New Trac-Vac 560 Suction Problems on BX-1850

/ New Trac-Vac 560 Suction Problems on BX-1850 #1  

enagy

I had a Trac-Vac 560 with a chipper that operated flawlessly for almost 30 years. Last year the engine failed and Trac-Vac was not able to supply a replacement due to Briggs not making a replacement with the necessary HP and shaft size for the chipper feature, and Trac-Vac had no alternative with their new Chinese engines. Since I had had such a positive experience with the machine I decided to bite the bullet and purchase a new one (less the chipper but with electric start). What a disappointment this has been. For some reason the vacuum cannot handle the leaves like my previous model. Supposedly the same size engine (different make though) but it cannot handle the mulched leaves coming out of the deck of my BX-1850. Even if I creep along as slowly as I can the leaves just tend to blow out from under the deck instead of being vacuumed into the trailer. The suction from the hose is not as strong as the older model. The old one could suck the glove off my hand when I tried to clear a clog but not the new one.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to improve the performance? Are there any quality alternatives? I only have about an acre but the leaves are heavy in the fall and the yard is fenced in to I cannot blow them to the curb easily.

Thanks

Ernie

/ New Trac-Vac 560 Suction Problems on BX-1850 #2  

enagy

Welcome to TBN 📣

I'm sure someone will be coming along and have a answer for your question.

Richard

/ New Trac-Vac 560 Suction Problems on BX-1850 #3  
What model is the new Trac-Vac and is it designed to work with you tractor ?

Richard

/ New Trac-Vac 560 Suction Problems on BX-1850 #4  
I have a Trac Vac 880 and it looks like yours had a FX200 Champ engine, 5.3hp with 3/4" shaft. Ebay sellers have them for about $500 but I've had good luck with Harbor Freight Predator motors. There's really not much to it, motor, impeller and hoses. I'd be sure by looking up your model impeller is turning right direction (ccw I think...but double check). As long as mower chute fits your mower properly and hoses are OK it should work fine. I'd be sure replacement motor turns impeller properly and try sucking leaves with hose disconnected from mower deck...it should be like a powerful shop vac.
Poor performance would have to be too small replacement motor, impeller turning backwards, hose leak. I assume motor is running fast enough (around 2,500 rpm)?

/ New Trac-Vac 560 Suction Problems on BX-1850 #5  
Is motor operating at proper RPM? Per online owners manual should be 3,800 RPM no load. Other things to check would be obstructions in intake hose and discharge for the vacuum.

If you still have old original vac are the impeller fans similar size both diameter and width? Fins look similar design? Hose same diameter?

Last edited:
   / New Trac-Vac 560 Suction Problems on BX-1850 #6  
I have a Woods vac that runs along the same principle on a 72" front mounted deck. Mine originally came with a 6" hose which easily choked with any kind of grass + leaf volume. When the motor blew, I bought a Honda 6.5 hp motor which has a fixed throttle: max only. I made a new shroud for a 10" hose with corresponding 10" deck chute. Clear hose is $10/ft. Starts on the first pull even after sitting outside all winter. This thing will suck up a brick (and has) if given an opportunity.

If your compartment is too airtight, the blower fights too much back pressure. If the rpm is too low, insufficient pressure. Kinks in the hose reduce pressure. Mine will choke when a few sticks of just the right size get crossed up anywhere in the chute or fan throat. Once when unplugging it, it sucked a leather glove off my hand !

Best experience was cleaning up the side of the road where it must have picked up a lit cigarette. Neighbor came running out to show me that the unit was combusting all of the leaves, stick, pop cans & bottles, grass, and paper anything. Smoking like a russian tank after a Javelin strike. Burned the paint off. I still contemplate using this notion as a feature in the future !

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 55
   / New Trac-Vac 560 Suction Problems on BX-1850
What model is the new Trac-Vac and is it designed to work with you tractor ?

Richard
Hello Richard,
It's a 580-EL, and the chute is designed for the BX-1850. Same set up as my previous Trac-Vac.
Ernie

I have a Trac Vac 880 and it looks like yours had a FX200 Champ engine, 5.3hp with 3/4" shaft. Ebay sellers have them for about $500 but I've had good luck with Harbor Freight Predator motors. There's really not much to it, motor, impeller and hoses. I'd be sure by looking up your model impeller is turning right direction (ccw I think...but double check). As long as mower chute fits your mower properly and hoses are OK it should work fine. I'd be sure replacement motor turns impeller properly and try sucking leaves with hose disconnected from mower deck...it should be like a powerful shop vac.
Poor performance would have to be too small replacement motor, impeller turning backwards, hose leak. I assume motor is running fast enough (around 2,500 rpm)?
Thanks for the suggestion. I have not checked the RPM, and I need to check the rotation of the impeller but it is rotating in the direction it came from the factory. The suction on my old Trac-Vac was so strong that when the hose was disconnected from the deck it would almost adhere to the lawn if I tried to vacuum up leaves - not so with my new one.

I have a Woods vac that runs along the same principle on a 72" front mounted deck. Mine originally came with a 6" hose which easily choked with any kind of grass + leaf volume. When the motor blew, I bought a Honda 6.5 hp motor which has a fixed throttle: max only. I made a new shroud for a 10" hose with corresponding 10" deck chute. Clear hose is $10/ft. Starts on the first pull even after sitting outside all winter. This thing will suck up a brick (and has) if given an opportunity.

If your compartment is too airtight, the blower fights too much back pressure. If the rpm is too low, insufficient pressure. Kinks in the hose reduce pressure. Mine will choke when a few sticks of just the right size get crossed up anywhere in the chute or fan throat. Once when unplugging it, it sucked a leather glove off my hand !

Best experience was cleaning up the side of the road where it must have picked up a lit cigarette. Neighbor came running out to show me that the unit was combusting all of the leaves, stick, pop cans & bottles, grass, and paper anything. Smoking like a russian tank after a Javelin strike. Burned the paint off. I still contemplate using this notion as a feature in the future !
Assuming the engine is comparable to my old one, the only other design change was in the cart. The exhaust ventilation is different and there is a deflector where the hose enters the cart. I have tried to enlarge the holes for the exhaust but that did not seem to help. I might try removing the deflector to see if that helps. Thanks for the suggestions.

/ New Trac-Vac 560 Suction Problems on BX-1850 #10  
There's nothing to it...simply a spinning impeller. I'd remove hose and staple a flat piece of cardboard to a l-o-n-g stick. Run it, bring cardboard over impeller port. It should suck it like a shop vac on steroids. If not, troubleshoot housing & impeller. If it does troubleshoot hose.