New to tractor tires...need help with replacement/repair of 12.4-24 tubed/filled tire

/ New to tractor tires...need help with replacement/repair of 12.4-24 tubed/filled tire #1  

IHDiesel73L

Silver Member
I recently bought a well used 1979 Kubota L295DT. The rear tires (12.4-24 ag tread) are pretty rough (cracked sidewalls, chunks missing, etc...) and have tubes that are filled with brine according to the previous owner. The left rear has not only developed a leak, but the valve stem got pulled into the tire as I guess the tube and/or the tire itself shifted. What are my options for repair or replacement here? I know that I can't just pull them off myself since the tire weighs hundreds of pounds filled with brine. I'd hate to see what a mobile repair guy with a crane charges :eek: In any event, once I get them off should I just re-tube them and leave the old tires be? Should I replace them with tubeless tires, etc...?

/ New to tractor tires...need help with replacement/repair of 12.4-24 tubed/filled tire #2  
I recently bought a well used 1979 Kubota L295DT. The rear tires (12.4-24 ag tread) are pretty rough (cracked sidewalls, chunks missing, etc...) and have tubes that are filled with brine according to the previous owner. The left rear has not only developed a leak, but the valve stem got pulled into the tire as I guess the tube and/or the tire itself shifted. What are my options for repair or replacement here? I know that I can't just pull them off myself since the tire weighs hundreds of pounds filled with brine. I'd hate to see what a mobile repair guy with a crane charges :eek: In any event, once I get them off should I just re-tube them and leave the old tires be? Should I replace them with tubeless tires, etc...?
My dad is 74 and pulls them off 16.9 - 30 and bigger by himself. 18.4 - 34 I think is the big tractor. Hes just an average size fellow. Loads in the pickup himself and brings to the shop and we fix it. It's all in how you go about it.

/ New to tractor tires...need help with replacement/repair of 12.4-24 tubed/filled tire #3  
The rear tires (12.4-24 ag tread) are pretty rough (cracked sidewalls, chunks missing, etc...)

Seems probable your tractor has 40+ year old factory original tires. Those dried out, inflexible tires will continue to deteriorate and cause problems.

Several purchase options on eBay: tractor tire 12.4 - 24 | eBay

Check the tire rims critically. Calcium chloride filled tires usually corrode the steel rims over time, weakening them.

This would be a good time to consider increasing the rear wheel/tire spread if you need increased stability. Rear wheel/tire spread is adjustable from 44" to 59", a big difference.

You may be content with air replacing brine in the replacement tires. New tires with sharp tread and improved flexibility will give you improved traction.

There are multiple non-corrosive liquids used to fill tractor rear tires these days:

Kubota L295​

Kubota L295 Weight
4WD Shipping:2601 lbs
1179 kg
4WD Operating:2895 lbs
Kubota L295 Power
Engine:30 hp
22.4 kW
PTO (claimed):26 hp
19.4 kW
Drawbar (tested):21.09 hp
15.7 kW
PTO (tested):26.46 hp
19.7 kW
Kubota L295 tractor photo
1978 - 1982
Compact Utility tractor

Production
Manufacturer:Kubota
Type:Compact Utility tractor

Variants
L295F:2WD
L295DT:4WD

Last edited:
   / New to tractor tires...need help with replacement/repair of 12.4-24 tubed/filled tire #4  
If the rims aren't rotted out, I'd get new tires and would definitely have them filled, either with windshield washer fluid or beet juice if you want to pay extra and it gets cold where you are. Filled tires do a lot more than just increase traction a little. They give greater stability and part of the ballast you might need if you have a FEL. If your dealer isn't too far away, they might pick up the wheels, and bring them back and replace them for not too terrible a hit. If the tractor is 4wd, it's likely the front tires have been replaced, but that might have been 15-30 years ago, so they might need replacement as well. Front tires on 4wd tractors tend to wear much faster than rears. Take a good look at them. It's good practice to be sure the rears are set as far apart as they can be, as already mentioned.

/ New to tractor tires...need help with replacement/repair of 12.4-24 tubed/filled tire #5  
My 2009 Kubota M6040 has 16.9x28 rear tires. They are filled with Rim Guard. Each tire will weigh in excess of 1000#. There is no way, on God's green earth, that I would attempt to wrestle one of these tires.

Yours are smaller. But being filled - they are still plenty heavy.

/ New to tractor tires...need help with replacement/repair of 12.4-24 tubed/filled tire #6  
My 2009 Kubota M6040 has 16.9x28 rear tires. They are filled with Rim Guard. Each tire will weigh in excess of 1000#. There is no way, on God's green earth, that I would attempt to wrestle one of these tires.

Yours are smaller. But being filled - they are still plenty heavy.
I have to replace a valve stem in a loaded rear tire on my M and there is no way I could do this myself.
I will have to bite the bullet and let the mobile guy come and do it.

/ New to tractor tires...need help with replacement/repair of 12.4-24 tubed/filled tire #7  
That is the WISE and SAFE decision - fruitcakesa. The mobile guy has the equipment and experince. My first tractor - Ford 1700 - had ag rims and much smaller R-1 tires. They were filled with NaCl. I pulled the tires and reset the rims to the widest setting. While fiddling with the second tire - it got away from me. I was lucky - it didn't flop down on me. However - it DID flop down.

BUT - what a total PITA to get it upright and back in place. I darn near blew a kidney getting it back upright. Then the FUN of rolling about five feet - keeping it upright - getting it back under the fender.

Would have been nice to have the help from one of the factory gorillas. You know - those beasts who tighten down our oil filters.