New Tractor prices, how fast have things escalated?

/ New Tractor prices, how fast have things escalated? #1  

Crazed98Camaro

Tractor
Kubota B7200D / Kioti LK3054
Hi all,

I'm in the market for a ~70hp utility tractor. I have 75 acres, 40 tillable and will be starting a equine boarding facility, so mostly cutting, raking, baling hay and spreading manure. The terrain is hilly, but not steep.

I am looking at the Massey 2607H, CNH Workmaster 70 / 70A and Kubota M6060 / 7060. The Kubota's seem pretty scarce by me, I have only been able to find the Massey and CNH's on lots anywhere within 2 hours.

I generally buy used, but finding what can fit my needs and budget seems to prove difficult. I am looking to finance as I will be buying used implements.

I received a quote on the 2607H and its around $48k. I am reading through reviews here and posts from 1.5 years ago mention it being ~$42k. A Workmaster 70 on the lot here is advertised at $38k, but the financing I got was near 11% APR, and with Massey offering 0% for 60 months, I am compelled to look their way.

I haven't been in the market for a while, and I know everything has risen sharply recently. I guess I just want to ensure I'm getting the best deal that I can and am not overlooking something.

Appreciate any insight!

/ New Tractor prices, how fast have things escalated? #2  
Kubota pricing is hard to get your head to comprehend. Yanmar I like, Branson, MF, CNH/LS, Mahindra, Kioti maybe also.

/ New Tractor prices, how fast have things escalated? #3  
Hi all,

I'm in the market for a ~70hp utility tractor. I have 75 acres, 40 tillable and will be starting a equine boarding facility, so mostly cutting, raking, baling hay and spreading manure. The terrain is hilly, but not steep.

I am looking at the Massey 2607H, CNH Workmaster 70 / 70A and Kubota M6060 / 7060. The Kubota's seem pretty scarce by me, I have only been able to find the Massey and CNH's on lots anywhere within 2 hours.

I generally buy used, but finding what can fit my needs and budget seems to prove difficult. I am looking to finance as I will be buying used implements.

I received a quote on the 2607H and its around $48k. I am reading through reviews here and posts from 1.5 years ago mention it being ~$42k. A Workmaster 70 on the lot here is advertised at $38k, but the financing I got was near 11% APR, and with Massey offering 0% for 60 months, I am compelled to look their way.

I haven't been in the market for a while, and I know everything has risen sharply recently. I guess I just want to ensure I'm getting the best deal that I can and am not overlooking something.

Appreciate any insight!
The best thing you can do is wait right now. This industry is headed for a major downturn.

/ New Tractor prices, how fast have things escalated? #4  
The best thing you can do is wait right now. This industry is headed for a major downturn.

However, "the market can remain irrational longer than you can remain solvent"...basically, even if you may be right, the timing may not work in your favor.

Not specific to tractors, but personally I stopped putting my life on hold waiting for things to rationalize, as I can't control the behavior of other people. I've paid more than I "should" for a bunch of things, but I realize the trade-off I'm making.

Sorry, OP, no direct advice for you, but sounds like you're doing the right things - being as prudent as you can in a time of irrationality. Prices are definitely up, but several posts here seem to indicate dealers may have more inventory these days, so maybe there's some softness in pricing coming.

/ New Tractor prices, how fast have things escalated? #5  
In speaking with my Kubota dealer this spring, he said the price of my MX5400 had gone up 3 times since I bought it two years before. And judging by the fact that he's had no inventory to speak of and can never tell me when things will arrive (always "months", and "maybe as late as next year"), well, safe to say supply is low and demand is high, as are prices. I've bought two attachments in that time that he couldn't supply me even though in years past he would have been able to provide it.

Good luck. Maybe it's better now, I've been out of touch.

/ New Tractor prices, how fast have things escalated? #6  
I have no comment on brands except to say that I am very pleased with my LS. My question for you is, do you think the tractors you mentioned will be heavy enough and powerful enough for what you want to do? Each one of them is in the 5500 pound range, give or take. Load up the tires and you’re probably getting close to 7000 pounds. Even still, pulling a square baler on hilly ground might be a bit of a struggle. The baler is going to toss your tractor around a bit as well. My tractor weighs in at around 10,000 pounds and my NH 575 sure lets me know it’s back there when the hay gets thick. I started out with a 73 horse tractor and very quickly realized it wasn’t enough. You might think of a smaller tractor with a loader for your day today utility work and a larger machine for the heavy stuff. You could go new on the little one and used on the big one and probably come out the same as what you’re looking at. I have a Ford 2610 with a loader that I use for most of the day today work, leaving the big tractor for hay work and blowing snow. Just a thought

/ New Tractor prices, how fast have things escalated? #7  
If you have a need now, then you should buy now.

I have been contemplating for two years now and prices keep going up or stock doesn’t exist in our area. Had we bought when we first said “we might need a tractor” we would have the thing nearly paid off and have a heck of a lot more projects done. But we waited… actually still wait. My wife said it best… “Not having a tractor is costing us time. We can’t get time back. But we can finance a tractor and invest in time.”

/ New Tractor prices, how fast have things escalated? #8  
If you have a need now, then you should buy now.

I have been contemplating for two years now and prices keep going up or stock doesn’t exist in our area. Had we bought when we first said “we might need a tractor” we would have the thing nearly paid off and have a heck of a lot more projects done. But we waited… actually still wait. My wife said it best… “Not having a tractor is costing us time. We can’t get time back. But we can finance a tractor and invest in time.”
When the time is right you will make the investment ;)

/ New Tractor prices, how fast have things escalated? #9  
Tractor prices rising isn’t a new phenomenon. I researched new prices of specific models and found, regardless of economic conditions, prices have been rising for decades. It isn’t new and will not change…and I’ll continue to monitor prices out of shear curiosity.

Mike