Not a good time to buy a car

/ Not a good time to buy a car #51  
Wow, you guys are good to your cars.. Mine was lucky to get a oil change every 12 years..I'm getting better...
I don’t believe that I’ve ever had a vehicle for 12 years. If you buy used, it will be nothing but a pile of rust by then.

/ Not a good time to buy a car #52  
I don’t believe that I’ve ever had a vehicle for 12 years. If you buy used, it will be nothing but a pile of rust by then.
Buy a Tacoma and you will be surprised. I've had 5 and I am driving the fifth one...

/ Not a good time to buy a car #53  
Buy a Tacoma and you will be surprised. I've had 5 and I am driving the fifth one...
My neighbor has a 2009 which he mostly uses to go to the grocery store, post office and the coffee shop every morning. I doubt that he’ll have it another year due to the rust. He got it to replace an older Toyota on their rusted frame recall.

/ Not a good time to buy a car #54  

Wow!

I have 4 vehicles licensed for the road. Newest is 6 years old. The other 3 are at least 15 years old. Drove this GMC Terravan for 32-1/2 years:
Terravan at Stewart Creekr Sep 1977.jpg

/ Not a good time to buy a car #55  
Wow!

I have 4 vehicles licensed for the road. Newest is 6 years old. The other 3 are at least 15 years old. Drove this GMC Terravan for 32-1/2 years:
View attachment 738214
How many months out of the year are you driving in salt on a regular basis? Around here they start using it in Ocotbr or November, and stop in April or later. Rust starts showing in 4-5 years, frames start going bad in about 15. I sold my 2004 Ranger last year because of rust, the mechanic who bought it said that when he started needle scaling the frame there were holes through it. I hadn't run it in 3 winters, trying unsuccessfully to keep it from rusting out. I had a lot of money tied up in it over a 3 year period; front end, new rear springs, brakes all around, new cats, 10 ply tires, etc.

/ Not a good time to buy a car #56  
How many months out of the year are you driving in salt on a regular basis? Around here they start using it in Ocotbr or November, and stop in April or later. Rust starts showing in 4-5 years, frames start going bad in about 15. I sold my 2004 Ranger last year because of rust, the mechanic who bought it said that when he started needle scaling the frame there were holes through it. I hadn't run it in 3 winters, trying unsuccessfully to keep it from rusting out. I had a lot of money tied up in it over a 3 year period; front end, new rear springs, brakes all around, new cats, 10 ply tires, etc.
I'm in Western, Pa.
We generally drive in salt around Nov- March
My pickup is a 1991, my wife's car is a 2005. Very little rust on either, I oil them every year which mostly solves the rust problem

/ Not a good time to buy a car #57  
How many months out of the year are you driving in salt on a regular basis?
Zero.

I know about salted roads - I grew up in northeastern Pennsylvania where the salt was also killing off cars. My dad, same as you, also went through the process of getting new vehicles because his current vehicles wouldn't pass state inspection due to rust. One of the reasons I live in Nevada now. Guess the only point I was trying to make is that I don't remember what its like to buy new vehicles all the time. I could - but I much prefer my older ones that I'm familiar with and comfortable with. I hate all the new tech in the new vehicles.

/ Not a good time to buy a car #58  
Thanks, I'll pass. One of the biggest rustbuckets out there.

/ Not a good time to buy a car #59  
One of the reasons I live in Nevada now. Guess the only point I was trying to make is that I don't remember what its like to buy new vehicles all the time. I could - but I much prefer my older ones that I'm familiar with and comfortable with. I hate all the new tech in the new vehicles.
I'd love it if vehicles lasted forever here in the northeast like they do out west but they don't. I don't really like all the tech-y stuff in new vehicles either, and plan to avoid as much as I can for as long as I can, but sooner or later I'll have to deal with it.
While you live in some beautiful country, I like it here and plan to live the rest of my years here.

/ Not a good time to buy a car #60  
I'd love it if vehicles lasted forever here in the northeast like they do out west but they don't. I don't really like all the tech-y stuff in new vehicles either, and plan to avoid as much as I can for as long as I can, but sooner or later I'll have to deal with it.
While you live in some beautiful country, I like it here and plan to live the rest of my years here.
They use deicing chemicals other than salt where I live. Too bad they just use rock salt in your area.