New welding table I made

/ New welding table I made #11  
Even when welding in a metal building and table , when finished do something useful for a few minutes , like put away tools , clean the shop etc . This will usually give time for any combustibles to show themselves . Yes , even blown insulation that's fire resistant / proof will smolder from the sparks of a grinder way over along a wall . Yep , something smells weird and difficult to locate but i stayed with it until it was located . i wasn't closing shop until i found it .

/ New welding table I made #12  
Yeah I know what you mean. It looks like a very solid worktable. It is just one that is unfortunately risky to use for serious metal work. Plenty of other good uses for it.

/ New welding table I made #13  
Reading this thread got me worried about burning my new pole barn down, so I made up a steel welding table. I used some junk from my scrap pile, and it took me about an hour.

The top is a piece of heavy steel c-channel about 12” wide x 30” long. The front legs are angle iron. The back legs are made from an old dolly that one of my old barn frame and roof fell down on and crushed a few years ago, after I had stripped off all the siding. It was a twin to this one I am dismantling right now.

6F8EECA3-8DAA-4E5F-97BE-FA2FC19D9BEC.jpeg

A511E417-C899-4F0C-A311-35E90147FED0.jpeg

/ New welding table I made #14  
Our family farm and my concrete business generate a somewhat regular need for welding stuff, so after years of welding on makeshift tables made out of sawhorses and plywood, my dad and I finally made a dedicated welding table. You can see on the front corner where there is no wood under the steel top. That's where we clip the ground.

The 4" angle iron has multiple holes for a 3/8" bolt to cinch down. The bolt goes down through the steel top and through the 1 1/8" plywood to a nut that's welded to a small plate which is screwed into the bottom of the plywood. I welded a washer on the head of the bolt for easy, tool-less turning.

I used steel casters and the red handle to move the table is from a roll away tool chest. The 4" angle iron isn't quite done yet, as I have to modify it to allow clamping things horizontally.

I'll post pics of the welder and plasma cutter here soon. Our local welding shop has commented that "for a concrete outfit, you guys sure do a lot of fabrication."
I built a wood stove once. It lasted about a half hour. Once the plywood caught on fire it was over. Lol 😂

/ New welding table I made #15  
I do my welding outside to carry the fumes away. There's no telling what all is being vaporized into the air when using a plasma cutter.

For the OP, I see some people building metal grates to fit over 55 gallon drums that they use for their plasma cutting so they don't cut up their welding table. You might look into that.

I'd use that wooden base for tool storage or another workbench somewhere else in the shop and get some metal under the OP's welding table.

/ New welding table I made #16  
I do my welding outside to carry the fumes away. There's no telling what all is being vaporized into the air when using a plasma cutter.

For the OP, I see some people building metal grates to fit over 55 gallon drums that they use for their plasma cutting so they don't cut up their welding table. You might look into that.

I'd use that wooden base for tool storage or another workbench somewhere else in the shop and get some metal under the OP's welding table.
I plan on the same, weather permitting. I made my table small and portable enough to move inside if necessary, but most of the time it will be under the this covered porch:
92AC04A6-B00F-4ACC-925C-02B63947D964.jpeg

/ New welding table I made #17  
I plan on the same, weather permitting. I made my table small and portable enough to move inside if necessary, but most of the time it will be under the this covered porch:
View attachment 740635
That's a nice clean building and concrete. If you use a grinder, be careful which way the sparks are flying. If directed toward the building, little rust blooms will appear.

You'll probably also notice rust stains on the concrete from welding and grinding. Those darn little particles of steel have a way of doing that.

/ New welding table I made #18  
Thanks
That's a nice clean building and concrete. If you use a grinder, be careful which way the sparks are flying. If directed toward the building, little rust blooms will appear.

You'll probably also notice rust stains on the concrete from welding and grinding. Those darn little particles of steel have a way of doing that.

Thanks, thats good to know. I’ll wheel the table over to the other side of the porch, and let the chips fly out onto the grass, or at least as far as my welder cables reach. It will also be harder to ignite that little strip of pressure treated lumber under the steel siding and above the concrete that way.

That piece of threaded rod makes a good handle to tip the table back and roll it around.

/ New welding table I made #19  
Have a fan that blows above me out the door of the shop. Use respirator with 2097 filters when plasma cutting or welding galvanize parts. Also when doing much grinding or rust removal. Use some of these Covid disposable masks for grinding. Surprised what they don’t stop compared to a real respirator.