New trailer needs a lift, help

/ New trailer needs a lift, help #11  
John John, Don't just put the axles under the springs to raise the trailer. The axles are built with a certain amount of arch so they settle straight under load. You will need to weld new spring perchs on top of your axle to keep the arch in the correct position and to keep the adjustment hole for the brakes from being hidden behind the springs.
I would bet that you can weld a stiff leg on both ramps that is an inch or so off the ground when you let the ramps down, then they will hit the ground as you drive the tractor off. With the tractor off the trailer the stiff leggs will then be clear of the ground so you can raise the ramps, Later Nat

/ New trailer needs a lift, help #12  
Johnjohn, I recently purchased a 20 ft. PJ trailer. I had two choices on the lot. One an 18ft. 2 ft. dovetail, with ramps that are spring loaded on the back. The other a 20ft. straight bed with two jacks, one on each side of the rear of the trailer. I wanted the dove tail but my brotherinlaw who has a lot of experinces with trailers and equipment recommended the straight because of the hilly area that I live in. So thats what I got. I noticed on the dovetail, that the ramps had a v under them so that the dovetail would not hit the ground when loading, that may be a thought for you if your ramps does not have that. Or like some one else said install a jack on each side of the rear of the trailer. Mine has a pin that I pull out and rotate the jack down and then put the pin back and lower the jack. When finished I rotate the jack back side ways with the trailer and put the pin back in and it just stays there. Hope that helps.