NewBee issues

/ NewBee issues #1  

prs

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 650, Ventrac 4500Z AJ02248
I mowed about 3 acres this morning with the 4500Z and contour mower. Wide open throttle, full on weight transfer. 10 to 30 degree and no problem with that stability wise. But, with the SDLA Assist "off" the hydraulic flow rate to the motors still fades to neutral in only a moment or so. Seems to hold a little more steady if I have used the foot control, but still fades to neutral or almost neutral. With the assist on the system works as described in the manual and by my dealer. The manual and dealer instruction for assist "off" had me thinking the machine would hold its flow rate to the motors thus providing a fairly steady rate of speed without having to keep pressure on the SDLA lever or foot treadle. The way it is, the feature is pretty much useless. Perhaps there is an adjustment needed?

Another thing I did not expect is that the machine will run away either forward or backward when on a slope. I have to use some power in opposite direction to keep speed steady. That would not give me concern except the owner's manual, the Ventrac Videos and the dealer warned me not to tow or push the vehicle with the motors engaged because having the drive train power the motors would destroy the motors. So what would be different about towing as compared to letting gravity pull the tractor along as it increases speed on a down grade slope?

Other than those things, all was well and its easy to drive and did a good mowing job.

prs

/ NewBee issues #2  
I'm not 100 percent sure I understand your problem, but I can tell you that your right hand should never be relaxed or off that lever on any hill, and since the hydraulic system is also the service braking system, you are going to need to push and pull quite a bit on hills, to maintain the correct speeds. As for pushing or pulling, the difference is your engine is running this way, and there is full system pressure, and no damage will occur as long as its running and excessive loads aren't being applied to the wheel motors..

/ NewBee issues
Raw Dodge, I did consider the difference in towing and holding back on a steep grade is that the engine is running when working on grade.

Regarding the issue were the neutral assist operates as described in the manual, but the when that feature is "off" the tractor still operates as if the assist is "sort of" functioning; that is the part that bothers me. Neutral assist returns the SDLA to stop or neutral when you let go of the lever. If neutral assist is "off" the machine should continue at same power level as the SLDA remains set. I would not run the tractor on grade with neutral assist "off", but out in large wide open fields such would be an advantage.

prs

/ NewBee issues #4  
I have an older 4200 so I know nothing about the neutral assist. I honestly prefer the Steiners on steep hills, requiring duals...to my ventrac, I just feel more comfortable on them and I like the dash mounted speed lever better in those conditions. Probably because I've been running them 25yrs, as opposed to just a few on the ventrac.

/ NewBee issues #5  
The behavior of the hydro system is typical for compact tractors, i.e., the hand lever and/or foot pedal must be manipulated to hold constant ground speed when traveling up or down slopes. There are some CUTS that have a "cruise control" option that can be used to maintain ground speed, but the Ventrac does not. The Ventrac system has 2 settings as you note. With the "assist off," the hydro returns to neutral by means of a spring when the hand or foot control is released. The is recommended for use when a new operator is learning the ropes. It is also the only mode used by most CUTS. But the Ventrac offers a second mode, "assist off," when there is no spring assisted return to neutral. In this mode, the hand and/or foot must manually return the hydro to neutral. This is the setting most Ventrac operators will use all of the time once they have become accustomed to the tractor because this offers the least effort required by the hand or foot.

I prefer to use both the hand and foot pedal together, and I always have the "return to neutral spring" set to off. If the return to neutral is ON, when mowing steep slopes the hand can become fatigued from the pressure if that is the only means of controlling the hydro. Same is true if only the foot is used. With the return to neutral set to Off, the hand or foot pressure is much less, but there is still some required. By always keeping your hand on the lever and your foot on the pedal, they work in tandem to help each other. Thus neither the hand nor the foot is overworked.

When approaching an attachment or implement to make connection to the tractor, use only the hand since this provides the most precise control. Same when driving in and around tight quarters. The hydro control (hand and/or foot) is the only means of controlling ground speed and direction and is the primary means of braking. The parking brake can serve as a panic brake if necessary, but this is not normal.

Once you become accustomed to the system, it will seem very natural and intuitive.

/ NewBee issues
JackIL, your description is exactly how it is. That is not how the dealer 'splained it and not exactly how the manual describes it, but you are spot-on.

prs

/ NewBee issues #7  
Jack probably has more experience operating a ventrac on slopes than 99 percent of those who own them. The management/ ownership at Ventrac is fortune to have a friend in him, his product endorsement , detailed explanations of how and why are second to none, all his videos are top notch. No one has ever explained the reasons a ventrac is so good on hills, and how to safely operate on them,in a way that's easy to understand better than Jack.
If Jack endorses it...it's a proven, tested, and we'll built product. ;)

/ NewBee issues #8  
Raw Dodge,

Thanks for your kind remarks. I try to be clear and helpful in explaining how things work. I really do appreciate your vote of confidence in my participation here.

/ NewBee issues #9  
No problem Jack, thank you for sharing your vast knowledge and expertise, you are a huge asset to the site and all the members, myself included you have helped with information , your pictures and your videos.Im grateful to you.

/ NewBee issues #10  
No problem Jack, thank you for sharing your vast knowledge and expertise, you are a huge asset to the site and all the members, myself included you have helped with information , your pictures and your videos.Im grateful to you.

Seconded.