NH TC33D vs. Stump

/ NH TC33D vs. Stump #1  

Spencer

Veteran Member
Tractor
NH TC33D w/R4 Tires, Rear Remote, Hydraulic Toplink, 2 Auxiliary Work Lights, 7308 Loader w/Kasco Uni-Hitch (Quick Tach)
The stump fought long and hard but in the end it gave up. It won the battle with my bucket but could not defend itself against my mighty forks. There were three 4 inch trees all growing together out of the same stump. I had no idea what I was in for. I am not even going to try the bucket on the remaining stumps I will just use my forks. I'm learning.

Spence

Attachments

• 33-119779-Stump.jpg
    33-119779-Stump.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 750
   / NH TC33D vs. Stump #2  
Whoa!!!!!!!!!!!! You dug that out with forks? I thought that was only possible with a BH. Cliff

/ NH TC33D vs. Stump #3  
You got a nice setup there..pop the stumps than back blade it he hole end.

/ NH TC33D vs. Stump #4  
I think that stump had a near encounter with an excavator. The original tree stump had to be something in the 15 to 24" range which would give a modern full sized backhoe something to think about! I sense somebody in a derby hat holding a flashpan above his head! Now had he staged some weight on the back of the tractor, or even some tire chains, this may have flown! Besides, what did you break while working the stump? SteveV

/ NH TC33D vs. Stump #5  
I find that picture a little hard to believe. /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif

This weekend I started a job clearing about 1/2 an acre of woods to extend a camping area not far from my home. There were several single trees about that diameter that I pulled over with my winch, I did not even try to push them over with the FEL. The root system on those hard wood, maple and ash was no where as large as the one in the picture, and I know how hard they were to up-root.

Several years ago I had several stumps much like the clump you show dug out by a large Case backhoe. I know how hard he had to work to pop those guys out of the ground a smaller machine would not have done the job.

I guess I need to get me some of those super forks like you got. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ NH TC33D vs. Stump
Hey now everybody, I worked hard on this stump. You should have seen the joy on my face when I broke it loose. It took me another 5 minutes just to get it out of the hole. I worked on it for about 2 hours with my bucket back in January. I had the forks on yesterday to move some other stuff around and I thought I would give them a try on the stump. It took me another hour with the forks to get it out. By the way I found that I have the most power when curling down not curling up. I stick the fork under a root, then move the tractor slightly forward as I am curling the forks down.

Here is a pic I made my wife take of me and the stump. Unfortunately this is all the higher my TC33D could lift the stump.

Spence

Attachments

• 33-119924-Me_And_Stump.jpg
    33-119924-Me_And_Stump.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 518
   / NH TC33D vs. Stump
I sense somebody in a derby hat holding a flashpan above his head!

Not sure what that means. I had my Bush Hog rear blade on back and two sets of rear wheel weights. If you look at my front tires in the second picture you can see they are under extreme pressure. I was worried they might break the bead. The original tree stump was just three trees all grow
ing out of the same stump. They were all about 4" to 5" around. I broke one of them off in January when I was using the bucket. I couldn't believe the mass of this thing. I had dug out a 9" stump in January that was easier than this. That is also why I got the rear wheel weights. When I picked up the 9" stump with my forks to move it my rear end was lifting off the gound.

I guess I had quite an accomplishement here if none of you believe that I was able to do it.

Spence

Attachments

• 33-119926-Stump_On_Forks.jpg
    33-119926-Stump_On_Forks.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 360
   / NH TC33D vs. Stump #8  
OK, you've describe a possible technique for breaking roots; the combination of lever arm and the forward motion is pretty powerful, however the tip of the fork would have to be on something pretty solid to break 2" + roots. Using that technique would be a real test of the steel used to make the forks! SteveV

/ NH TC33D vs. Stump #9  
Very impressive/w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif. Do my eyes deceive me, or are the front tires pretty much flat with that load you've got there?

Oops! Should have read the posts farther along!/w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif

/ NH TC33D vs. Stump #10  
I'm sorry I doubted your tractor's ability to accomplish this truly amasing feat./w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif I wish you included a picture of the cavity from which it came. I have had more experience than I needed removing stumps to make a pasture with only a shovel and a handy man's jack.

You have the right to be proud of what you did /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif. I watched a much larger machine struggle removing stuff about that size.

Randy