NO automatic payments!

/ NO automatic payments! #1  

Jstpssng

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota L3301
Am I the only one who doesn't allow these? I have done so in the past with disastrous results... on one occasion I had to close out my checking account to stop them. That was years ago yet it now seems to be normal... I still can't bring myself to do it.
I would rather pay a year in advance than give somebody unlimited access to my finances.
Among other things I have to wonder how many people are paying for "services" they stopped using long ago. Granted that's their fault for not paying attention to their statements, yet still isn't right.
I've even had "exit questionaires" with that as one of the questions. Sirius for one, yet they still haven't done away with it, despite trying to get me back for the last 3 years.
I signed up for access to the local newspaper, not realizing I was agreeing to automatic withdrawals. It turns out that what they consider "news" is mostly opinion, and I get better local news from my MSN news feed. Go figure...

/ NO automatic payments! #2  
The USPS is cahoots with corporate America...the latter is trying to force us into as much of a paperless world as possible and the USPS is helping them...
Some time last year the USPS announced that first class mail would not be delivered as quickly as we have/had been used to...
...Now days...if you don't get a check off the day you get most bills...it wont get delivered in time to prevent a late fee...
...I have resorted to paying bills via e-check on a monthly basis...I learned my lesson about automatic payments from a checking account...

On an O/T side note...I recently mailed (10/6) a b-day card with a $50 gift card in a first class mailer (so I could track it) to Ocala FL......From N.GA it went to Atlanta, then to Jacksonville FL (10/9) (2 hrs to destination)...all kosher...Then it was in Lubbock TX...then Amarillo TX (10/12)...Didn't hear (tracking) from it again until (10/20) and it was "out for delivery"...!

/ NO automatic payments! #3  
Yep, another cell phone bill late do to USPS.

/ NO automatic payments! #4  
I haven't had any bad experiences, but I'm also very reluctant to allow automatic payments. I have used sort of a sacrificial checking account that contains just enough money to pay the bills.

We received a lower interest rate on our mortgage by allowing automatic payments, and my horse vet offers a 5% discount for automatic payments. I have never used them just so I don't have to bother paying a monthly bill.

/ NO automatic payments! #5  
I do not allow automatic payments. The companies will change the charges and not notify you. Pretty soon you’re paying three or four more dollars per month and nobody was the wiser.

I drive a hot shot truck and many of the brokers want to pay with ACH payment. The problem I have is the agreement you sign to allow the ACH payment also gives them the right to take money from your account. This is a no go for me. Many of the brokers started to charge a fee of up to $25 for a paper check. The only solution I found was to have an account set up only for deposits. As soon as the deposit is made into that account I transfer it to another account. That way if somebody tries to take money out the balance is zero.

I ask at my credit union and several banks about an account that will only allow deposits from an ACH. They all told me there was no way to stop the depositor from taking back the money.

/ NO automatic payments! #6  
I use the automatic payments for gas and electric utilities. It's convenient and works well. I also use it for the credit card I have with my bank. I don't use it for other credit cards and cable and cell phone bills because I'm not so comfortable with them having access.

/ NO automatic payments!
I do not allow automatic payments. The companies will change the charges and not notify you. Pretty soon you’re paying three or four more dollars per month and nobody was the wiser.

I drive a hot shot truck and many of the brokers want to pay with ACH payment. The problem I have is the agreement you sign to allow the ACH payment also gives them the right to take money from your account. This is a no go for me. Many of the brokers started to charge a fee of up to $25 for a paper check. The only solution I found was to have an account set up only for deposits. As soon as the deposit is made into that account I transfer it to another account. That way if somebody tries to take money out the balance is zero.

I ask at my credit union and several banks about an account that will only allow deposits from an ACH. They all told me there was no way to stop the depositor from taking back the money.
Years ago I allowed an automatic monthly withdrawal. Although the terms and dates were specifically set out, they did it when they wanted to instead, and cost me several hundred dollars in overdraft fees. Then I ended up sueing them for non-performance... I eventually got my money back but they had it, interest free for about 4 years. That's AFTER covering the overdraft fees, plus cost and hassle of closing that account and opening another as noted above.

/ NO automatic payments! #8  
I use it for my mortgage only. It's an interbank payment so it's pretty safe. And I authorize an additional 1k payment each month against the remaining principle which is going down nicely :cool:

/ NO automatic payments!
I use it for my mortgage only. It's an interbank payment so it's pretty safe. And I authorize an additional 1k payment each month against the remaining principle which is going down nicely :cool:
I tried that with my CU for a while, as they hold my mortgage as well as the checking account where my paycheck goes, and all of my bills are paid from. First, I don't like waiting until the bill is due before paying it; rather, I generally pay about 10 days in advance. Every month I would keep checking to make sure the payment was taken out.
Then I started trying to prepay a bit every month... that didn't work very well. It turns out that any extra I put in goes toward my escrow rather than the principal. That's stupid for two reasons... every year they send me a refund check for a bit over a month's payment into my escrow. They also end up charging me more for interest than if it had been applied toward the principal.

/ NO automatic payments! #10  
Well - I'm having a different experience with B of A. I set the payment date. I set a notification over $x amount so I get an email each time they take it. $1k is really applied to the principle. Been doing it for a few yrs. I'm on the back end of our mortgage so an extra 12k annually is making the free and clear date look closer and closer.