No mo' hard drives

/ No mo' hard drives #61  
I destroy the data on a hard drive (not SSD) by taking it apart, bending the platters and I get to keep the strong neodymium magnets inside. Bending the platters causes the oxide layer (that has the data) to flake off, and makes it almost impossible to recover data from.

The bits needed to remove the cover and internal parts are cheap and plentiful nowadays.
Some platters are not made of aluminum, rather they are glass! A bit of a surprise when trying to bend one.
Wear safety glasses! Let's see data recovered from that!

Finally, I have a lifetime supply of strong magnets from all the drives I've sanitized this way.

/ No mo' hard drives #62  
With spinning hard drives it was easy to know you had wiped the drive. The best way I found was to lay down new headers and sectors. This depends on the random event that the head starts to write on the platter. Now do a three pass zero out in those re-established sectors. There is no recovery from this.

/ No mo' hard drives #63  
The only thing I want in the Cloud is me on an airplane headed for warmer weather

/ No mo' hard drives #64  
The only thing I want in the Cloud is me on an airplane headed for warmer weather
Where are your bank account records stored?

/ No mo' hard drives #65  
Finally got my home office set up and realized my Dell with Windows 7 was not going to cut it. Got my son to meet me at Walmart and when with HP notebook/tablet format. With the solid state drive it boots faster than my cell phone. I went the 27" Samsung curved monitor for a second display. Even with extended warranties it was under $1K. My 10 year Dell was more than that. I love having Bluetooth keyboard and bone conduction headphones.

/ No mo' hard drives #67  
My hard drive failed in my Dell all in one after 6 years. I had a computer repair store install a solid state drive for $200. It runs faster now and better than new.
I did the same with the laptop I use for my work. Not something I use everyday, but it's nice to have it boot up quickly when I do need it...it's about 1/2 the time the old drive took. Bonus is that it uses less power so the battery life is better. (y)

/ No mo' hard drives #68  
Most/Many banks, especially large ones, are using IBM mainframes to store and process transactions. The systems are highly secure. In the last couple of generations data is encrypted at all times. In other systems, data is only encrypted at rest, meaning when stored. The latest mainframes encrypt data at rest, when the data is in memory, being processed and when moving among the system components. The cards that provide the keys have been around for decades and are highly protected even if someone managed to get physical access to the cards. If someone tries to tamper with the card, it will self destruct.

Later,
Dan

/ No mo' hard drives #69  
Apples & oranges.
If someone should hack your bank, they're not going to have access to your photos, personal correspondence, tax returns etc. I don't know how secure cloud storage outfits are...they may or may not come clean if there's been a breach but not sure I'd want to put all my eggs in that basket.

I'm not even sure how trustworthy some of these companies are. Do you know Google isn't selling what info it can glean from stuff you're storing there like they do to target ads like they do everywhere else?
I think Apple lets you store your music collection on their servers to access anywhere, but if they flag a song you upload as one they already have, they'll substitute their file copy for yours, even if yours may be different (ie-album version vs radio edit, etc.). I get that they're doing it to maximize server space, but it's still kind of sleazy.

/ No mo' hard drives #70  
Apples & oranges.
If someone should hack your bank, they're not going to have access to your photos, personal correspondence, tax returns etc. I don't know how secure cloud storage outfits are...they may or may not come clean if there's been a breach but not sure I'd want to put all my eggs in that basket.

I'm not even sure how trustworthy some of these companies are. Do you know Google isn't selling what info it can glean from stuff you're storing there like they do to target ads like they do everywhere else?
I think Apple lets you store your music collection on their servers to access anywhere, but if they flag a song you upload as one they already have, they'll substitute their file copy for yours, even if yours may be different (ie-album version vs radio edit, etc.). I get that they're doing it to maximize server space, but it's still kind of sleazy.

Yes, we’re cloud powered​