New trailer for the gator

/ New trailer for the gator
After using the trailer a few times I decided to add some assistance to the tailgate. With my history of back issues I really don't want to tweek it inadvertantly. So I added garage door springs to help with some of the load. In addition to the springs themselves, I also installed safety cables that run through all the hardware & springs. If something breaks or lets go then at least it will be restrained.
PXL_20220415_143238993B.jpg

PXL_20220415_143353390B.jpg

Total cost was about $35. I used 100lb. springs but probably could have gone with 150. As it is, the assist is enough that I don't have to use the handle at the end of the gate but can just grab the lock plate with one hand & pull it up without strain.

/ New trailer for the gator #12  
Nice work, but how are those cable going to arrest the gate from falling in case something breaks?
As lazy and safety conscious as I am, I would have used linear actuators. Although you would still have to push a button......

The cables aren't for the gate, they are to keep bits & pieces of spring / fittings from flying around if something breaks while the springs are under tension. You don't want to get slapped by a spring or a bit of spring launched shrapnel.

Getting things together for another trailer upgrade, adding brakes to the second axle. It's our only tandem axle trailer that doesn't have brakes on both axles. Parts should come in next week, will post as things progress.

Parts came in, but one of the brake assemblies had partially disassembled itself in transit (big box, too much free space). Etrailer is sending a replacement (yeah! I don't have drum brake tools), but things are on hold until it comes.

OK, I got started on the install in the AM to avoid the heat that was coming. I jacked the trailer by lowering the tongue to the lowest position & placing jack stands at the rear. I then cranked the tongue jack untill the tires were clear of the ground.
PXL_20220802_133022216B.jpg

PXL_20220802_133036143B.jpg

I figured I'd do one side & then the other. I'll get started with the wiring while doing the left side as that is where the connection box is located.

Started by removinng wheel & the idler hub

PXL_20220802_135149146B.jpg

PXL_20220802_135654493B.jpg

at this point I could go ahead & bolt on the brake assembly to the brake flange.

PXL_20220802_140857390B.jpg

and then the brake drum with pre-greased & installed bearings

PXL_20220802_143135836B.jpg

Then I initiated a new brake wire connection at the wiring junction box. I'm add a 12 AWG silicon coated wire run for the new brakes. I added it to the stud that holds the brake wire from the 7 way plug.

PXL_20220802_151826215B.jpg

At this point things were starting to warm up enough that my glasses were catching too much sweat, so I did one sanity check before head into the A/C - test fitting the wheel.

It didn't fit.

First thought was I ordered the wrong hub size (5 on 5) even though I double checked measurements multiple times. So I measured my hub adjacent lugs again, 3" center to center, then measured the lug spacing on the received hub. They didn't match.

A "5 on 5" should measure 3" between centers on adjacent lugs. The received hub measured 2.75". That measurement should belong to a "5 on 4.75" hub.

I then actually took a closer look at the box the hub came in

PXL_20220802_163716846EEB.jpg

Doh!

The Etrailer inventory sticker & bar code says "5 on 5" but the Axle Teknology label actually indicates 5 on 4.75.

Made a call to E-trailer. After I described what happened they asked if there was a colored dot on the drum & what color it was. I told them there was a green one & they replied "It should have been red, sorry it's the wrong size, we'll ship out replacements". So now I'm waiting on their arrival to finish up. I'll get started on the the other side & finish up wiring while I'm waiting.

to be continued ......

Last edited:
   / New trailer for the gator #17  
Nice work so far.

I've always wanted to add electric brakes to a small dump trailer I have. It's designed for off road, but could be made street legal with the addition of brakes and lights. I want to make life easier on the antique truck I use to tow it around on occasion (mostly the trailer is used off road, behind my tractor). You inspired me to contact eTrailer and see if they have something that will fit.

Well, looks like the replacement drum/hub assemblies should be here monday. I did a bit with the brake wire layout & had enough to include a home run ground line back to the junction box. No need to ground to the frame. The ground line will get ID flags to differentiate it from the brake run.

OK, finally got back to working on the trailer. The hubs came in and were correct (even tested wheel fit to be sure). Before starting on the hubs, I finished wiring in the ground line to the junction box & did final layout and brake wire connections.

The left side got "in-line" connections with brake & ground lines which then continued over to the right side for connection there. Wires were zip tied to the top of the axle to stay safer from possible snagging. I then installed the drum hub. All electrical connections are done with crimp connectors with adhesive lined heat shrink.
PXL_20220812_141908809B.jpg

PXL_20220812_145257295B.jpg

PXL_20220812_150510843B.jpg

I removed the old idler hub from the right side, then installed the brake assembly and drum hub. I then made the electrical connections & secured the wiring.
PXL_20220812_145245168B.jpg

PXL_20220812_150510843B.jpg

PXL_20220812_151836637B.jpg

The last steps are getting old & new brakes adjusted to the same drag, then mounting the wheels & putting it away.

ETA - after adjustment, tested the install by pulling the pin on the breakaway box. New brakes locked up properly.

Last edited:
Last bit was to get the wheels back on. Found out the conical lug nuts supplied with the new hubs were A bit large on the flat end to fit in the 13/16 socket I was using. Threads were the same as those on the idler so I just reused the old lug nuts so everything uses one size. Torqued all to 90 ft/lb and called it a day.