Newbie looking to buy

/ Newbie looking to buy #11  
Welcome to TBN.

I would lean towards 50hp,also visit different dealers for test run...hands on.

/ Newbie looking to buy #15  
Plan is to clear a lot of thick brush/underbrush, maintain the network of trails, significant amount of landscaping work between road and house, and will plant a .25 acre garden. A neighbor suggested 50 HP.

/ Newbie looking to buy #16  
I paid $31k for a new cabbed LS XR4140 in 2019. Having a cab is nice but not if you will do a lot of work around trees unless they are cut back. Think about that.

I love having a cab both in the summer and winter, but it is not for everyone.

I have twenty acres of mostly woods and also use the tractor to work food plots on 200+ acres of the hunt club next to me. Everyone loves it. More than enough weight and power. Most of the tasks on my property are firewood processing, grading the drive. and snow blowing/plowing.

/ Newbie looking to buy #17  
I just built a new home on 60 acres and have two family members that have 78 acres beside me. Most is wooded with trail system throughout, and about 20 acres require bush hog.

Plan is to clear a lot of thick brush/underbrush, maintain the network of trails, significant amount of landscaping work between road and house, and will plant a .25 acre garden.

A neighbor suggested a 50 HP and recommended JD out Kubota (reason was they are his favorites).

would love to hear your thoughts and recommendations. I am not mechanically inclined so thinking new would be better than used.

Sounds to me like your neighbor has a good idea of what is required. Is it possible that he would help pick out a particular machine and attachements?

It would be nice to have experienced help for the first machine. There are a lot of options, and the newcomer is not likely to make the best choices. For example, if non-mechanical people are going to be operating it, then you probably want a HST+type of transmission. A multispeed HST is probably the easiest transmission for a non-mechanic, and the most difficult to damage. But that option does limit the choice of tractors.

About limiting the choice of tractors, your neighbor is wise there too. JD and Kubota are equal and both are at the top of the heap in quality. There are many other brands, but I would stay with his advice for the first time. Later as knowledge grows you can branch out. But there are no brands that are better than JD and Kubota. Most of the other brands are competing by offering similar features at lower prices. From what you describe of your place, I don't get the feeling that saving a few dollars is your main interest. Maybe saving time and aggravation might be.

BTW, I just have to comment that on "mechanical inclination". I doubt anyone is born knowing about mechanical things. Mechanics is just a learned skill like reading and writing. It more on a par with being a good cook or painter. Learned by doing & mastered by necessity.
enjoy,
rScotty

/ Newbie looking to buy #18  
JD and Kubota are the most expensive. There is no available data on quality, so it basically comes down to marketing and confirmation bias. Those who own those brands are 100% sure the quality is better because they paid more and to think otherwise would mean they may have erred. Normal human approach, but in the small tractor market you are buying features and dealers. JD and Kubota have more dealers, but you only need one.

There are about a dozen CUT brands in the US (not counting 'store brands'). In no particular order: JD, Kubota. Kioti, LS, TYM, Branson, Mahindra, Yanmar. CaseIH, New Holland, Zetor, and Massey Ferguson. Bobcat (Kioti), Bad Boy (Branson), and RK (TYM) are the major rebranded labels.

Any of these will be the best if you get the best value and dealer support. Any of these will be the worst if you dont.

/ Newbie looking to buy #19  
You need to test drive the different tractors
so you can get a feel of what suits you & your
needs.
are the controls handy easy to reach?
which transmission type do you want?
easy to operate?
comfortable?
cab or no cab? aftermarket cabs no a/c
make a list of what you want to do then
look for the tractor that will fit your needs
Good hunting
Test drive an LS tractor should be able to
get a good idea of what you need from where
the controls are

willy

/ Newbie looking to buy #20  
List your tasks, List your attachments needed and their size.
Than look at tractors in your area that can power those attachments.
I went with the LS 50hp, due to size, power and speed. Good dealer within range. It has been a good match for me. Too big and it has trouble with trails, too small and it is just too slow. I don't have a cab, but no snow and I can live with the heat because I don't live on it. Plus I can see better.
What ever you do, test drive and drive again. I found several tractors that I liked the power, features and price on. But some just did not fit my backend. I didn't think I could sit in that seat for more than 4 to 6 hours a day. Good luck with your search.