Not to start an argument..............

/ Not to start an argument.............. #1  

robertwhite

Silver Member
But, if all things were equal feature wise, is it really worth spending the extra $$3-5K for an Orange or Green machine over a less "mainstream" brand? I can't imagine a Kubota or JD being that much more (if at all) reliable than say a Kioti, CC/Yanmar, NH, etc.

Other than resale and dealer attitude, what made you pick an Orange or Green over other brands? (if you shopped other brands).

As an example...... A Cub Cadet/Yanmar EX450 with shuttle and FEL is a very solid machine (from my limited viewing time) and is at least $5K less than a similarly equipped Kubota.

Try to keep this strictly on a value/dollar level as dealers can effect sales, not value/machine quality.

Really interested in seeing what made people choose one way or another.

/ Not to start an argument.............. #2  
This discussion could go on forever...:D

It is your call. I invest in Green for a number of reasons. Re-sale value is but one of them. Parts availability is another. Quality is another. A steadfast, rock solid company behind the product doing things right for many years is but another. My list is long, but it is your decision.
There are those who buy things from HF and are satisfied that they last "good enough". Same with tractors, and am not making any inferences as to similarities between HF products and the brands you mentioned).
Your call if "viewing time" is good enough to pick out your investment. Much like the stock market too....gotta make the tough decision yourself.
Wish you luck. :)

/ Not to start an argument.............. #3  
I prefer the green ones because they have been the least expensive to own over time. Agree with the rock solid company and other atributes that beenthere mentioned. My preferences are Deere and Caterpillar, then Kubota. It is not that the others are bad but I don't see the need to look any farther than these brands.

My dad always had Chrysler Imperials when I was growing up, a good car but not very popular. I learned early on you better drive something with a good service organization behind it--that is available everywhere.:D

/ Not to start an argument.............. #4  
I've found the price difference to not be that great if you do a fair comparison of products, so I prefer the known brand. However, if the price difference is great enough, I might take a chance on a lower known brand.

/ Not to start an argument.............. #5  
The problem, in my little world, with your scenario, or straw man argument is this.

A Kubota B2320 is $11800, give or take. Add a FEL and you push $14500K.

Using $4000 as an average of your postulated difference, I would only wonder where I might buy this equivalent 23 hp tractor, with FEL, for $10,500?

To be blunt, there are a few, very few. Two year old, left over FarmTrac or re-badged Montana or similar. But to my knowledge, it cannot be done with Kioti or CubCadet. Also, I have never found New Holland cheaper than Green or Orange and wouldn't expect it to be. I found it curious why you included them in the "far less money" category.

You asked why I choose Kubota. Ah....easy. Quality. Simply put, Frankly? i simply have not found the extreme price differential of which you speak.

/ Not to start an argument.............. #6  
I echo the sentiments above! Been a life-long John Deere owner and proponent. With JD, I just ordered fuel bowl gaskets for a 1947 "M". Right off their website and delivered within 3 days. I think you'll find in your survey that most people will 'dote' on the brand that they personally own! Whether it's human nature, to reassure themselves that 'they' made the right decision, or whether they're truly satisfied with the given product. JD has been good to me for service, parts, and quality. But that said, I've, more than glanced at Kubota, and even Kioti! I've got a Toshiba 42" LCD flat screen TV that I love. But the guy next door will rave about his Sony Plasma..........human nature kickin' in?? I'm sure there're are folks that have much success w/ Mahandra etc. This will be an interesting thread to watch! ~Scotty

PS- Availability of JD Parts- Great! Pricey? You 'betcha'! (To quote Sara Palin) ~S

/ Not to start an argument.............. #7  
Yes with the big 4 (deere, kubota, Ford, Mahindra) you're paying for readily available support be it parts or repair. Is it available else where,,,,,,yes,,,,,maybe. So I'd rather pay the extra knowing that my dealer is close by for my main machine. Along with the large players in the tractor market I've got to give a big thanks and credit to my Bobcat dealer. Although they are about an hour away they have been super in helping me get my old antiqueted 742 (I think) Skid Steer running. They will even deliver parts to me where I work at now extra cost. So it all boils down to are you happy with your machine and parts service support.

/ Not to start an argument.............. #8  
robertwhite,

If you want to see what put Deere in the top billing with tractors go to Tractordata and look up the original price for Deere 4020's. Then go to Tractorhouse and do a search for 4020's. Almost all of the listings are for more than their original selling price, really good ones are almost three times that. Not the case for all Deere models but if you take care of them the resale certainly offsets the small increase in original price.

/ Not to start an argument.............. #9  
But, if all things were equal feature wise, is it really worth spending the extra $$3-5K for an Orange or Green machine over a less "mainstream" brand? I can't imagine a Kubota or JD being that much more (if at all) reliable than say a Kioti, CC/Yanmar, NH, etc.

Other than resale and dealer attitude, what made you pick an Orange or Green over other brands? (if you shopped other brands).

As an example...... A Cub Cadet/Yanmar EX450 with shuttle and FEL is a very solid machine (from my limited viewing time) and is at least $5K less than a similarly equipped Kubota.

Try to keep this strictly on a value/dollar level as dealers can effect sales, not value/machine quality.

If dealer support, established historical record and parts availability is of any value: yes.

If the perception of a low upfront price is what you want then: No.

/ Not to start an argument.............. #10  
But, if all things were equal feature wise, is it really worth spending the extra $$3-5K for an Orange or Green machine over a less "mainstream" brand?

The fact you lumped NH in with CC and Yanmar tells me a lot. I don't even think Kioti belongs lumped in with Yanmar. A quick Internet search shows an EX450 with FEL is about $25,000. Are you claiming a Kubota and JD are 10% - 20% more for the same tractor with a FEL?

I can't imagine a Kubota or JD being that much more (if at all) reliable...
Other than resale and dealer attitude...
Try to keep this strictly on a value/dollar level as dealers can effect sales...

Are you? You appear to have eliminated resale and dealer attitude from your evaluation and are focused on primarily on price. If that's true, then a second or third tier brand is the best choice.

Why did I buy what I did? Kind of simple. I looked at the brand tractors people who used them to make a living were using, e.g., farmers, landscapers, etc. That narrowed my choices to JD, Kubota and NH. I set a price point I was willing to spend and decided it was going to be one of these three brands and I'd rather buy a used one from one of these dealers before a new one from a second or third tier brand.