No Power to solenoid ? Or bad battery

/ No Power to solenoid ? Or bad battery #1  

case580c

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota M5140 Case 580C, Case 450C, Case 850B John Deere 350C, Kubota L185, Kubota L245H,
lx178 john deere mower with Kawasaki 2 cylinder FD440V motor.

I went to start mower this morning turned key to the start position, I was sitting on seat, with my foot pressing down on the brake pedal and the PTO clutch was disengaged. Turned key all sounded normal sound of starter solenoid engaging, the starter may have even started to turn over engine but ever so briefly (now 9 hrs later can稚 be sure). Then I heard the sound of a bad connection. I thought a loose connection just wiggle the terminal and get it started before the on coming rain and clean and re-tighten later. Well I found the positive cable at the battery terminal was corroded so that there was only about 3/16 to 1/8 inch left of the ring terminal. There was also a smaller wire and the larger starter wire attached to the ring terminal. I assume the small wire is to the key switch and power the dash lights. I cut the corroded terminal off, cleaned everything up and attached a new ring terminal to the ends of each wire reattached both wires back to the Positive terminal. Figured I could get back to cutting my tall grass. WRONG it would not start, it did not even engage the solenoid all I hear is a sound coming from the underside of the dash when I place the key in the start position, again with me sitting on seat, foot pressing down on the brake pedal and the PTO clutch was disengaged position. The sound is not quite a vibration and kinda of a slight buzz I felt around the area with the key in start position to see if I could feel the part that the noise was coming from, closest I could figure is it was coming from the key switch or near by it. I broke for dinner and will deal with it tomorrow morning if it is not raining. Just hoping someone may have a clue for me. As I think about it, it may be a dead battery even thought all sounded OK when I first tried to start it as it did slam the solenoid in. Being the battery had been sitting through the winter it was around 63 degrees today (I did charge it up about 3 months ago)
I did place my small charger on it while I was repairing terminals I noted the charger at first was charging at a HIGH RATE and usually when the battery reach痴 a full charged state, the charging rate is about 2 amp. But I noticed the charger was now charging at zero, as if it had a bad connection, I wiggled the charger clips and plugged in the charger and the charge indicator was still at zero. That痴 now making me think it is a battery problem. I will throw a jumper battery on it tomorrow morning to see it that does the trick. I just wanted to cut my tall grass before it rained I might have to pull out the walk behind Toro. I am to old to enjoy that. Appreciate any idea痴 and or suggestions.

/ No Power to solenoid ? Or bad battery #2  
Good morning!
From your description, I would also suspect the battery and make a move to get it load tested, or just go with a new battery (if more than three years on this one). Sounds like you have covered the right things to rule out seat switch, PTO, and brake pedal.
These days, don't know how simple getting a battery load tested or even buying a new one might be.. Wish you good luck there.

Meantime, the grass isn't taking a COVID break.. yours just keeps growing. A ways away from those days here in WI.. might even have some snow come daylight.

/ No Power to solenoid ? Or bad battery #3  
One other thing to note is that maybe the starter began to engage when all this started and now the starter gear is caught in the flywheel gear. Rocking the crank back an forth will allow the gear to retract if this is the case. LX's are aged enough to have brittle harnesses and corroded terminals as you have found. Brake and PTO switches are in the crank circuit, so servicing the terminals at these and at the ignition switch is a good idea. But yes, get that battery load tested.

/ No Power to solenoid ? Or bad battery
Thanks guys, and be safe, next project getting my Victory garden going

/ No Power to solenoid ? Or bad battery
OK I found the problem, It just needed a new battery, It took me a while to get back to it, First thing I did was use jumper cables from an old battery (it was apparently a near dead battery but it did give enough that I heard the solenoid bump as I did the first time I originally tried to start is So bought a new battery which it would need anyway. Crossed my fingers and it started. Simple fix! basic maintance. I still don't know what that sound I heard "all I hear is a sound coming from the underside of the dash when I placed the key in the start position, The sound is not quite a vibration and kinda of a slight buzz " ????????????

/ No Power to solenoid ? Or bad battery #6  
OK I found the problem, It just needed a new battery, It took me a while to get back to it, First thing I did was use jumper cables from an old battery (it was apparently a near dead battery but it did give enough that I heard the solenoid bump as I did the first time I originally tried to start is So bought a new battery which it would need anyway. Crossed my fingers and it started. Simple fix! basic maintance. I still don't know what that sound I heard "all I hear is a sound coming from the underside of the dash when I placed the key in the start position, The sound is not quite a vibration and kinda of a slight buzz " ????????????

Don't know for sure, but most machines use a relay in the starter circuit. I suspect that it was the relay trying to pull in.

Glad your back in business.

Richard