Newbie considering 2 wheel tractor for rotavating

/ Newbie considering 2 wheel tractor for rotavating #1  

GadgetBazza

Tractor
None
Hi all,

As per title, newbie to tractors here. I've been landscaping / clearing the land on our house and will be wanting to prepare around 1 acre for turf shortly. I also have a further 5.75 acres that I'd like to tackle in phases. It's currently just left to grow wild grass.

I have a JCB 8026 excavator and have levelled as best I can using the blade on this, but there are lots of ruts and the ground is now hard (mostly clay under the top soil where it still exists).

So I'm toying with something like a BCS rotavator, I've no idea what size I should opt for though, 738/740/750? From the brochures, only difference seems to be power and weight. I understand that the weight is proportional to traction, and this may be necessary to work into the hard ground?

Also, the diesel engined versions are more expensive, how necessary is this to good operation as I know diesel is more torquey than petrol (gas)?

As you may have guessed, I'm based in the UK, not sure if the ranges are different in the US as the BCS is only supplied with the PowerSafe clutch over here.

I did look at the Grillo also, and this is an option also if it's well regarded. The only piece leaning me towards the BCS currently is the Precision Depth Roller attachment for the rotavator appears to work well for preparing for seeding / turfing?

I've been trying to find these machines as a hire option, but haven't come across anything in the UK (Essex) so far!

*edit* Meant to ask! My main question, is this the correct kind of machine for the job or should I be looking at something else?

Any thoughts on this please?

Thanks
Barry

/ Newbie considering 2 wheel tractor for rotavating #2  
Hi Barry, welcome to the site.
Not familiar with your JCB but my neighbor has a Kubota mini-excavator that has a box-blade with scarifier teeth, seems to do a good job of ripping new ground and leveling, though not as easy as with a compact tractor. We use our BCS for gardening and flail-mowing, everything else is done with our sub-compact tractor.

As a former Brit, I'm surprised that there is still that much undeveloped land in Essex :)
Cheers :drink:

/ Newbie considering 2 wheel tractor for rotavating
Thanks Wes.

Not sure what a box blade is, I'll research that. My concern with the excavator is that it won't run level enough to prepare the land properly, maybe that's just my lack of skill!

I have a Husqvarna Rider 320 AWD ride on mower which I also have a flail for. The strength and capability of the flail surprised me when I used it on the brush in the field, basically, if the ride on could push it over it would smash it up!

So I don't have the potential to repurpose the BCS for a mower as well, unless I considered selling on the mower, but to be honest, I think the ride on would be a better bet longer term for grass cutting, probably more a case of moving the 2 wheel tractor on if it's not being used.

There are still some pockets of land, no development rights, but that's fine, we moved here just over 4 years ago to get away from the concrete jungle and sprawling disease of London! Hopefully it will stay far enough away to last us until we are ready to retire to something smaller.

:drink:

/ Newbie considering 2 wheel tractor for rotavating #4  
. . . and will be wanting to prepare around 1 acre for turf shortly. I also have a further 5.75 acres that I'd like to tackle in phases. It's currently just left to grow wild grass . . . I have a JCB 8026 excavator and have levelled as best I can using the blade on this, but there are lots of ruts and the ground is now hard (mostly clay under the top soil where it still exists).
I've been trying to find [BCS 2-wheeled tractor] as a hire option, but haven't come across anything in the UK (Essex) so far!
Barry

You may not need another machine. With a toothbar on my FEL bucket and teeth on my backhoe bucket I have "scarified" soil to the depth of the tooth length (about 4") and "spaded" soil to greater depth by lowering the boom and curling the bucket. I have watched highly skilled (compared to my meager talents) operators grade lawns to bowling green flatness using a RR tie (sleeper?, a timber about 8" x 8" x 8') grasped between the excavator bucket and thumb, or using an implement consisting of an approx. 1/2" x 10" x 6' steel blade with pockets for the excavator bucket teeth and secured with chain. It may take some time, mostly acquiring the skill to manipulate the machine.

If you do decide to "buy to try" and later resell a 2-wheeled tractor, investigate the local market/dealer network thoroughly. Italy has or had a multitude of 2-wheel tractor manufacturers each with a unique PTO spline arrangement to ensure a "captive" market. I bought a Goldoni in the 1980's. The importer from whom I bought ceased operations around 2000, and the successor US distributor ceased selling them some years ago. I am given to understand the Italian Goldoni company went bankrupt and was bought by the Chinese. I think Goldoni may have a presence in the UK but more centered on their articulated vineyard/orchard tractors. In the states BCS has been the stayer.

/ Newbie considering 2 wheel tractor for rotavating #5  
Goldoni is still in operation though. I have two, but used, bought from Italy. However, there is a Croation company, Labin Progres (LABINPROGRES - TPS d.o.o.), that makes them under license from Goldoni (or at least orginally in the 80s it was under license). When repairing the gearbox of my Super Special 128, I actually used parts bought from them, as they are cheaper and yet an identical fit. They list a UK distributor as: Shire Tractors

To the OP-- the rotary plow attachment on mine really shines for making gardens, the rotovator gets used some as well, and of course the brush mower. But, especially if you have to buy the two wheel tractor new (not sure how prevalent they are on the UK market used), I would wonder if you couldn't find a used four wheel tractor with rotovator for less?

/ Newbie considering 2 wheel tractor for rotavating #6  
Thanks Wes.

Not sure what a box blade is, I'll research that. My concern with the excavator is that it won't run level enough to prepare the land properly, maybe that's just my lack of skill!

Drove by my neighbor's place, noticed that the mini-excavator has been replaced by a compact tractor. Exactly what you say, being on tracks it was almost impossible to level the ground + he had finished digging holes, so he traded it in. Now running a tiller and the box blade on the tractor 3-point hitch - much better.

This is the box blade he has:
BB12 Series Box Scrapers | Land Pride

Last edited:
   / Newbie considering 2 wheel tractor for rotavating
Thanks Wes,

that's really useful. I spoke to a vendor in the UK that supplies 2 wheel tractors and explained what I was trying to do. He confirmed that something like a BCS 740 would be an obvious choice if a tractor wasn't an option.

However, given what you have just shown, I'm going to try a few agricultural equipment places and see if I can't come up with an option to hire a small tractor and box blade setup. Is it a fairly common combination of equipment?

Thanks
Barry

/ Newbie considering 2 wheel tractor for rotavating #8  
Thanks Wes,

that's really useful. I spoke to a vendor in the UK that supplies 2 wheel tractors and explained what I was trying to do. He confirmed that something like a BCS 740 would be an obvious choice if a tractor wasn't an option.

Just my opinion. Having both a BCS and a sub-compact tractor, I wouldn't want to till 7 acres with a 2-wheeler :)

However, given what you have just shown, I'm going to try a few agricultural equipment places and see if I can't come up with an option to hire a small tractor and box blade setup. Is it a fairly common combination of equipment?

Thanks
Barry

Yes, very common here and in that country to the south of us. My sub-compact is only 18 HP but will easily handle a 48" box blade. I grew up with tractors in England until I left in the 70s, but I'm not sure what is available these days.

Cheers :drink: Alan. (I live and farm in the West Kootenay region of British Columbia - hence the 'handle')