New tractor

/ New tractor #1  

bake321

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota 9540, Kubota RTV900
Finally made a deal on a new tractor for my new farm. I thought buying a tractor would be a "fun" experience, boy was I wrong. It seems that tractor dealers in general rate right up there with lawyers, car salesman, realtors, etc. Most of them acted like you were bothering them when you would ask how much? I had one salesman (owner痴 son) that never did give me a price after an in person visit and three emails. What brand to buy also was interesting. Green makes nice tractors, but price is an issue. Blue just didn't fit me, ergonomics and I couldn't believe the way the hydraulic lines hung down under the tractor. Then there is the new redblue. This was a tough one; I mean what kid didn't like a red tractor. Massey hung in there to the end, but then I realized that I'm kind of an orange guy. Stilh chainsaw, Allis-Chalmers tractor and a Harley (Orange/Black Logo). What made the deal was a dealer that I walked into that knew how much his tractors sold for and no BS. He also had the best pricing by far. I bought a Kubota 9540 MFWD, loader, cast wheels, radial R1s, two remotes, hydraulic shuttle and open station. Another thing about Kubota is they make their tractor. The others were too confusing as to what comes from where. I really want to recommend Barlow Kubota/MF of Somerset KY. The prices are right. Before we get on the support your local dealer rant, I gave them the last shot. I don't have an extra 9K to be their buddy, also they have been rude from the get go. ;)
Bake

/ New tractor #2  
bake321 said:
Finally made a deal on a new tractor for my new farm. I thought buying a tractor would be a "fun" experience, boy was I wrong. It seems that tractor dealers in general rate right up there with lawyers, car salesman, realtors, etc. Most of them acted like you were bothering them when you would ask how much? I had one salesman (owner痴 son) that never did give me a price after an in person visit and three emails. What brand to buy also was interesting. Green makes nice tractors, but price is an issue. Blue just didn't fit me, ergonomics and I couldn't believe the way the hydraulic lines hung down under the tractor. Then there is the new redblue. This was a tough one; I mean what kid didn't like a red tractor. Massey hung in there to the end, but then I realized that I'm kind of an orange guy. Stilh chainsaw, Allis-Chalmers tractor and a Harley (Orange/Black Logo). What made the deal was a dealer that I walked into that knew how much his tractors sold for and no BS. He also had the best pricing by far. I bought a Kubota 9540 MFWD, loader, cast wheels, radial R1s, two remotes, hydraulic shuttle and open station. Another thing about Kubota is they make their tractor. The others were too confusing as to what comes from where. I really want to recommend Barlow Kubota/MF of Somerset KY. The prices are right. Before we get on the support your local dealer rant, I gave them the last shot. I don't have an extra 9K to be their buddy, also they have been rude from the get go. ;)
Bake

Sorry to hear about your tractor buying hassle. Glad you were able to work through the pain and get a satisfactory deal.

I had the opposite experience. Bought a new Mahindra 5525 (55 hp engine, 45 hp pto) from Dave of DavesTractor in Red Bluff last week. Traded my 2005 Kubota b7510HST/LA 302 FEL as part of the deal.

DSCF0057Small.jpg

A real tractor-buying pleasure.
Dave delivered the 5525 last Thursday.
Mowed about 1/2 acre yesterday. Really smooth.

/ New tractor #3  
Doesn't sound like the local boys did much to make the decision all that difficult-act like jerks and charge more.

/ New tractor
The dealer I ended up with is only 100 miles away and they threw in free delivery.

Bake

/ New tractor #5  
How old are you? It seemed that I could never get tractor/equipment dealers to take me seriously until I started showing some gray in my hair.:( I actually had a JD dealer refuse to give me a price on a newer tractor when I was in my mid-20's. He kept quoting it as $XXX.OO a month. I already had financing set up and just needed to pick a machine and agree on a price. He informed me"You can't pay for it that way, so I'm not quoting it that way." The bozo had never met me before and didn't know if I could buy it or not.:mad: I'm in my mid 40's now and the dealers I have been using lately have never asked for anything but a copy of my farm tax exemption card and the check.
I actually seem to bring out the worst in JD dealers. The one mentioned above is still in business(I don't deal with him) and there are 2 others in easy driving distance. I have had run ins with them also.(so I don't deal with them either!)
They are dealers, just like car dealers. Some are good, some bad and some just plain terrible. When you find a good dealership, they are worth the hassle if you have to drive farther to use them.
Congrats on the new tractor.

/ New tractor #6  
bake321 said:
Finally made a deal on a new tractor for my new farm. I thought buying a tractor would be a "fun" experience, boy was I wrong. It seems that tractor dealers in general rate right up there with lawyers, car salesman, realtors, etc. Most of them acted like you were bothering them when you would ask how much? I had one salesman (ownerç—´ son) that never did give me a price after an in person visit and three emails. What brand to buy also was interesting. Green makes nice tractors, but price is an issue. Blue just didn't fit me, ergonomics and I couldn't believe the way the hydraulic lines hung down under the tractor. Then there is the new redblue. This was a tough one; I mean what kid didn't like a red tractor. Massey hung in there to the end, but then I realized that I'm kind of an orange guy. Stilh chainsaw, Allis-Chalmers tractor and a Harley (Orange/Black Logo). What made the deal was a dealer that I walked into that knew how much his tractors sold for and no BS. He also had the best pricing by far. I bought a Kubota 9540 MFWD, loader, cast wheels, radial R1s, two remotes, hydraulic shuttle and open station. Another thing about Kubota is they make their tractor. The others were too confusing as to what comes from where.
I really want to recommend Barlow Kubota/MF of Somerset KY. The prices are right. Before we get on the support your local dealer rant, I gave them the last shot. I don't have an extra 9K to be their buddy, also they have been rude from the get go. ;)
Bake
Let Me Second That!
I bought 2 tractors from them back in November.
A new one and a used one.
I also got a new 60" front blade and a 48'' rear tiller there at the same time.
I am very pleased with dealing with them.
== L B ==

/ New tractor
chh

"How old are you?" That realy brought a chuckle out of me. I turned 59 last week. Maybe I'm aging well! I did have my 13 year old son with me. One dealer realy got to me, first he had to have my name, phone number and address. When I asked why he needed all that to tell me the price of a tractor that was sitting on his lot,he said he needed to know this in order to figure out the delivery charge. I told him that he needed to sell it first and If he wouldn,t deliver it 30 miles for free he could stick it. Barlow's is doing a 200 mile round trip delivery for free. Speaking of which I'm like a kid on Christmas Eve, it will be here tomorrow.

Bake

/ New tractor #8  
Congrats - the dealer makes all the difference in the world.

What do you plan on doing with your new tractor?

D.

/ New tractor #9  
You need to post pictures in the Kubota Forum.

Even thou it ain't Green I still love ya! (Nothing funny here, he's my big brother:D )

/ New tractor #10  
bake321 said:
chh

"How old are you?" That realy brought a chuckle out of me. I turned 59 last week. Maybe I'm aging well! I did have my 13 year old son with me. One dealer realy got to me, first he had to have my name, phone number and address. When I asked why he needed all that to tell me the price of a tractor that was sitting on his lot,he said he needed to know this in order to figure out the delivery charge. I told him that he needed to sell it first and If he wouldn,t deliver it 30 miles for free he could stick it. Barlow's is doing a 200 mile round trip delivery for free. Speaking of which I'm like a kid on Christmas Eve, it will be here tomorrow.

Bake

Glad I could get you to laugh about it.:) Maybe you are just aging a lot better than I am. I have never understood some dealers reluctrance to price a machine. After all they are there to sell it, right?:confused: I have seen it personally and have heard people talk about difficulty getting a price(in person and on this forum).
Oh well, I hope you get to enjoy the new tractor!:D