Newbie FEL operation question

/ Newbie FEL operation question #1  

grahamu

Tractor
Kubota B7800
Not sure if this is where I went wrong, but I actually read the manual for the LA402 FEL on my new B7800 and it got me confused.

On one page talking about 'Test Operation' it shows each direction that the control can be moved and what it does. For 3 of the 4 corners it shows the combination movement (raise & dump, lower and dump, lower and rollback). However, for the fourth (raise and rollback) it states the following:

"However, the blank position (Raise & Roll back) is not recommended for scooping because of insufficient lift force".

However, on the very next page on operating the loader it says the following re filling the bucket:

"Approach and enter the pile with a level bucket. Ease control lever toward you and then back to rollback and lift the bucket. The rollback and lifting of the bucket will increase efficiency because a level bucket throughout the lifting cycle resists bucket lift and increases breakaway effort".

To me, these two things seem to be saying the opposite to each other; one says to use the raise and rollback and the other says don't.

I would welcome any thoughts, suggestions, etc.

Thanks,
Graham

/ Newbie FEL operation question
Not sure if this is where I went wrong, but I actually read the manual for the LA402 FEL on my new B7800 and it got me confused.

On one page talking about 'Test Operation' it shows each direction that the control can be moved and what it does. For 3 of the 4 corners it shows the combination movement (raise & dump, lower and dump, lower and rollback). However, for the fourth (raise and rollback) it states the following:

"However, the blank position (Raise & Roll back) is not recommended for scooping because of insufficient lift force".

However, on the very next page on operating the loader it says the following re filling the bucket:

"Approach and enter the pile with a level bucket. Ease control lever toward you and then back to rollback and lift the bucket. The rollback and lifting of the bucket will increase efficiency because a level bucket throughout the lifting cycle resists bucket lift and increases breakaway effort".

To me, these two things seem to be saying the opposite to each other; one says to use the raise and rollback and the other says don't.

I would welcome any thoughts, suggestions, etc.

Thanks,
Graham

/ Newbie FEL operation question #3  
Hey Graham, the manual is correct in saying not to rollback and lift at the same time,as it will lose any real power. And the second statement means to rollback, then lift. I can understand the misinterupretion,but when you get some seat time you see what the manual is meaning.

/ Newbie FEL operation question #4  
Hey Graham, the manual is correct in saying not to rollback and lift at the same time,as it will lose any real power. And the second statement means to rollback, then lift. I can understand the misinterupretion,but when you get some seat time you see what the manual is meaning.

Thanks Orange, I see what you are saying - many thanks for that. I have a big pile of bark chippings just asking to be practiced on!!! Now I just need the rain to stop.

Thanks Orange, I see what you are saying - many thanks for that. I have a big pile of bark chippings just asking to be practiced on!!! Now I just need the rain to stop.

/ Newbie FEL operation question #7  
Graham,

woodchips you will be able to get smoother with some curl and lift because of less weight. When you get to the gravel you need to be more aware of what Orange explained. With the gravel you may need to backup a little to get the lift if you get the bucket in to deep. I was used to using a bigger loader with the gravel and took while to get used to the 403.

/ Newbie FEL operation question #8  
Graham,

woodchips you will be able to get smoother with some curl and lift because of less weight. When you get to the gravel you need to be more aware of what Orange explained. With the gravel you may need to backup a little to get the lift if you get the bucket in to deep. I was used to using a bigger loader with the gravel and took while to get used to the 403.

/ Newbie FEL operation question #9  
Maybe it'll help to think of it this way. When you pull back on the joystick, that opens a valve to send your hydraulic oil pressure to the cylinders that lift the bucket. When you move the joystick to the left, that opens a valve to send the hydraulic oil pressure to the cylinders that roll the bucket back. Now if you do both simultaneously, pull back and left, you open both valves, but the oil pressure is only coming from one place and will naturally follow the path of least resistance. As a result, it will either roll the bucket back or it will raise the bucket but not both simultaneously unless the resistance (weight) is exactly the same on both.

/ Newbie FEL operation question #10  
Maybe it'll help to think of it this way. When you pull back on the joystick, that opens a valve to send your hydraulic oil pressure to the cylinders that lift the bucket. When you move the joystick to the left, that opens a valve to send the hydraulic oil pressure to the cylinders that roll the bucket back. Now if you do both simultaneously, pull back and left, you open both valves, but the oil pressure is only coming from one place and will naturally follow the path of least resistance. As a result, it will either roll the bucket back or it will raise the bucket but not both simultaneously unless the resistance (weight) is exactly the same on both.