No Welding Table?.... Improvise.

/ No Welding Table?.... Improvise. #31  
My last weld was the box blade so that wasn't going on a table. But before that I used an old steel table top on saw horses. When I get around to it I'll reinforce that table top, add legs and a vise. Bending over and crouching next to that box blade made my legs and back ache.

The sanding stand I made on the table was nice. Sitting comfortable. I used an old truck brake rotor as the base.

A box blade would do fine on the motorbike lift table! ;-)

The one I have starts about 4 inches off the floor and lifts to about 4 feet. ;-)

jess braggin ;-)

/ No Welding Table?.... Improvise. #32  
No real welding table - just a 2 X 3 work cart. But I have a big air conditioned shop.

P1010143(1).JPG

gg

/ No Welding Table?.... Improvise. #33  
For years I used a pair of wood sawhorses and the old angle iron ramps from my old trailer. They were dangerous/failing and heavy so I replaced them with new alum ramps, and repurposed the old ones. Nothing was flat or even, and pretty impossible to clamp much to it, but it got me by for quite a while. I can understand how many people never get past something like that, especially if the need is very rare.

When I eventually moved into my new place with a big shop I built a table that was based on an old steel angle iron table I picked up cheap. Here is the old table already partly cut apart and getting ready for the 2" x 1/4" tube legs I added.

Weld table before (Large).jpg

I had the frame powder coated. The top is 8 foot by about 28-30" wide 1/4". I put receivers on it to hold a vise and a ring roller and whatever else I came up with. Here is a shot of it all done.

Weld table (1) (Large).jpg

The width was limited as I needed it to fit between my tractor and truck in the shop "garage". So I put 3 receivers on one side and made a set of "extensions" I could put in there to give me a bigger working surface when needed.

weld table complete (2) (Large).jpg

weld table complete (5) (Large).jpg

I just store the extension below when not needed so I can park the truck there. 3 pieces go into the receivers and then I have plates that drop in between and a couple flat head screws to hold them in place.

Weld table extensions (Large).jpg

I would like to add some more hangers for clamps and such as they are all sitting on the shelf and it is a bit of a mess and everything falls off when grabbing them right now. I might do some brackets and bolt it onto the open side legs.

/ No Welding Table?.... Improvise. #34  
I bided my time welding on expanded mesh tables that I got cheap off of craig's list while looking for a good deal on something better. The expanded mesh table was a good strategy and while I also got a bunch of expanded mesh rocking chairs that will last forever, I hit the jackpot when I got a one-off welding-fabrication table for cheap at auction.

/ No Welding Table?.... Improvise. #35  
I have made two low budget garage helpers. Since the space is very limited both are narrow and easy to carry over them to put wherever it's needed. Welding is usually done outdoors to avoid toxic gases or grinding dust. I use them also for woodwork. You may see more about it in the following video.

20201124_135901.jpg

20201003_115348.jpg

20200922_174434.jpg

20201123_150728.jpg

Last edited:
   / No Welding Table?.... Improvise. #36  
Lots of good repurposed materials for welding tables. I have a big 4x8 1/2” sheet on heavy legs that mainly stays outside, I can bring it in with forks when I need a big work table. I repurposed some catch basin grates and some heavy wall steel pipe to make a small table for plasma cutting and welding. Would like to add some casters some day….

Attachments

• 1DDB638C-2C39-415F-8F64-AF4FD2832961.jpeg
    1DDB638C-2C39-415F-8F64-AF4FD2832961.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 113
  • 313A3B0B-8088-4B8E-B6E5-9504AB9DD0CE.jpeg
    313A3B0B-8088-4B8E-B6E5-9504AB9DD0CE.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 127
   / No Welding Table?.... Improvise. #37  
I have made two low budget garage helpers. Since the space is very limited both are narrow and easy to carry over them to put wherever it's needed. Welding is usually done outdoors to avoid toxic gases or grinding dust. I use them also for woodwork. You may see more about it in the following video.

View attachment 726692

View attachment 726693

View attachment 726694

View attachment 726695

I liked your welding table and shelves video as well as your SMG video!

/ No Welding Table?.... Improvise. #38  
I liked your welding table and shelves video as well as your SMG video!
Thanks for the rating. At the time, our country was in quarantine, so each had an opportunity to make the use of that time somehow. As for SMG, this was almost the most important job in my life in general. Unfortunately it didn’t have a prospect.

/ No Welding Table?.... Improvise. #39  
Welding table made from scrap.

A friend gave me free scrap from a larger auction win. Five 13" x 6.5" panels. I think they were related to TV wall mounts. Plus a column with plates on each end. I welded the panels together for the table top. The foundation is an old tractor wheel.

The holes in the tabletop are handy for clamping work down using c-clamps.

To reduce fire hazard in my ancient shop - a barn stall - I generally weld outside in front, and use flux core. Everything has to be portable. (But a cold damp winter day in this photo so I'm more inside than usual).

This table, and a vise bolted onto a portable grinder pedestal, have been all I've ever needed for welding things I can lift. Lots pleasanter than working on the floor!

IMG-20201129-WA0001rWeldingTable.jpg

We need a thread about projects made with free scrap. I was given incomplete exercise equipment left behind by a tenant. The parts have been the basis for several projects.

/ No Welding Table?.... Improvise.
Finally don't have to improvise....

weld-table-jpg.733397