Noob question 4 wheel drive

/ Noob question 4 wheel drive #1  

Ebbtide33

Tractor
Branson 2515h
Hi everyone! First time tractor owner here and I’m trying to learn as much as I can. I have a 25hp Branson and live in Florida. I’m using the tractor for mostly bucket and grapple work. My land is pretty sandy but not enough softness that I get stuck in. i do feel the tractor bog down frequently. I run my RPMs 15-1800 when working the two implements. Is this the sweet spot to run RPMs and also should I be running it in 4x4 mode all the time or stick with 2 wheel until I get stuck? Thanks for any help! Mike

/ Noob question 4 wheel drive #2  
I run in 4-WD at all times EXCEPT when traveling on hard surface roads.

The front wheels/tires move about 5% further than rears with 4-WD engaged. On hard surfaces having 4-WD engaged increases front tire wear slightly.

Moving over hard surfaces in the residential development I maintain my three cylinder engine has a low vibration point at 1,850 rpm which yields 11 mph in HST high range.

Last edited:
   / Noob question 4 wheel drive #4  
I run in 4-WD at all times EXCEPT when traveling on hard surface roads.

The front wheels/tires move about 5% faster than rears with 4-WD engaged. On hard surfaces having 4-WD engaged increases front tire wear slightly.
G'day Mate and welcome to TBN from Downunder.

I agree with Jeff regarding 4-WD usage, especially when it comes to FEL (Front End Loader) work. Always switch to 2-WD when travelling at speed (higher RPMs) on hard surface/paved/bitumen roads.

I can't speak to your RPM 'sweet spot' as every tractor is different. My 4105's (41hp) 'spot' is a titch over 2100... I can run all day at that with minimum diesel usage.

Enjoy the site.

/ Noob question 4 wheel drive #5  
It might be the fact that I have a 45 HP tractor, so it’s heavier than your 25 hp unit, but I find That I can work nearly all spring thru fall without ever needing 4x4 mode. Come winter it generally never leaves the 4x4 mode due to snow and ice.

if I’m digging, I may switch into it, but generally don’t have to.

/ Noob question 4 wheel drive #6  
On your sandy soil I would follow jeff9366 advise.
You will also find that you get through soft sand a bit easier since the front wheels are climbing on top of the ground rather than being pushed through the ground as in 2wd.

/ Noob question 4 wheel drive #7  
Just run with 4x4 engaged until you need to go to an hard surface. Specially with a loader. Without a loader it's no big deal.

These tractors can turn the wheels so much and the front is just plowing on sandy soil and applying side load to the wheel and hubs which is not ideal. With the 4x4 engaged, it will pull the front instead of plowing through the soil.

I also have a sandy soil, plus, I till my orchards and have to constantly drive through them. With 4x4 disengaged, it will turn, but will also literally open a ditch.

The standard width Branson has a 52 degree steering angle, mine is a Narrow version with 47 degrees. I can only see the OP's tractor getting a worse plowing effect than mine.

/ Noob question 4 wheel drive #8  
It might be the fact that I have a 45 HP tractor, so it’s heavier than your 25 hp unit, but I find That I can work nearly all spring thru fall without ever needing 4x4 mode. Come winter it generally never leaves the 4x4 mode due to snow and ice.

if I’m digging, I may switch into it, but generally don’t have to.
That Branson 2515 tractor ends up being the same weight and frame size as yours.

/ Noob question 4 wheel drive #9  
I run almost constantly 2wd. I only use 4wd when I’m on real hilly or slippery ground-which is pretty often for me. I do not like to run a 4wd unnecessarily on flat ground or pavement as it creates wear on components which are not needed. I kind of recoil when I see tractors run on hard ground and cutting & chunking tires and ground in a tight turn..... cant imagine the stress on front axle components and tires.
However, I wouldn’t wait “until you get stuck”, either. Survey the ground conditions, then use 4wd when you sense that you’ll need it. 4wd is a big plus when doing loader work since you are losing weight on the rear wheels and reducing rear wheels traction.

Last edited:
   / Noob question 4 wheel drive #10  
I run 4wd most of the time. Our farm is all mucky bottom land soil. On dry years, the ground might get hard enough by mid summer to not need it, but that is very rate. I also take it out of 4wd on pavement, unless I am doing loader work, in which case, the 4wd stays engaged.

On soft ground, your tractor will get significantly better fuel economy in 4wd, because no energy is wasted pushing the dead front axle. That is why it is rare to see big 2wd tractors out in fields these days. On a secondary tillage tool, like a disk or cultimulcher, you will get about 20 % more fuel economy on average if your 4wd is engaged compared to if it is not. That savings adds up fast if you are doing lots of acres.

Last edited: