Novice wants a MIG, advise ?

/ Novice wants a MIG, advise ? #131  
It was me that started this thread?
"stop with the discussion and just decide on unit and buy it, and then deal with electrical power as necessary, in lieu of redoing all the wiring in shop just get or make up large extension cord to reach from receptacle to welder."
Wow thought the forum was for this purpose. Guess I was wrong. :unsure:
If I may I will tell you my story.
I purchased a 160 amp stick welder, a DC inverter welder first. Absoutlely loved it. I hadn't welded in years and the inverter type is a vast improvement.
I weld little projects, fix broken things, usually nothing heavier than 1/4"
Then I wanted to try a mig but couldn't justify buying a tank or renting one and then gas for the few times I will be using it.
So I bought a wire flux from Harbor Freight.....another inverter type.
The "Titanium" line, the 125 amp. That machine works on 120 / 240.
I've had both for several years, haven't found anything that one or the other couldn't weld.
For thin metal, the flux is great. I've welded tubing the thickness of a lawn mower handle with no problem.
One more thing about flux.....it isn't affected by wind like a mig would be. That makes it ideal for taking it to the job instead of taking the job to you.
I think the stick welder was about $150 (Amico) and the flux about $199.
Of course you can get a much larger welder, but if I read your original post accurately it seems that you just may never need it.
And if you need 1/2" welded....maybe you can just take it and have someone do it that has the equipment.
I see no reason to spend a lot of money on a welder that may be 2 or 3 times what you will actually ever need.
Just my opinion.
And good luck to you.
I did a lot of research before I bought the two I have and I am glad I did.

/ Novice wants a MIG, advise ? #132  
... ....
And if you need 1/2" welded....maybe you can just take it and have someone do it that has the equipment.
I see no reason to spend a lot of money on a welder that may be 2 or 3 times what you will actually ever need.
Just my opinion.
And good luck to you.
I did a lot of research before I bought the two I have and I am glad I did.
Ditto. I agree.

Three yard-sale welders here, cheap. Then the $149 Amico 130A flux wire welder. I like it best of all.

This is simply all I need for my minor farm repairs.

There can be pride of ownership in buying pro gear but ... worst case I've read about, someone who bought a $3,000+ SnapOn welder only because he could finance it with them and could only afford the minimum monthly payments - forever. At maybe 29 % interest.

Because he wanted to see if he would like to learn welding.

/ Novice wants a MIG, advise ? #133  
I just got an email this morning that at Harbor Freight there's a coupon for the Titanium MIG 170 for $520, I have one and have tried to kill it unsuccessfully... I think I mentioned it before but it's 110/220 with included cord, comes with a spool of flux core and solid I believe as well as the regulator and hose for gas or use flux core, it takes the bigger spools just fine... I just upgrade to the $7ish ground clamp from HFT from the cheapie that it comes with, I even go as cheap as to enlarge the stock ring terminal on the end of the wire with a tapered punch and socket to go from the stock 6mm bolt to 8mm... their fancier cast ground clamp would be nicer but whatever...

/ Novice wants a MIG, advise ?
I just got an email this morning that at Harbor Freight there's a coupon for the Titanium MIG 170 for $520, I have one and have tried to kill it unsuccessfully... I think I mentioned it before but it's 110/220 with included cord, comes with a spool of flux core and solid I believe as well as the regulator and hose for gas or use flux core, it takes the bigger spools just fine... I just upgrade to the $7ish ground clamp from HFT from the cheapie that it comes with, I even go as cheap as to enlarge the stock ring terminal on the end of the wire with a tapered punch and socket to go from the stock 6mm bolt to 8mm... their fancier cast ground clamp would be nicer but whatever...
I have not seen the coupon, yet. But this sounds like a capable machine suited for my needs! Will investigate. My purchase has been delayed by an unexpected expense. How long is yet to be determined. Any comment about part compatibility, such as replacement tips and/or any "common" things you might need? Every once and awhile I see Tweco mentioned as a brand/type. I don't know what I don't know. I do know that I hate having to order replacement parts! I would much much prefer to buy stuff locally.
Seems it "might" come with the gas hook-up. Hard to tell since they list (2) SKU numbers on the web and I don't know the SKU for the sale item. I am so skeptical of deals these days. :unsure: :) Have been burned by bait and switch and "big box" models of supposedly the same item, which turns out to be a cheapened version. That is another rant for another day. :mad:
Thanks again.

/ Novice wants a MIG, advise ? #135  
Spike,

Like others have said - you will need 240v to reach your goal of that thick material. Put in another outlet for the MIG if you have to.

Surprisingly Harbor Freight has some not half bad machines in the $600-800 class for MIGs. They have come along way and they stock consumables.

