New welder... probably multimatic 215 but not sure

/ New welder... probably multimatic 215 but not sure #11  
So does anybody see a big disadvantage of possibly having to use 6011 instead of 6010? I'll never be doing code work or I'd be looking at completely different welders. Also, I never use 6010 by itself, it is only used to tack or as a first pass to dig deep when I am welding thicker material, then finish with 7018.

I don't see any problem with it. I used 6011 and 6010 this summer. I found them similar enough not to really matter.

Grab some 1/8" and see what you think of them, then you'll know for sure.

/ New welder... probably multimatic 215 but not sure #12  
mike I've owned three Everlast welders, and played with a couple of their Mig welders. For the money they are fantastic welders!
Now let me explain. In 1982 I bought this Miller Trailblazer 55D. Paid $9,378.00 for it. Almost 2 years ago I bought this Lincoln Vantage 400. Paid $12,500.00 for it. The Miller welder I rented it to the companies I worked for, for $650.00 a month. Sold it in 1995 for $4,500.00. The Vantage 400 is just for me to play with.:D

Attachments

• Feeder.jpg
    Feeder.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 88
  • LN-25.jpg
    LN-25.jpg
    301.1 KB · Views: 102
   / New welder... probably multimatic 215 but not sure #13  
I have looked into everlast, but honesly even though I have heard of people having great things to say about them I just can't get over the fact that I see them as a cheap import. I know it would probably serve me fine for many years I just can't bring myself to buy one... just like I can't bring myself to buy anything but the most trivial things from harbor freight even though their tools have more or less proven to be adequate for most things. No offense to Mark or anybody that owns one... it's just my thing. Same goes for Hyundai and Kia, they seem to be making some pretty competitive vehicles now but I doubt you will ever see me behind the wheel of one.Strangely, in this case, the Esab has the highest msrp, though with rebates it pretty close to the miller. But I believe it comes with tig torch and pedal so I guess it's not really a fair comparison, but tig features mean next to nothing to me unless someone can convince me that it is substantially more capable than my idealarc.

The Rebel is a Cheap import too so do include that in your thoughts. ESAB doesn't make Anything except a little bit of wire. They buy and put their sticker on the Rebel. It's an ok machine but I suggest you call a couple of welder repair houses before you buy one. Massive lead times for repair parts and a total POS gun on it. 1st thing you would want to do is buy a better gun. Good Luck on what ever you choose.

/ New welder... probably multimatic 215 but not sure #14  
So does anybody see a big disadvantage of possibly having to use 6011 instead of 6010? I'll never be doing code work or I'd be looking at completely different welders. Also, I never use 6010 by itself, it is only used to tack or as a first pass to dig deep when I am welding thicker material, then finish with 7018.

6011 and 6010 are both what they call cellulose coated rods and they run similar in that they need a little more open circuit voltage to get them going. I'm the last one however to know much more about burning them in person. Many on here do though.

/ New welder... probably multimatic 215 but not sure
The Rebel is a Cheap import too so do include that in your thoughts. ESAB doesn't make Anything except a little bit of wire. They buy and put their sticker on the Rebel. It's an ok machine but I suggest you call a couple of welder repair houses before you buy one. Massive lead times for repair parts and a total POS gun on it. 1st thing you would want to do is buy a better gun. Good Luck on what ever you choose.
I'm starting to realize that more and more as I look into things. I guess since I've seen them around for a long time and the fact that two of the big welding supply places near me (one is airgas) are distributors for Esab that they were at least a higher-end import. To be honest I was actually under the impression they were a European import, but at least lately it seems they fall into the "cheap import" category more and more. That and the fact that pricewise they aren't even that great have made me pretty much dismiss them as well. Though I plan to visit another distributor near me and I will at least take the time to look at one in person (another reason I'm not too keen on everlast is I can't physically check one out before buying).

