Nortrac dozer steering problem

/ Nortrac dozer steering problem #1  

stumpfield

Gold Member
Tractor
2005 MT265B
I have a 2004 nortrac dozer. It will steer to the right but not to the left. When I press on the left steering pedal, it stops the dozer just like applying the brake. I read the manual and followed all the adjustment procedures. So far, no luck in getting the left steering to work. The dozer starts easily and runs fine. I now have to put it in reverse, step on the "right" steering pedal to go "left". It's tough to operate the dozer that way.
Apprearantly, there were some changes at Nortrac. They no longer provide phone support like they used to. Now, they just direct the calls to a contracted service center in my area. All they can tell me is to bring the dozer into their shop. Of course, they want business. They don't get paid talking over the phone. I can undertand that. However, I'm very disappointed with Nortrac's new policy in providing support.:mad: So, before trying to haul this 7000lb beast into their service center, I'm wondering if anyone can help me out. I know some of you here have the Yuchai dozer. It's the same as the Nortrac. Thanks for your help.

/ Nortrac dozer steering problem #2  
I PMed you some contact info on CTW that may be of some help. :eek:

/ Nortrac dozer steering problem #3  
It's simple. Your left steering clutch pack isn't separating, but the brake is being applied. Worst case scenario is you have probably broken the bell crank on the release fork, or (God forbid) you have seized the plates to the drum, which is usually caused by riding the steering clutch.

/ Nortrac dozer steering problem #4  
I have exactly the same problem with my NorTrac NB3500C, except my right steering/brake doesn't engage and when adjusted, the left locks both tracks.

Bob Rooks advice may seem simple to him, but it's Chinese to me. I'm handy with tools but not a mechanic and have never worked on a dozer before, so I'm not familiar with the terms he mentions.

Have you had any luck on solving your issue? If you have, could you share please. It would sure help me.

/ Nortrac dozer steering problem #5  
What seems to be an inherent problem with these dozers is the design of the sequential linkage for the steering clutch/brake. For the existing system to operate correctly the brake adjustment must be "pre-loaded" tight, meaning that the brake band will always be in contact and rubbing against the drum.
I don't mean to blow my own whistle, but I have re-engineered the linkage system to operate correctly, with significantly less pedal effort and no brake band/drum contact. Details are on the Yuchai/Guilin Community Facebook page.

/ Nortrac dozer steering problem #6  
What seems to be an inherent problem with these dozers is the design of the sequential linkage for the steering clutch/brake. For the existing system to operate correctly the brake adjustment must be "pre-loaded" tight, meaning that the brake band will always be in contact and rubbing against the drum.
I don't mean to blow my own whistle, but I have re-engineered the linkage system to operate correctly, with significantly less pedal effort and no brake band/drum contact. Details are on the Yuchai/Guilin Community Facebook page.

Thanks for the reply. Does your modification replace both of the adjusting rods? Also, how does one go about "pre-loading" the brakes? I'm really out of my depth working on this dozer, but have no other choices. Too isolated for help to come to me, or me to get it to a shop, so I'm stuck with working on it where it sits.

/ Nortrac dozer steering problem #7  
Thanks for the reply. Does your modification replace both of the adjusting rods?
No. It replaces the brake linkage only.

Also, how does one go about "pre-loading" the brakes?
The brakes have to be adjusted to where they are just dragging. This will shorten the life of the friction material.

I'm really out of my depth working on this dozer, but have no other choices. Too isolated for help to come to me, or me to get it to a shop, so I'm stuck with working on it where it sits.
That's weird, because when I worked for Cat we could go hundreds of miles on a service call. Do you have the owner's and parts manuals?

/ Nortrac dozer steering problem #8  

Yes, I have the owner's manual and parts manuals. I find that the directions for adjustments are sorely lacking in their translation. Nothing is mentioned about the "Adjusting Bolt" on the back side of the steering/brake housing, but from the diagram it appears to push the brake band in to the hub. Should I attempt to adjust it?

/ Nortrac dozer steering problem #9  
There are adjustment bolts on the backside of the compartment and as well underneath. If I remember correctly, you run them all in until snug, doing the ones in back first, then back off one turn and tighten the locknut. While the adjustment bolts are in snug make your pedal linkage adjustments. I found the manual informative, but it assumes the owner is experienced.