Not a good time to buy a car

/ Not a good time to buy a car #121  
Nevada's outback is like a car time capsule with those abandoned vehicles! It's crazy how the dry desert air works its magic on preserving them. Probably a goldmine for car enthusiasts looking for restoration projects! By the way, have you ever considered transporting one of those desert gems? I heard good things about A1AutoTransport. They might be the ticket to bringing those beauties back to life!

There's a reason those old vehicles are still there...their location is only accessible by dirt bike/atv or maybe a well-built Jeep. No transport company is going to build a road to go get them.

old Ford resized.jpg

June 1975ertbn1-4-24.jpg

Old Car ertbn1-4-24.jpg

/ Not a good time to buy a car #123  
I'm seeing some good used car pricing finally. Must be people who don't have cash, don't want to pay the interest.
I've noticed that too. Reluctantly, gonna have to replace my Jeep this year...the usual northeast problem, rust. Managed to sneak it thru inspection last year at a shop that doesn't look too closely, but don't think that's gonna work again. Been keeping my eyes open online, and I've noticed prices (on SUVs at least) down and inventory up even over the last couple months.
Trucks, not so much. Selection is only so-so, and they're asking stupid money. And lotsa luck finding anything that isn't a crew cab.
There's a reason those old vehicles are still there...their location is only accessible by dirt bike/atv or maybe a well-built Jeep. No transport company is going to build a road to go get them.
How'd they get there in the first place? None of the vehicles you posted were 4WD, or for that matter even looked like they originally had all that much ground clearance. Might be good parts vehicles though. Who owns them? I'm presuming much of that is BLM land?

While the logistics of getting one of those vehicles out present enough challenges, I'd imagine the fun only begins for once it's restored, being able to register it. My state doesn't require a title for anything over 25 years old, nor will it issue one for anything that old but from what I've read on classic car forums many states do.

/ Not a good time to buy a car #125  
That's a place to visit one day...
It’s attached to David Monthan AFB. Several miles of aircraft all in rows by type. I believe they have portions that are open to the public as a museum. I just drove by on the highway last summer and was amazed at how many aircraft there are.

/ Not a good time to buy a car #126  
I'm seeing some good used car pricing finally. Must be people who don't have cash, don't want to pay the interest.
My neighbor is a general manager of a new car dealership. He told me that used car prices were very high the last few years because new vehicles were in short supply and orders were taking 6 months or more. Now that new vehicles are available again, there is less demand for good condition used vehicles.

/ Not a good time to buy a car #127  
I've noticed that too. Reluctantly, gonna have to replace my Jeep this year...the usual northeast problem, rust. Managed to sneak it thru inspection last year at a shop that doesn't look too closely, but don't think that's gonna work again. Been keeping my eyes open online, and I've noticed prices (on SUVs at least) down and inventory up even over the last couple months.
Trucks, not so much. Selection is only so-so, and they're asking stupid money. And lotsa luck finding anything that isn't a crew cab.

How'd they get there in the first place? None of the vehicles you posted were 4WD, or for that matter even looked like they originally had all that much ground clearance. Might be good parts vehicles though. Who owns them? I'm presuming much of that is BLM land?

While the logistics of getting one of those vehicles out present enough challenges, I'd imagine the fun only begins for once it's restored, being able to register it. My state doesn't require a title for anything over 25 years old, nor will it issue one for anything that old but from what I've read on classic car forums many states do.
Salvage title.

/ Not a good time to buy a car #128  

They got there because there USED to be a road there. Then the road got washed away, either in spring runoff or just a cloudburst. Yes, mainly BLM land, and some
Forest Service.

Years ago when I first moved to Nevada whatever government agency controlled the land made it a point to run a grader or other piece of equipment up every road to make sure it was passable. If you ran cattle in an area, or had a mining claim, you were allowed to fix the road to access your holdings to maintain them. No longer. The tree huggers are now in control of our Federal land agencies. If a road washes on public land to where it is impassable then that is no longer considered a road and can be declared "wilderness" so no mechanized transportation (not even bicycles or things like hang gliders) is allowed. If anyone BUT a government agency brings in equipment to repair a washed-out road they are arrested and fined and their equipment confiscated.

/ Not a good time to buy a car #129  
They got there because there USED to be a road there. Then the road got washed away, either in spring runoff or just a cloudburst. Yes, mainly BLM land, and some
Forest Service.

Years ago when I first moved to Nevada whatever government agency controlled the land made it a point to run a grader or other piece of equipment up every road to make sure it was passable. If you ran cattle in an area, or had a mining claim, you were allowed to fix the road to access your holdings to maintain them. No longer. The tree huggers are now in control of our Federal land agencies. If a road washes on public land to where it is impassable then that is no longer considered a road and can be declared "wilderness" so no mechanized transportation (not even bicycles or things like hang gliders) is allowed. If anyone BUT a government agency brings in equipment to repair a washed-out road they are arrested and fined and their equipment confiscated.
Congress directed federal land management agencies to develop transportation management plans for road systems to serve the general administrative and public needs for federal lands. There was a process, and public input was part of that process. Only road systems that are shown on the transportation maps are funded by Congress to do maintenance or reconstruction. There are thousands of miles of old roads that are not on the transportation plan and don’t receive funding to maintain and in some cases they are intended to be closed to improve natural resource objectives. Many of these are in creek bottoms and are causing water quality issues, so the intent is for them to remain closed and unused. Other old roads were dropped because of minimal use/access needs and an overall objective to minimize road system miles because we cannot possibly maintain/fund all of these road miles.

Last edited:
   / Not a good time to buy a car #130  
Did @NoTrespassing ever purchase a car? I keep seeing reports that the new auto market has burst, but I don't hang around dealer lots much.
If you have time, a few years ago there was a way to order a vehicle in advance to your own personal specs, at a few bucks above dealer invoice. Perhaps through the credit union to be delivered to your local dealership.