Noise levels

/ Noise levels #1  

XavierPT

Tractor
PT - 1445
How has everyone's experience been how load the PT-1445 is? It looks like the engine compartment is quite exposed. Would it be possible to add a silencer/muffler to reduce noise levels?

/ Noise levels #2  
You have to use ear protection, period. The engine noise comes out of the cylinder area and is common with all non-water cooled diesels. The Deutz being oil cooled doesn't have the thick water jackets surrounding the cylinders that absorbs noise. The engine compartments are mostly open to allow airflow to cool all the components. PT doesn't seem to do the engineering on noise abatement other late model machines have.
One thing is that the engine gets a bit quieter after it warms up. When cold the timing advance makes it louder.

You could try to blanket the inside of the engine compartment with sound absorbing material and put a deflector on the hyd oil cooling fan to direct air flow and noise to the rear. Just don't block any air ducts/passeages. When done, I still think you will need hearing protection.

/ Noise levels #3  
As mentioned, you should be wearing hearing protection. Otherwise, you'll soon have hearing problems.

I have a pair of noise canceling headphones that are remarkable for mowing or tractor use. I listen to my phone-stored music when outdoors. The problem with the NC headphones is battery usage. They are power hungry in that mode but even with ANC turned off still block more noise than the 3M headset I have. I still use the 3M occasionally because it has an AM/FM radio. I'm a little hard of hearing and have tinnitus on top of that. Tinny and banging sounds of metal or engine noise hurt my ears to the point of a migraine. I have to wear something--I might as well enjoy it. :cool:

/ Noise levels #4  
You need hearing protection, though I would say that of any open tractor. I agree with @m5040 that the noise comes from all over, not just the exhaust.

A pair of Howard Leight L3 over the ear muffs (NRR 30) live on my hydraulic control. I am wearing them before starting the engine. I prefer the high visibility ones, having put a pair on a wheel during servicing and then driven over them without noticing, or intending to...:rolleyes:

I love my 1445. It makes all sorts of tasks possible.

All the best,

Peter

/ Noise levels #5  
I haven't been wearing hearing protection. Thnks for bringing this up. Going to get some.

/ Noise levels #6  
By the way, welcome to TBN!

What part of the country are you in?

All the best,

Peter

/ Noise levels #7  
A little hint on hearing protection - it's only good if it's handy.
I've been using over the ear muffs rated 30 dB NRR or better since about 1980 when around "noise". Lawnmowers, chainsaws, etc.
But I like to listen to radio etc.
So at first I just jammed the earbuds into the foam in the muffs. And had the earbud wire hanging, usually with the device in my cargo pants pocket.
I've tried many pairs of muffs with radios etc. built in. All failed after a year or so. I've gone through 3 pairs of the 3M Workmates.
One of my BIG problems with all the "muffs with sound" is that they are relatively expensive. Multiple pairs even more so.
Now I just keep a small pair of BT earbuds that are paired with my phone. And I've about 6 pairs of "muffs" around. One for each tractor, one for the lawnmower, one for the LT10 sawmill, one w/ my chainsaws and one so I don't have to listen to whatever my wife has on TV. The BT earbuds fit inside my ear and the muffs fit over.

So I have the muffs scattered around and they are always handy, and I carry the buds and my phone in my pocket.

Last edited:
   / Noise levels #8  
Exactly. I have hearing protection, eye protection scattered all around where i might need it. The ear plugs are a good idea, i need to pick up a box of those too.

/ Noise levels #9  
I really like 3M worktunes. They connect to my phone via bluetooth and I can listen to whatever I want. It's easy to hear the audio over a 1430.

/ Noise levels #10  
...And I've about 6 pairs of "muffs" around. One for each tractor, one for the lawnmower, one for the LT10 sawmill, one w/ my chainsaws and one so I don't have to listen to whatever my wife has on TV...
FTFY. ;)