New Welder

/ New Welder #11  
I think it was worth getting the Pulsed MIG The pulse I use more on aluminum but have used it on steel as well and it does reduce spatter.
A feature less mentioned of the HTP Pro Pulse is the ST-arc.

I definitely noticed this MIGS ability to get deep into a corner (extended stick out) and make a really nice weld with Good penetration
from HTP website description:

The ST-arc function reads welding parameters back to the welding machine live (while welding), and monitors and keeps the arc length constant, while allowing the stick-out (contact tip to work distance) to vary. ST-arc, essentially, allows the new welder to focus on the location of the weld, as well as the travel speed, and also allows the experienced welder to keep a perfectly uniform bead and uniform heat input, which enables the welder to achieve good welds in tight corners—a feat that couldn't be reached previously with conventional welding equipment.

Here is some aluminum MIG in" double pulse In 4T" Zila welding.
If you plan on Migging aluminum I would get Pulse.
Later he switches to the HTP TIG to finish the tank

Welders definitely remind me of muscle cars, Speed costs money... How Fast do you want to Go?
Would really like to have a more "advanced" TIG in the Future.
My ancient sine wave IdealArc TIG does have plenty of current available though with a max of 375 amps.
No problem welding pretty thick metal, A new smart TIG would really make welding thinner materials easier with much better control.

Last edited:
   / New Welder #12  
I guess I should try out the pulse feature on my Miller Mig. When I bought it it was configured for aluminum welding and had a 25 foot Python push-pull whip connected. It also came with another 25 foot Python whip for steel. I bought a 12 foot regular whip because I was welding steel mostly. But since folks here laud the pulse feature I should at least try it. And the guy I bought it from will certainly help me with the pulse feature if I ask.
Eric

/ New Welder #13  
I guess I should try out the pulse feature on my Miller Mig. When I bought it it was configured for aluminum welding and had a 25 foot Python push-pull whip connected. It also came with another 25 foot Python whip for steel. I bought a 12 foot regular whip because I was welding steel mostly. But since folks here laud the pulse feature I should at least try it. And the guy I bought it from will certainly help me with the pulse feature if I ask.
Eric
Yeah, I was surprised in just how "different" the arc sounds when doing any single or double pulse welding .

Process Sounds totally different.

Actually noticed myself laughing the first time I used it. (Made me giddy:)

The MIGs can Go into spray mode during the pulse phase. Gets more expensive on the gasses needed to.
To really do it right I need to get some 90+% Argon

I would definitely try out the pulse mode on your Miller. I think you will like it.

Last edited: