Tractor
WM 25
Tractor: 2019 workmaster 25
125 hours
well kept but new to me 10 hours ago

It sat for a week outside. Warm and dry weather
I Re-fueled it with fresh diesel
Started right up. Running well
Used rear PTO Mower and used grapple x 45 mins — no issues Went through some brush . nothing crazy.

While running, I sat up and off the seat for 10 secs while rear PTO on, making a gentle turn, and the tractor turned itself off.
Wouldn’t re start. I turned off rear Pto
No crank, no start

Goes to ignition on. Fuel pump on audibly. Dash lights on. I turn the key to start and I can hear a relay under dash click, next to the controller.

Ran through owner's manual trouble shooting list

Charged battery via jump starter battery-- no change. 12 V with meter not under load.
Cleaned and visually inspected battery terminals (ground was slightly loose and dirty) -- no change
Checked all connections of seat safety switch, HST switch visually. jumped safety seat switch. no change.

Made sure mid PTO leveler is off. Rear PTO off (dash light confirms)

Cleaned connection to starter solenoid

Visually inspected main fuse and fuse box and pulled each fuse.
Visually inspected wiring. Can’t see any wire damage to harness

Took apart dash. Ignition switch appears normal. When I do go to start, glow plug light does turn off which makes me think that the ignition works ok and since the relay clicks

checked oil, hydraulic and coolant levels. All normal.

While ignition on, HST on Neutral, I connected and jump solenoid of the starter. Start turned but didn’t seem to engage or crank engine

Next steps?
I was going to get a multi meter out but don’t know quite where to start. make sure starter solenoid is working?
What do you guys make of the shut off while getting off of the seat? it usually would idle fine and just beep at me when I did this before.

Thanks in advance. I tried looking through the older new start threads but couldn't find one with similar circumstances.

There are also two orphan appearing connectors under the dash. normal or cause for alarm?

IMG_4587.JPG
IMG_4586.JPG

/ no start, no crank Workmaster 25 #2  
Did you double check all the safety switches? I am assuming it is an HST... did you check the switch on the HST pedals? You said "visually checked".... need to physically check to make sure.

No electronics on your tractor correct? If not, then it's a 'continuity' problem.... something isn't making the proper connection. Check the pathways of the ignition circuit.

The tractor is the larger Workmaster 25 correct? .... not the 25-S SCUT.
Do you have a service manual?

/ no start, no crank Workmaster 25 #3  
Not sure about the open plugs under the dash.... I do know that there are a few unused plugs there... one is for a horn, can't remember what the other is for. It is possible that something got disconnected though.

Hope you can figure it out.

/ no start, no crank Workmaster 25 #4  
It sounds like a safety is not being satisfied. Since it quit when you left the seat make sure the seat safety switch is working properly. Do this with a meter not visually. With my Kubota I must remember to depress the clutch before the starter will engage. If you have an HST transmission be sure it's in a neutral configuration, neither forward or back. Do you need to shift into neutral to activate the starter? Some tractors do.

/ no start, no crank Workmaster 25 #5  
So I'm not real familiar with the Workmaster 25 but if it is like many other NH's the seat switch and the parking brake switch will not stop the engine from turning over. They just cause the fuel solenoid to shut off, so being it is not even turning over I would first look at the Neutral Safety Switch & the PTO Safety Switch. They will cause a NO Crank scenario.

If I read it correctly you went through some light brush... if the Workmaster is like some of the other NH's the wires to the Neutral Safety Switch might have come disconnected under the operator platform... I would try & look there first.

/ no start, no crank Workmaster 25
So good news, it was the mid PTO lever. Despite trying it twice before, I tried it again and just pushed in it even more with full force of my weight and it work. tractor started right up. Only took about 6 hours of work and reading over a week.

Yes, it is the larger WM 25.

Thanks for your guys' help.

/ no start, no crank Workmaster 25 #7  
So good news, it was the mid PTO lever. Despite trying it twice before, I tried it again and just pushed in it even more with full force of my weight and it work. tractor started right up. Only took about 6 hours of work and reading over a week.

Its always nice to hear what the issue was, glad you are back up and running, thanks for the update.

Sometimes its always the simple things and it sounds like your PTO linkages might need some lubrication.

/ no start, no crank Workmaster 25 #8  
Charged battery via jump starter battery-- no change. 12 V with meter not under load.
replace the starting battery, it's had it. Batteries under no load should indicate 12.5-13.5 volts static. When you replace the battery, clean the battery clamps and the battery posts (HF sells a dandy post and terminal cleaner for 4 bucks). Forget the jump battery scenario too. Get a new one and trickle charge the new one at least overnight at 1-2 amps and the install it. Clean posts and clamps are a necessity and apply some di-electric grease to the posts to keep them from oxidizing (and causing high resistance) in the future.

Battery failure can happens suddenly or over time depending on how much it's jostled around. Sounds to me like you have a plate sulfation issue.

So you got it running, the starting battery has still run it's useful lifespan...replace it.

/ no start, no crank Workmaster 25 #9  

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!! had the exact same issue and this saved me calling in the dealer for help.... I will add that the issue more precisely is the contact switch associated with the lever... on mine the contact switch (activated by a tab on the lever) is flaky and thus intermitent. I can make the issue come and go just by slightly pressing the level to the side.... later I'll either replace the switch of maybe just adjust it so the trigger is more sure. THANKS AGAIN!!

/ no start, no crank Workmaster 25 #10  
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!! had the exact same issue and this saved me calling in the dealer for help.... I will add that the issue more precisely is the contact switch associated with the lever... on mine the contact switch (activated by a tab on the lever) is flaky and thus intermitent. I can make the issue come and go just by slightly pressing the level to the side.... later I'll either replace the switch of maybe just adjust it so the trigger is more sure. THANKS AGAIN!!

It's always great when the problem is simple!