New YT235 Implement Selection

/ New YT235 Implement Selection #1  

Terrapro88

Tractor
1988 Yamaha Terrapro
So, I finally decided on the YT235. Thanks to all that gave input to help me make my decision! It should be delivered in the next couple days.

I am now looking for a rotary cutter and box blade. I am partial to Woods/Yanmar brand as I have been using Woods brand with my Terrapro and have had excellent service from them. I also, at least for a while (they are not sure they will continue to carry Yanmar) have a Yanmar dealer I can get them from that is 10 minutes from my house.

For those of you that have the YT235, what size implements are y'all using?

With a PTO HP of 27 and a width of 58.3" , it seems maybe 5ft would the safest choice in a rotary cutter??? Is anyone using a 6ft cutter? Box Blade wise, I have been looking at 65" and 72". Would 72" be to much?

Thanks!

Last edited:
   / New YT235 Implement Selection #2  
Take a look at: Tractor Attachments - Quality Attachments for Sale Online - Everything Attachments

They build some nice attachments.

/ New YT235 Implement Selection
Take a look at: Tractor Attachments - Quality Attachments for Sale Online - Everything Attachments

They build some nice attachments.

Thanks! They do make some great attachments. I like that they do all the videos explaining how they build the attachments and what the benifits are. I also like that I could get free delivery!

/ New YT235 Implement Selection #4  
I would go for a 5ft rotary cutter. You're at 27 PTO hp which will put you at the sweet spot of 5.4hp per foot of rotary cutter. Plus, when you crest a hill, a 5ft RC probably won't have enough weight and leverage to lift your front wheels off the ground, whereas with a 6ft all bets are off. My 5ft Bush Hog is 64" wide, which would be perfect for your 58" rear tire width. When I lift the 5ft Bush Hog with my 2400lb Ford 8N, the front wheels are very light, and the 8N has a 70in wheelbase, whereas as the YT235 has a 65in wheelbase. Get some suitcase weights for the front if you plan to mow with the loader off. Better to have enough tractor to drive an implement, rather than having the implement drive you.

/ New YT235 Implement Selection #5  
If it were me, I'd go for the 65in box blade. It's big enough to cover your tire tracks but not too big. Box blades weigh a lot when full. What kind of work are you doing with the BB?

For rear blades or landscape rakes, I'd go 6ft.

Congrats on the YT235 BTW, awesome machine, and likely my next tractor.

/ New YT235 Implement Selection #6  
7' on a blade when angled probably isn't too big.

Ditto on the 5' brush hog.

I would go for a 5ft rotary cutter. You're at 27 PTO hp which will put you at the sweet spot of 5.4hp per foot of rotary cutter. Plus, when you crest a hill, a 5ft RC probably won't have enough weight and leverage to lift your front wheels off the ground, whereas with a 6ft all bets are off. My 5ft Bush Hog is 64" wide, which would be perfect for your 58" rear tire width. When I lift the 5ft Bush Hog with my 2400lb Ford 8N, the front wheels are very light, and the 8N has a 70in wheelbase, whereas as the YT235 has a 65in wheelbase. Get some suitcase weights for the front if you plan to mow with the loader off. Better to have enough tractor to drive an implement, rather than having the implement drive you.

Thanks! We do live on a slight hill. So, weight going up hill could be a factor.

The two cutters I have been looking at are:

Light Duty:
Woods/RC5 - Yanmar YRC60
60" Cutting Width
65.5" Transport Width
Cutting Height 2" - 9"
Cutting Capacity 1"
Gearbox - 50hp
Weight - 494lbs
Blade Tip Speed (fpm) - 13,620
Cutting Deck Thickness - 11 Gauge
Frame and Deck Support - 3/8 Rails

Standard Duty:
Woods BB60 - Yanmar YRC600
60" Cutting Width
65.5" Transport Width
Cutting Height 1" - 9"
Cutting Capacity 2"
Gearbox - 65hp
Weight - 604lbs
Blade Tip Ppeed (fpm) - 14, 355
Cutting Deck Thickness - 10 Guage
Frame and Deck Support - 3 x 4 Full Length Structural Beams

The RC5/YRC60 would likely be more than sufficient for what I would need as I don't really have any saplings etc to cut down. I have been using a Woods RC42 for 6 years without incident.
However, I would hate to need to do something and not have the capacity of the YRC600/BB60 and as we don't have a manicured lawn, the 1" cutting height on the BB60 might be nice.

Do you see an issue with the weight of the BB60? I thought it might be nice for a ballast.

If it were me, I'd go for the 65in box blade. It's big enough to cover your tire tracks but not too big. Box blades weigh a lot when full. What kind of work are you doing with the BB?

For rear blades or landscape rakes, I'd go 6ft.

Congrats on the YT235 BTW, awesome machine, and likely my next tractor.

The box blade will likely be used mostly for smoothing out a few small berms/general smoothing around our property, I have a ditch that diverts water away from our house that I need to keep sloped and cut properly and about 150' of driveway to keep maintain.

/ New YT235 Implement Selection #10  
Thanks! We do live on a slight hill. So, weight going up hill could be a factor.

The two cutters I have been looking at are:

Light Duty:
Woods/RC5 - Yanmar YRC60
60" Cutting Width
65.5" Transport Width
Cutting Height 2" - 9"
Cutting Capacity 1"
Gearbox - 50hp
Weight - 494lbs
Blade Tip Speed (fpm) - 13,620
Cutting Deck Thickness - 11 Gauge
Frame and Deck Support - 3/8 Rails

Standard Duty:
Woods BB60 - Yanmar YRC600
60" Cutting Width
65.5" Transport Width
Cutting Height 1" - 9"
Cutting Capacity 2"
Gearbox - 65hp
Weight - 604lbs
Blade Tip Ppeed (fpm) - 14, 355
Cutting Deck Thickness - 10 Guage
Frame and Deck Support - 3 x 4 Full Length Structural Beams

The RC5/YRC60 would likely be more than sufficient for what I would need as I don't really have any saplings etc to cut down. I have been using a Woods RC42 for 6 years without incident.
However, I would hate to need to do something and not have the capacity of the YRC600/BB60 and as we don't have a manicured lawn, the 1" cutting height on the BB60 might be nice.

Do you see an issue with the weight of the BB60? I thought it might be nice for a ballast.

If the price difference isn't too large I'd recommend going with the BB60. Thicker gauge steel, beefier all around. Good for ballast and there's something satisfying owning equipment of good quality. Gives you some extra capacity if you ever need it. My 5ft Bush hog Squealer comes in at 620lbs, so the BB60 is probably equivalent.