NH Engines

/ NH Engines #1  

kwright

Tractor
NH TC21D Boomer w/60
I'm new to this forum... and I'm looking at a TC21D. The NH dealer told me the name of engine manufacturer, but I'm not familar with the company and had never heard of them.

Can anyone share with me their preception of or the general reputation of the engine builder or the Boomer engines?

Thanks...

/ NH Engines #3  
Shibauru has made NH/Ford engines since the late seventies, I believe. They have definately been around awhile. My dealer said they are also used in skid-steers, I dont know which brand, but I assumed NH.

/ NH Engines #4  
kwright,

I have owned a TC18 for almost a year now and it is a well built powerful machine. The engine in mine is more economy level than the one in the TC21D and it runs smoothly and starts easily. The TC21D has Quick Heat Glow Plugs where mine has conventional. The only smoke from my engine is a puff on start up which is about normal for diesels from what I've read here.

I moved up from a 16 hp gas garden tractor and have been happily amazed at what an 18.5 hp diesel engine can do. This is my first diesel, first "tractor", and I have not been dissappointed. New Holland has been around a long time and is a reputable company. The Japanese diesels are the most respected engines you'll find in compact tractors.

Good Luck, JimBinMI

We boys and our toys!

/ NH Engines
Thanks for the info regarding the NH engine, folks.

On another note, I'm also debating the merits of a 54" side discharge finish mower vs the 60" rear discharge.

Frankly the rear discharge option appeals to me as one can mow tight on both sides. I probably don't really need a 60" mower, but it won't likely be a liability either (outside of the initial additional cost).

Any comments or suggestions?

/ NH Engines #6  
kwright,

On my TC18, I use a Woods 60" rear discharge 3 point mower. You're right about a rear discharge being able to mow tight on both sides, it works great. I know that you're talking about a belly mower, but the benefits would be the same as far as close in mowing. The only disadvantage for you would be, I think, not being able to add a bagger if you want to, I don't think you can to a rear discharge as far as I know.

I mow about 2 1/2 - 3 acres and really like the 60" cut. I moved up from a 48" cut on a garden tractor and it really makes a difference.

If you want to know the pro's and con't of a 3 pt. mower vs a belly mower, just let me know.

Good Luck, JimBinMI

We boys and our toys!