No coyote's, stupid raccoons...

/ No coyote's, stupid raccoons... #1  

BTDT

Veteran Member
Tractor
IH M Farmall-propane powered, H Farmall (father-in-laws), Ford 1300 diesel
I have put a couple of live chickens in a cage hanging from a tree to try to lure in some varmints for my game cam. All I get so far are raccoons.

Attachments

• Racoon and chick pen 001.jpg
    Racoon and chick pen 001.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 535
  • Racoon and chick pen 002.jpg
    Racoon and chick pen 002.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 356
  • Racoon and chick pen 003.jpg
    Racoon and chick pen 003.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 313
  • Racoon and chick pen 004.jpg
    Racoon and chick pen 004.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 280
  • Racoon and chick pen 005.jpg
    Racoon and chick pen 005.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 368
   / No coyote's, stupid raccoons... #2  
BTDT, maybe try some fresh roadkill or scatter some scratch or whole corn, I think that will give you a far wider variety of critters and varmits at your game cam. I'd stake it down and you should get some good shots of who knows what???

Sincerely,
Dirt

/ No coyote's, stupid raccoons...
dirtworksequip said:
BTDT, maybe try some fresh roadkill or scatter some scratch or whole corn, I think that will give you a far wider variety of critters and varmits at your game cam. I'd stake it down and you should get some good shots of who knows what???

Sincerely,
Dirt
That's what I was using to begin with, just deer corn. All coons. Then came the chicken in a cage idea. Coons still show up, they eat the feed the chickens spill. My thinking was that they would make a lot of racket, and draw in something to check out what was there. I'm sure it will happen, just not sure when. Each chicken, a rooster and a hen, have their own end of the cage. Maybe I need to put them in together and see what happens. I'm sure if they were just free ranging in the yard, they would disappear overnight. As for roadkill, the only thing dead on the roads now are skunks!! Maybe I need to switch to rabbits and see what happens.

/ No coyote's, stupid raccoons... #4  
BTDT, if you will pay the shipping I'll send you all the roadkill you want.lol There sure is no shortage of it around here. West Virginia. In fact the state legislation passed a bill a few years ago making it legal to eat roadkill! I think that was mainly aimed at if you hit a deer you could legally take it home for diner.You can even order what species you want and I'll do my best to accomadate you. Heres a pic you might enjoy. He's been hanging around here for a couple of months now. Still just the one no pair yet.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q259/dirtworksequip/BOB.jpg

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q259/dirtworksequip/BOB2.jpg

/ No coyote's, stupid raccoons... #5  
The farmer by me in VT wanted to lure some coyotes int shooting range...he's got a Gen 2 night vision rifle scope on a .223.

He hooked up with the local game warden woh's responsible for disposing of roadkill deer. Before you know it he had 3 deer carcasses and had a couple dead coyotes among them ;-)

/ No coyote's, stupid raccoons... #6  
BTDT:

If you lived in NE all you need is a garbage can or bird feeder filled with bird seed and you will definitely capture some black bear "shots". The bears are coming out of hibernation this time of year. I wish I was awake enough to get my camera yesterday morning as a bear made off with a full 50# bag of black oil sunflower seeds as well as trashing my bird feeders. Jay

/ No coyote's, stupid raccoons... #7  
Now what's that famous line...."I'llll be back" ;)

/ No coyote's, stupid raccoons... #8  
I wish I was awake enough to get my camera yesterday morning as a bear made off with a full 50# bag of black oil sunflower seeds as well as trashing my bird feeders. Jay[/QUOTE said:
Morning Jay.

If you got one bear you know of,than there's a real good chance there's another bear or two standing in the shadows...extra eye out if out and about at dawn.

/ No coyote's, stupid raccoons... #9  
coyotes around here seem to like pizza(dominoes peperoni) dog food, road kill rabbits, and when im desperate wet cat food (real nice smell). rabbits are their favorite, ive thought of doing the same thing with live rabbits but just dont have the time to maintain more animals and the first time the girls figure out why i got them rabbits i would be in deep you know what. here is some pics of this years harvest, i didnt think to take pictures until #4. and for the record they are eating the yard animals in my area so either i shoot them or the blind john wayne next door will empty his clip into the woods trying to get one

workinallthetime - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

/ No coyote's, stupid raccoons...
We've seen them around our place, just no photos yet. I have asked the wife about shooting them, but she thinks they are "cute". We have already had 2 small dogs go missing, but she's still not on board yet.:confused: