New Tractor Sales Are Declining

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / New Tractor Sales Are Declining #191  
Tractor size and power is usually based on need and not everyone needs a huge tractor (and a huge payment) as well. Large tractors usually equate to large upkeep expenses as well. Myself, I'm perfectly content with my M9's but I would not mind having a sub compact as well for garden work. May buy a used one this spring if I can find an older one without too many issues.
My Sons both have Kubota 25-30hp compacts. Both bought them used. FELs and MMMs. Both paid $15K. One with 400hrs, one with 100hrs. I think one is a B3200 and the other is a B2301. Small enough to do lawn mowing chores. Large enough to do FEL chores.

/ New Tractor Sales Are Declining #192  
Only 88” wide!

I’m serious. I look at what you guys pay for a small new tractor and think you could buy a used dump truck, with a trailer and a back hoe or mini ex or farm tractor for the same price as a new small grand L with a loader.
Mowing the yard would be a "challenge" with the Challenger. :)

/ New Tractor Sales Are Declining #193  
I remember the last big tractor we bought on the farm was a International 5488. It was the highest hp you could get with out going to 4WD. Just over 200hp. We paid $50,000. That was insane prices then. Lol

The problem is everything associated with manufacturing the tractor has gone through the roof. The cost to get it to market has as well. Then the dealers have their higher cost to operate. At some point the cost of doing business will drive many companies to fail regardless of the industry.

/ New Tractor Sales Are Declining #195  
Buy used - let somebody else take the initial hit financially.
Bought my Kubota at 4 yrs old with 150 hours on it, garage kept.
Got my Mustang at 1.5 yrs old with 1800 miles on it.
Got my Porsche at 10 yrs and 11k miles
Got my wife at 37 with relatively low miles too. :p

Last edited:
   / New Tractor Sales Are Declining #196  
At some point the cost of doing business will drive many companies to fail regardless of the industry.
I predict that will occur in the agricultural sector next spring when the cost of doing business in inflationary times comes home to roost.

I seer that some tractor builders are already tacking on a 'steel surcharge' in addition to price increases just to remain viable.

Like I said previously, when inflation causes the ratio of spendable liquid income to drop below a certain 'comfort' level, tractor sales (especially new) will also drop. Pretty simple economics really.

/ New Tractor Sales Are Declining #197  
My yard lays wet a good amount of time so I have to be careful how heavy a tractor I put on it. Also, I have nothing that I could fit a bigger tractor in and don't have plans to build anything.

I keep up on tractors on FB marketplace and I was searching there for a while to find a light used tractor. The best deals didn't last, which means someone still has discretionary money and I look there now and the prices are still pretty high to me.

I'm really considering putting the little Case IH Dx24e up for sale, haven't decided yet. May wait until spring, hope I don't regret waiting.

/ New Tractor Sales Are Declining #198  
Mowing the yard would be a "challenge" with the Challenger. :)
Yeah well I never suggested it as a lawn mower. I suggested it as a snow pusher. :)

/ New Tractor Sales Are Declining #199  
If one has the funds and can wait, I think there will be some good deals on used equipment in the near future. At some point people will have to liquidate a lot of things just live. Sad but the way I see it coming.

/ New Tractor Sales Are Declining #200  
Well, I like my little B2620 I bought years back. Was cheap enough to pay cash, small enough to mow the finished lawns with, has built a mile of bush road and maintains my 21 acres.

But if I ever do need something heavier, I have the 55 Allis sitting here on display that can go to work any time.

And for 86 grand I can go to Mecum Auction and buy all kinds of big reliable old restored tractors before I ever spent that for a new emission motored machine.

Sure the new ones have all kinds of comfy fluff in the cab, but fluff doesn't do the work.

Status
Not open for further replies.