NH parts price gouging

/ NH parts price gouging #1  

Mackle

Tractor
NH Boomer 35
A cautionary tale about NH parts prices:

I have a 2014 Boomer 35 with a 4 cylinder Mitsubishi engine. The starter went bad and I called my local NH dealer for a replacement. He wanted over $1,800 for the motor and solenoid from NH. I did some research on the engine and other starter options and found the same starter on, of all places, Walmart.com (also on Amazon) for $172, delivered. I was really irritated that NH chose to exploit its captive owner's base and I will not buy NH parts ever again. I just wanted you all to know how much NH charges for something that you can get much cheaper if you do some homework.

/ NH parts price gouging #2  

I have a 2014 Boomer 35 with a 4 cylinder Mitsubishi engine. The starter went bad and I called my local NH dealer for a replacement. He wanted over $1,800 for the motor and solenoid from NH. I did some research on the engine and other starter options and found the same starter on, of all places, Walmart.com (also on Amazon) for $172, delivered. I was really irritated that NH chose to exploit its captive owner's base and I will not buy NH parts ever again. I just wanted you all to know how much NH charges for something that you can get much cheaper if you do some homework.

Shopping around pays off.

/ NH parts price gouging #3  

ebay is a great place to shop too. I have had almost 100% luck in getting small part wearout things on my 7 tractors dating from 1965 to 2021. 25-84 HP.

/ NH parts price gouging #4  
That is insane pricing. My NH dealer pricing I think is pretty competitive. They always price me new or to have it rebuilt. I have had 1 starter and 1 alternator rebuilt thru them and it was about $180 for each. It was generally half the cost of a new one.

/ NH parts price gouging #5  

I hope you brought this to the attention of that dealer.

/ NH parts price gouging #6  
Your comparing factory parts to cheap aftermarket parts..its like that in nearly every industry.

/ NH parts price gouging #7  
Your comparing factory parts to cheap aftermarket parts..its like that in nearly every industry.
It is all about the $1,600 blue paint job on the starter motor (or orange, or green, or yellow, or whatever your color of choice is).

The NH tractor has a Mitsubishi S4L2 engine in it. And undoubtedly the starter comes with that engine. Thus, it is rather easy to find a starter for a common industrial engine. Of course Mitsubishi likely also contracts out the starter motor manufacture too.

One can also purchase rebuilt starters and alternators for many engines which are likely just about as good as new.

/ NH parts price gouging #8  
A couple of years ago, I went to the local NH dealer for 2 oil filters for my LS tractor. Didn’t think to check out the price until I got home, $90 for the 2 filters.

I retuned them, and drove the 20 miles to the LS dealer, $6.90 each.
Haven't been back to the NH since, nice guys, but way too expensive for me.

/ NH parts price gouging #9  
I think all brands have some obscene pricing for parts at their dealerships. If you can find it on Ebay, or someplace like that, then you're good to go.

My New Holland Construction Dealer has some great guys at the parts counter. They know how stupid their prices are and they told me where their mechanics go to get the parts for some of their repairs. A kit to do a cylinder can be over $300 for just all the parts that are needed because they include parts for dozens of different cylinders. Most of what you pay for, you throw away. The Mechanics there send their cylinders to a Cylinder Shop that just buys the exact parts needed and then does all the work to rebuild the cylinder. Usually it's around $100 for parts and labor. Same thing with hoses, they Parts guys told me where to go to get them made for a quarter the price of buying new ones from there.

/ NH parts price gouging #10  
That is insane pricing. My NH dealer pricing I think is pretty competitive. They always price me new or to have it rebuilt. I have had 1 starter and 1 alternator rebuilt thru them and it was about $180 for each. It was generally half the cost of a new one.

I recently rebuilt the front end loader cylinders on NH 2120 with FEL 7309.

The cylinder kits from the NH dealer are $175 for the bucket cyl and $299 for the lift cyl.
When I spoke to the fella on the parts 'hotline' and mentioned that this was taking advantage of their customers, he assured me that it wasn't like that and that they get the prices from NH and cant do anything about it. I suggested that they could build up the kits by buying in bulk from the seal companies but as a dealer he couldn't do that . I had to go to ebay for about half that price , for about $25 in seals .