New Toys

/ New Toys #1  

RET

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2200, JD LX277, Cub Lo-Boy
Just took delivery on a 4' Bush Hog box blade (model SBX480) and a 52" "First Choice" Rotary Tiller (Model RT3452).
I believe the box blade to be of good quality - it has 3/8" thk. side walls and is listed at 430 lbs. I took a chance on a lesser known brand of tiller. It appears to be of good, heavy construction and, as is the case with most others, is Italian.
I researched countless TBN posts re: tillers and box blades and found numerous comments about weld failures on lesser box blades, but NOT ONE comment on problems with tillers - irregardless of brand.
Here's the logic I used in my implement choices:
1) Pay a little extra and get a good, beefy box blade from a reputable manufacturer. Don't skimp. The small $$ difference ain't worth it.
2) Go ahead with the lesser known tiller brand and pocket several hundred dollars savings. It appears that most all tillers coming out of Italy are good. This model cost me $1070.

Since both just got here late this evening, I only got in a few minutes to introduce the box blade to the 'Bota BX. They both seem happy. I'll have to cut down the tiller PTO shaft tomorrow before letting the tiller become acquainted to the BX.

Anybody out there with "First Choice" equipment? Comments on performance?
-R

/ New Toys #2  
You made a great choice with you box blade. I have a MBX 840 that I bought from a local dealer, my Case-IH dealer tried to sell me a BX model even though it wasn't rated for my machine, he had a BX model in his lot he wanted to pawn off on me. I wanted the heavier box so that I don't have to worry about breaking it and so far have not hurt it. Put it thru some rough stuff and it still is in great shape.

/ New Toys #3  
Looks like there some fun in store for you this year RET /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif box blade and tiller and that mean a nice garden smoothing the land which means more to mowe...ahh yes seat time. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ New Toys
Tried out the tiller today. Tilled up the garden and used it to help get rid of a mound of gravel/dirt left over from home construction days.
I don't have a clue about long term quality of this "First Choice" unit, but it sure does an impressive job of pulverizing the soil and leaving a smooth bed behind the unit. I think I'll till my neighbor's garden tomorrow.... gotta get that seat time... spring fever has hit!
-R