Newer style Victor mouse traps.

/ Newer style Victor mouse traps. #1  

John White

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B3030
Has any one tried the newer style victor mouse traps? I had a mouse that kept going where he should not go. I tried a regular mouse trap but it would just not set off the trap. Finally I got a idea, cut a small hole about 1 1/2" put cat food inside and set the trap. It would still get inside and get the cat food and not set off the trap. I finally did catch him (just by his toe nail) for his effort I didn't kill it, just relocated it. I went to use my drill press the other day and I thought it was on fire, opened the cover and a mouse had built a large nest. I have also had trouble with them trying to build a nest in my air compressor. (I check it every time I use it) So I decided to make up a few more jar traps. I went to RK and found a pack of 4 Victor traps. They are built different than the older ones with a wide tongue that sets them off. I fixed up three of them yesterday and got my first mouse today. I just put a little cereal in it. If you use this trap and make a set up like I have you might want to use tweezers or long nose pliers to set it in the jar because the newer ones have a hair trigger and a much stronger spring.

Attachments

• DSCN1249.JPG
    DSCN1249.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 191
  • DSCN1250.JPG
    DSCN1250.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 198
   / Newer style Victor mouse traps. #2  
I've had better results with this style than with any version of the wooden-base traps.

Bruce

/ Newer style Victor mouse traps. #3  
I whittled up this figure four trap few years ago and like showing it off! It is crazy how flat that 8x8 made them.
20170329_102034.jpg
20170329_102009.jpg
20170330_142818.jpg
20170331_075951.jpg
20170331_075119.jpg
20170405_083820.jpg
20170405_083835.jpg

I tied a piece of pork chop bone/meat in the split of the trigger, they couldn't resist.

/ Newer style Victor mouse traps. #4  
No matter what style of trap U use, Peanut Butter is the best bait.
It sticks to the trigger and they sure like the stuff.
Cheese? won't stick and they can steal it without triggering the trap.

Still like the 5 gal bucket. Just put corn or PB in the bottom and place bucket near a wall or lean a stick one the side to provide them a 'ladder' for access.
I caught many with a simple bucked alongside my stone faced fireplace at my cabin.
LOL, they woke me late at night with all their hopping escape attempts.

/ Newer style Victor mouse traps. #5  
Haven't needed a mouse trap in at least 50 years but remember well catching lots of them in our house in the 50's. If they keep getting the cheese on the trap without triggering it, try tying it to the trigger with some thread. Less messy than peanut butter.

/ Newer style Victor mouse traps. #6  
Gluing a peanut or sunflower seed to the pan works well, also.

/ Newer style Victor mouse traps. #7  
Peanut butter will get you more mold and ants than mice. Here's where I got two mice and a chippie in four days. I might have know I'd have to reset again today already. My bit is to toss sunflower seeds into the back of traps with a plastic spoon. The small traps get mice that would clean out the large ones. Digging into the back of the trap for that last seed puts their body weight on the pan vs leaning over the side to lick peanut butter off it.

This was to be a temporary set location but it produces so well and vermin have peed a path to it as they do. When tidied up and reset there will be five traps laying abreast. Yes I do get crawl offs but tying lanyards is like work compared to emptying and re-baiting which takes < 5 min. Doubles aren't uncommon.

Attachments

• IMG_1954.JPG
    IMG_1954.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 187
Last edited:
   / Newer style Victor mouse traps. #8  
Used the old style Victor traps for close to 30 years? New ones don’t seem to work for me. Discovered the made to kill traps last year, they are amazing! I haven’t had one fire without a catch yet, I’ve tuned the triggers pretty sensitive which is something you can’t do with the new victors. Also the galvanized steel seems to stay a lot cleaner than the wood. I got some of the rat size as well but haven’t tried those yet.

/ Newer style Victor mouse traps. #9  
The mice and rats around here seem to like chocolate as best bait.

/ Newer style Victor mouse traps. #10  
The Victor traps with the yellow plastic pan have a half moon hole that will tightly hold half a peanut or a large sunflower seed...these work best for me...