Good Luck,
Blake

/ Novice wants a MIG, advise ? #136  
Oh yah... Frogot this tidbit.

For a longer Torch check out YesWelding on Amazon. They are cheap and we have a few around at work after they do stupid things to the original ones....
Blake

/ Novice wants a MIG, advise ? #137  
I have not seen the coupon, yet. But this sounds like a capable machine suited for my needs! Will investigate. My purchase has been delayed by an unexpected expense. How long is yet to be determined. Any comment about part compatibility, such as replacement tips and/or any "common" things you might need? Every once and awhile I see Tweco mentioned as a brand/type. I don't know what I don't know. I do know that I hate having to order replacement parts! I would much much prefer to buy stuff locally.
Seems it "might" come with the gas hook-up. Hard to tell since they list (2) SKU numbers on the web and I don't know the SKU for the sale item. I am so skeptical of deals these days. :unsure: :) Have been burned by bait and switch and "big box" models of supposedly the same item, which turns out to be a cheapened version. That is another rant for another day. :mad:
Thanks again.
Buy welder through local welding supply that also stocks supplies and parts .... For Example there are three local "hardware" stores that handle FORNEY in my area.... And local Tractor Supply (25 miles away) has HOBART, rural living you know....Closest local true welding and gas supplier(s) is actually 37 miles away.... Usually stock up on some spare consumables when going to "big city" when making shopping runs for household and need gas and wire and contact tips....

/ Novice wants a MIG, advise ? #138  
Ive never owned a lighter newer inverter type welder just the heavy transformer type welders my smaller Hobarts and Lincolns are heavy, you may want to invest or build a cart for them for ease of movement, Imo. The HF cart is pretty inexpensive and a back saver, the front swivel casters are very cheap may want to upgrade or get metal bushings for them. Still under $50 total including worthwhile upgrades you have to do yourself. Also just my unfounded opinion but some of these off brand foreign welders in order to fall in a price point and still market good penetration power, good duty cycles, and include so many accessories probably aren't using higher end components where they need them.

Attachments

• KIMG1488.JPG
    KIMG1488.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 74
   / Novice wants a MIG, advise ? #139  
I bought a Miller 180 Auto-set about 10yrs back when I started my sign shop. Got the spool gun with it because I mainly weld aluminum. That blue machine has paid for itself MANY times over!! I've gone through a few spool guns (they get beat up) but, the machine itself has never had an issue. The auto-set feature never really worked for me (heard they've improved since then) and I find it a pain to switch from welding MIG alum (spool gun) to the steel torch so, often just use my old 'Buzz-Box' Miller Stick for steel. I'm decent with stick although much better with a Mig torch. That is why recently, I decided it was time to have a dedicated Steel MIG machine.

So, the search began. After much debate (& dozens of U-tube vids) I settled on one of the new Harbor freight models.
Since they offer spool guns now, I actually decided to set up a new Aluminum welder and keep my Miller 180 for Steel. The machine I chose is the Vulcan MIG-Max 215. It can run on 120v & 220v (has both connectors), comes with Mig torch, 10ft leads, a Sheet Metal Guage (super handy) and regulator plus extra tips. The machine is has inverter technology and has an "Auto" feature (they call Synergic) which works very well and very helpful for someone new-ish to MIG welding. It also uses the same consumables their other machines use and heard they are the same as Lincoln. Had also considered one of their Titanium machines which, also had good reviews.

I got the orange unit at HB on sale for $849 + the Spool Gun on sale for $180. Added Another 80cf tank of shielded gas for $240 (owner tank) and of course spools of wire for both machines. All in I'm around $1300. So far, all I can say that I am quite impressed with the quality of this machine. My aluminum welds look better than ever. The auto feature works really well but, I still run in manual mode and plugged in to 220v. Have not tried running on 120v yet. Time will tell how it holds up but, for now I am very happy with this purchase.

Good luck with your purchase. Remember, if a Good welder you ain't....Just use a grinder and some paint!
-RS

/ Novice wants a MIG, advise ? #140  
I disagree with some folks who say flux core is not good for thin wall sheet metal. These small beads are on an old, cheaper, worn out craftsman bottom chest I almost scrapped, made 15 or so yrs ago with my old 100 amp wire feed Lincoln flux core welder. The thickness of box is probably 22 gauge angle iron used is probably 3/16. Practice makes perfect imo.

Attachments

• KIMG1506.JPG
    KIMG1506.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 67
  • KIMG1502.JPG
    KIMG1502.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 72
  • KIMG1501.JPG
    KIMG1501.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 71
  • KIMG1507.JPG
    KIMG1507.JPG