/ New welder... probably multimatic 215 but not sure #16  
Yomax has hit upon what I wasn't going to bring up initially, because it didn't seem worth it because it's been mentioned several times on this forum... but a lot of people ignore searching for the facts and acknowledging it when it isn't convenient. Yomax knows what he is talking about. Everlast has built product in the same plant as ESAB and Thermal Arc and in fact started the MTS class market in 2009 and the product was more specialized for us than for the Fabricator. But since Yomax did bring it up, it is worth going on to mention that Lincoln is import as well in this market, with their product being made in Mexico, out of similar components and had their share of issues with feed system, and much of their parts are Chinese made. The Miller itself is not made in USA. At best, It is assembled here, but that is it.
Everlast isn't cheap, if that is what you think. It is cheaper, but far from Harbor Freight typical quality. It uses name brand components inside, and parts are made everywhere from the US to Germany to Japan to Korea and back to China. But they are quality parts, and not proprietary or private labeled components. One thing we do, is use copper. A lot of companies use aluminum to cheapen and lighten up their products. That includes the name brands. Another thing, is that we do have a 5 year warranty. If our product was as cheap as you say, we'd be out of business 1) It failed at a high rate as people would put our company under with lawsuits 2) We had to repair a huge number of units with our slimmer margins than Miller or Lincoln carry on their products during the 5 years.

Thanks Mark, I respect your presence on this forum and always have, that's part of why I don't like to say what I had to say. I am aware of the Lincoln being made in Mexico and Miller not really being made here much. ****, many of my dewalt tools are made in Mexico... it's not something I like but something I have to accept. As far as Esab, I knew they were imported but they have almost a mainstream presence and local availability which led me to believe they were, as I said at least possibly a European import, which is easier to swallow. They had just recently (like in the last 2 weeks) came even close to being considered by me, so no I hadn't put a ton of research into them.

I acknowledged the fact that Everlast has nothing but a good reputation, I don't believe they are a pos, but I'm not about to have something shipped halfway across the country and spend what doesn't amount to much less than blue or red soley based on an online picture and a spec sheet. If you guys could get set up with some distributors I would be more likely to consider, but that would likely bring the cost even closer to the others. So maybe their margins aren't all that much higher when you take everything into consideration?

Your response implies that I know nothing and do little research when in fact this has been a consideration for me for years and it has just taken this long to be in a position to finally move on it and things have changed a little so I'm exploring other options.

/ New welder... probably multimatic 215 but not sure #18  
Notice the everlast advertising on this website through sales people aswell as paid banners.

Ive never seen a green welder where im located never heard of them untill researching the 215s

I havent bought yet so who knows i could go green. I think i need a plazma first

So I visited another welding supply today and they have a demo unit miller multimatic 215, can't tell it's ever been used. It's missing the mig gun but they said they'd give me a 250 amp bernard instead 🖒. $1080 plus tax... why I didn't walk out with it I'm not sure... wait yes I do, it's because I don't really have the cash until next Friday . I will either move some money around or see if he will hold it, will probably need to put a deposit but not a big deal.

I really hope I didn't hurt anybody's feelings here, that wasn't the point of this thread, but at this point I don't care what anybody has to offer I don't think anybody can beat this deal.

/ New welder... probably multimatic 215 but not sure #20  
Looks to me like the 215 might have a bit more "grunt" than the 211 (one of my wire machines) - if you're ANYTHING like me, do NOT let 'em "toss in" a 10' gun - the feed on BOTH the new machines can handle a 15' one, to me that's the MINIMUM I'd want. My mm252 has a 15' gun and a 30A spool gun (30 feet), and there are times when I'll put a 2# spool of hard wire in the 30A just for the reach.

When I bought the mm211 I had to take it "as is", which is ONLY shipped with a 10' gun - so I paid extra for a M150 gun/15'. Just my $.02, I'd definitely let 'em gimme a 15" Bernard over the Miller guns... Steve