to a full stop in my experience.

Steve

/ New to some terminology & uses...shuttle shift etc? #6  
So if you have a 3 gears plus R for reverse with a Hi-Lo selector, you essentially have 6 forward speeds and 2 reverse speeds. Not a shuttle shift.

The more levers, the higher the theft deterrent... ;) If they can't figure out how to drive it - they can't steal it!

Sean.

/ New to some terminology & uses...shuttle shift etc?
I have two hi-lo shifters on top of tranny. I think it is supposed to have 12 fwd & 4 rev gears