Newbie with a “new” Bobcat 743B

/ Newbie with a “new” Bobcat 743B #1  

chris111179

Tractor
BobCat 743B
Hello all,
I have dived into the world of “heavy” equipment. I picked up a new to me 94 Bobcat 743B. In fair condition I believe. I have done plenty of searching to answer my “dumb” questions but have a few that I would like come clarification on a few things.

When the brake pedals is in the forward engaged position should the tractor still move? On this unit it doesn’t seem to matter which position it is in. It will still move.

I was under the understanding that when the lap bar is up the machine won’t move at all. But there doesn’t seem to be any combination of things that makes the machine not able to move. Is there a way to make it so it won’t move for like if I wanted to let it warm up during the winter without me in it?

The machine will sometimes creep forward very slowly on one side. Is there an easy adjustment of this?

I know I have to replace a hydraulic line that I can see leaking along with some sort of a fuel o ring that goes on the convection from the fuel injector line to the fuel injection pump. I can see fuel around all four of them. I will report back on that when the parts come in from bobcat.com.

Thank you!
-Chris

/ Newbie with a “new” Bobcat 743B #2  
The lap bar just locks out the foot pedals for lift and tilt. Chances are that the brake needs adjusting, or something might have come loose inside. If the steering is adjusted to get rid of the creep, you really shouldn't need a brake to keep it from moving. Go over to the skidsteer forum and grab a manual to get the neutral adjust proceedure, link to manual thread is in all of my posts. Chances are there are several threads about it as well, it's a common malady.

/ Newbie with a “new” Bobcat 743B #3  
Subscribed :thumbsup:

/ Newbie with a “new” Bobcat 743B #4  
The neighbor's bobcat creeped and it was a pain to drive. This video pretty much explains what we did to it. Everything wears in the linkages and needs to be adjusted.

/ Newbie with a “new” Bobcat 743B #5  
The Park Brake is mechanical linkage disc brakes. When operating correctly will hold machine from freewheeling and creeping when steering is out of adjustment. It may not be strong enough to hold if left engaged and driven through with steering control.

/ Newbie with a “new” Bobcat 743B
**Update**

Alright. After a miserable day out in the 100 degree sun working on hydraulic lines I have no more hydraulic leaks!!! I took off 4 lines that I would assume are original and had 4 new ones made at NAPA for right around 150 bucks. Not bad! My first time doing them and I definitely learned a few things.

Few days I should have the fuel o rings and copper washers for the “fuel delivery valves” that are leaking. I’m going to try and get some photos of that process, I see a lot of issues people have with them seeping.

After reading another thread about adding some washers to the brake adjustment I went out and got a few 9/16 I.D. 1/8 thick washers and tightened up the brake. Works perfect now! When the brakes on it will kill the machine if you push the sticks.

I have found that the machine has no coolant over flow so I have one on order. Hopefully the universal fit one will work. Bobcat prices where crazy!!

Quick question for everyone. I have “fixed the creeping issue that I had. I found a loose bushing in the right control “stick” that was causing it to flop a little bit forward. My question is, sometimes if I’m going full or close to full speed ahead and let go of the sticks it will continue to go. I see there is a sprint that pulls the sticks back to neutral. Is there an adjustment on it that will put some more tension so they will return to neutral with more force?

Thank you everyone!!