NEWER TRACTORS vs OLD IRON

/ NEWER TRACTORS vs OLD IRON #21  
Half of that is the want for larger tractors. 1/4 is the change in hp ratings, the last 1/4 is people confusing pto or rated hp with drawbar hp.

People still don't get the difference in pto hp vs drawbar hp. You using tillage tools would realize that you're probably talking about tractors with the same drawbar hp.

Glad someone touched on this ....What we used to pull with "100"hp 20 years ago you will see world wide now needs "140 hp" Like our 1980's artic tractors of 310-350 have always pulled 40ft chisel ploughs yet today 450hp quad tracks are pulling the same tillers.

/ NEWER TRACTORS vs OLD IRON #22  
Half of that is the want for larger tractors. 1/4 is the change in hp ratings, the last 1/4 is people confusing pto or rated hp with drawbar hp.

People still don't get the difference in pto hp vs drawbar hp. You using tillage tools would realize that you're probably talking about tractors with the same drawbar hp.

No i always use engine HP as these big tractors have no PTO and Drawbar HP is a term i havent heard of for decades

/ NEWER TRACTORS vs OLD IRON #23  
Most of my tractor driving experience came from what I would call old iron units...
I started out on a WD 45 Allis coupled with a Super A Farmall and an M and H Farmall...
We thought that we had hit the lottery when dad brought home our first D-17 with POWER STEERING...
Man, what a luxury...
Those old units were over built...
Lower rpm's and slower speeds matched to gearing that allowed them to pull more than should be expected...
I remember plowing at night in the fall with our old D-17's...
We had 3-16" plows behind them and at night the mufflers and manifolds would turn rosy red...
Those power crater engines were sure tough...
We've still got those 17's in the shed with a 180, 8050, cub low boy, and a really nice Ford 800 that has loaded thousands of round bales of hay...

It is yet to be seen if the newer generation of tractors will be as venerable as the older iron...

I do remember dad telling me that Allis submitted to the Nebraska tests for fuel efficiency and horsepower numbers for their tractors...
When they got new units in the shop they would dyno more than the stated HP for their particular tractors...
Allis set their hp based on a dyno run for a specific period of time...
On short runs they always tested higher than what they rated them at...
I don't know how true that is for units produced today...

/ NEWER TRACTORS vs OLD IRON #24  
I started for Allis-Chalmers in 1967. Tractors shipped to Nebraska for the official tests were "detuned" because we did not want anything under that heading "Repairs". Also if your official tractor put out 110 PTO HP and a customer got one that only dynoed 100, could he demand a new tractor? Lots of tales about how much 190XT's really put out compared to rating, but then you also heard of the power train parts scattered across the countryside until we came out with the Series II. Still took until the next models to get it right and then we went bankrupt.